Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Group and Health Track
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:42 PM
SOA

Default How long to prepare for FSA Health Exams?

I should be getting my ASA in the coming months and would like to start planning out my schedule for the fellowship exams/modules. I'm looking to get through them as quickly as possible, but want to make sure I'm not getting ahead of myself and taking on more than I can handle.

IMO, per prelim exam, I thought 2 months was very fast, whereas 3-4 months was a good, solid pace. I know it really is a case-by-case scenario, but what would you say is an ample amount of time I should set aside to prepare for either of the Core/Advanced exams? Also, when are these two exams typically offered? I see the next sitting for these two is coming at the close of April, so I am thinking the next sitting will be sometime in October or November.

Thanks in advance. If anyone would like to share their experiences with any sort of strategic order of exams/modules they used to get through them as soon as possible, that would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-17-2015, 11:37 AM
SOA AAA

College: CMU
Favorite beer: West Coast IPAs

I started studying for the Core exam in mid June. Probably put in between 350-400 hours, but it was heavily back-loaded on the last 6 weeks.

Attended the Mate Seminar on Sep 2nd, and that was what really kicked off my dedicated study.

Had basically just read the study manual 2-3 times and glanced at flashcards for a few hours prior to the seminar. For the next exam I'd probably want to kick off dedicated study maybe a week or two before seminar, but not too much earlier.

It's still good to "start" earlier, and slowly read through manual so that you can let the main ideas set in your brain, before focusing on the details.

Edit: Sittings are end of April/end of October