Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

2017 ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

View Poll Results: Is 6-years old too young to begin working on your ASA?
Yes, she should enjoy her youth. 11 32.35%
No, you can never start too young. 13 38.24%
Point her towards another career--any would be better 10 29.41%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-18-2002, 01:08 AM

Default How young is too young to start studying for exams?

My 6-year old daughter was interogating me about why I was studying for Course 5 rather than playing with her. I explained that I needed to study to pass the exam. Why? So I can change my name from "Relaxed" to "Relaxed ASA". Why? So I'll make more money? Where do you get money? Work. I know that, but why do they pay you? For working? I know, but what is it you do at work?

Contemplating how to explain to a 6-year old how an actuary contributes to the economy, I remembered a friend of mine who at a young age asked his father what he did, who tried to explain to a young child what a Metulurgical Engineer was. Several years later, my friend realized what his dad should have said--"I'm a scientist."

So I told my daughter that my job was doing math. She got really excited about this. She printed off several pages of arithmatic problems from the computer and started intently solving problems. Her mom walked in and asked her to feed the dog. She told her, "I can't. I need to do these math problems so I can get my ASA and make lots of money."
Old 10-18-2002, 08:38 AM
glenn

Old 10-18-2002, 08:39 AM
urysohn

I think your daughter's fine, but I think your wife should seriously consider kicking your butt. :P
Old 10-18-2002, 09:55 AM

Reminds me of my daughter about the same age "I want to be an actuary so I can type letters and numbers on the computer". These are the good years, when our kids actually do want to be like us.
Old 10-18-2002, 10:30 AM

Get her started taking the multiple choice exams. She could get lucky and pass....
Old 10-18-2002, 11:04 AM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If we can dress up 6-year-olds like adult beauty queens and parade them around the country for beauty contests (a la Jon Benet), why not have them also study for actuarial exams in their spare time? :P
Old 10-18-2002, 12:30 PM
SOA AAA

My 8-year-old has recently been getting up early (6:00 or so) and doing extra math problems from outdated books. (The school is on a brand-spankin'-new math kick, so the old books were given to those who wanted them.)
I had to take them away because he wasn't reading enough, and his comprehension vesus math scores were too eerily similar to mine. Now he gets up and reads.

Actuarial Science is a last resort for most people. I'd rather he do something that will fund my retirement.
Old 10-18-2002, 01:22 PM
Moderator2

My friend, whose wife is a concert pianist, started his son on music even before he was born. Don't know if it helped at all.
Old 10-21-2002, 04:05 PM

My kid has asked many times why I study for exams. I tell her that I want to learn more and I get paid more for learning more. She isn't much for school or studying, but she does like when we do our homework together.
Old 10-21-2002, 04:54 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Hires Root
Default too early?

One son was a whiz with probability, inventing multivariate games at 10.
As he was starting medical school, I asked if he had ever considered becoming an actuary. He responded "Yes, but by middle school all the math seemed too easy. I wanted a bigger challenge." He was being honest -- and humbled me plenty.

Two other sons noticed the high income, asked how long I spent in school. Including 'travel time' I said 30 years. They said maybe they'd do something else. That's good, they weren't up to it.