Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson
Actuarial Jobs

Visit our site for the most up to date jobs for actuaries.

Actuarial Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Health, Life, Pension and Non-Tradtional Jobs.

Actuarial Meeting Schedule
Browse this year's meetings and which recruiters will attend.

Contact DW Simpson
Have a question?
Let's talk.
You'll be glad you did.

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Old 11-10-2002, 12:29 PM

Default Is Pension a Dead End?

I'm currently looking for an entry-level actuarial job (I've passed 2 exams) and keep hearing from various sources (recruiters, actuaries, etc.) that its wise to avoid pension jobs until one is sure that this is the area they want to specialize in. I keep hearing over and over that the pension field is so specialized, that if your first job is in pension, its pretty hard to switch over to P/C, life, etc. and you'll forever only be considered for pension jobs. At this point, I have no clue what field I'm ultimately interested in, I'm just looking to gain experience and exposure before making that decision down the road.

Can anyone shed some light on this situation? Any feedback or past experiences you could share on this topic would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 11-10-2002, 03:47 PM

I somewhat agree with that statement. I think it cuts both ways, though. If you are an FSA or ASA and you get hired for a pension job from a life job, your compensation is going to reflect that because, really, you don't know anything about doing a pension job. I think it's important to figure out what you like early on. Internships help a lot with this, but it sounds like it is too late for that. Maybe interview in several areas and ask people why they chose and like their discipline?
Old 11-13-2002, 01:00 PM
CAS AAA

Studying for Nothing - I'm done!

I was in Pension and just switched to P/C. I find that many things correlate between the two jobs, and that I am not entry level here. I have used many things that I learned at my consulting job to help me over here. I didn't have any problems finding another job in a different area.
Old 11-13-2002, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.T.
I was in Pension and just switched to P/C. I find that many things correlate between the two jobs, and that I am not entry level here. I have used many things that I learned at my consulting job to help me over here. I didn't have any problems finding another job in a different area.
Why did you end up making the switch? I'm currently in pension but fear I will grow bored with this work after a few years.
Old 11-13-2002, 01:56 PM
CAS AAA

Studying for Nothing - I'm done!

Too many hours, and too far of a commute (2 hrs. one way on a good day). I just had a child and wanted to commit more time to my family and less time to work. I felt like I needed a change.