Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Old 11-12-2002, 12:03 PM

Default Post FSA Education

What would be the best option for post FSA continuing education? Would a masters degree eg MBA be worth the investment. I've heard people say that getting tha CFA designation wouldn't be too hard after FSA, but would one gain much from it?
Old 11-12-2002, 04:12 PM

Presuming you might be interested in P/C side too, What about having an FCAS after your FSA?
Old 11-12-2002, 04:50 PM

Default Re: Post FSA Education

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroSoul
What would be the best option for post FSA continuing education? Would a masters degree eg MBA be worth the investment. I've heard people say that getting tha CFA designation wouldn't be too hard after FSA, but would one gain much from it?
This was meant to be a joke, right? If you are an FSA, i assume you have quite a few years of experience (5 - 10?). Then you know better then anybody here what YOU need to enhance your future career. CFA, MBA, EA, MAAA -- it all depends on what YOU are doing and what YOU want to do in the future. Don't tell me that you just finished FSA and have no idea what to do with it.
Old 11-12-2002, 05:56 PM
SOA AAA

College: University of Wisconsin
Favorite beer: Ale, Lager, you name it

I suppose one's answer can vary depending on the goal. For example, simple economics could point you in one direction if for example, your company pays a nice bonus upon completion of a CLU program.

That said, I've looked at CFA, CLU, and LOMA exams. LOMA exams are trivial and would add no value. A CLU designation doesn't require too much work - I got one in about a year as I only had to take 7 exams and put in about 25 hours of study on each. The value of a CLU designation comes if you work with agents. You'll see things a bit more from their perspective, and they'll have added respect for you since you went through (from their perspective) a very tough program.

I also took CFA1. I actually read all the material rather than simply reading the study guides. I learned quite a bit, and it was also a good refresher on some of the topics like economics that I had taken many years earlier. It took 100 hours of study, but that could have been much less. The CFA exams are worthwhile if you wish to be as proficient in your understanding of assets as you are in your understanding of liabilties.
Old 11-12-2002, 06:37 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers Nerd
The value of a CLU designation comes if you work with agents. You'll see things a bit more from their perspective, and they'll have added respect for you since you went through (from their perspective) a very tough program.
But you probably won't endear yourself to them if you point out that you only had to study for 25 hours to pass the exams that it took them years to pass.

I also got my CLU designation because I work with agents. Yes, the exams are much, much easier. But I actually spent a fair bit of time studying for them, not because I had to, but because I really wanted to learn as much as I could as opposed to simply wanting to get a few more letters behind my name. NTTAWWT. (A lot of it was new material for me because it was U.S.-specific and because it had been about 10 years since I had gotten my FSA.)