Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics > Health and Fitness Forum
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe

Old 03-10-2020, 08:32 AM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: the one you're buying me

Quote:
Originally Posted by LICENSED TO ILL View Post
I cannot get past 4-5 days sober. As much as this thread has gotten me thinking/attempting sober I think I'm going to have to go to the next step of contacting AA.
You may want to talk to a doctor first. Many health plans have alcohol screening programs.
Old 03-10-2020, 09:24 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
75 days is a LONG time imo. i remember not being able to envision a day without it without lots of pain. a week? eternity. 30 days? unimaginable

almost 37 years? my, how time flies when you're having fun!
first 2 weeks was hard. I had to remove all alcohol from the house. Literally pouring liqueur down the drain instead of drinking it.

Only exception was my wife could have her gross beer in the fridge.

Has anyone seen 'Flight'. Its the best portrayal of alcoholism in a movie Ive ever seen. just skip the crash scenes and watch the rest. That movie hits deep. I cried when
Spoiler:
he tells the hearing hes drunk right now.
Old 03-10-2020, 09:47 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataDan View Post
first 2 weeks was hard. I had to remove all alcohol from the house. Literally pouring liqueur down the drain instead of drinking it.

Only exception was my wife could have her gross beer in the fridge.

Has anyone seen 'Flight'. Its the best portrayal of alcoholism in a movie Ive ever seen. just skip the crash scenes and watch the rest. That movie hits deep. I cried when
Spoiler:
he tells the hearing hes drunk right now.
totally agree. whoever wrote this had a deep understanding of addiction

denzel kills it as he almost always does

oh, and congrats! it's hard but oh so worth it imo
Old 03-11-2020, 08:18 AM
SOA

Favorite beer: San Pelligreno

Quote:
Im part of a heavy drinking crowd (through my entire adult life). I would say I have a drinking problem, but it hasn't directly ruined my life yet.

I got really upset with myself last December after going on a bender. Said I was going on a 100 day challenge to stay sober.

point being, I can relate in that I seem like the ONLY one I know that doesnt drink now. It is a bit isolating. I have one friend that really understands what I am doing and is very encouraging, but everyone else is just waiting for me to fall off the wagon so we can get back to drinking together. downside of being a good drinking buddy is that you become every one's drinking buddy.

Similar to your OP in that I am a 3 beer 4 nights a week with occasional 7-10 drink days and the rare full 20+ bender. Up to 75 days sober now.
Good work brother!!! Keep at it,find some new friends or a hobby. I am playing a lot more golf because I never have a day where I just feel like sleeping or laying around. I also started watching indie movies at home. Been watching A24 movies and they are great and also give a perspective on life that I might have been missing while doing the same thing almost all the time for 20 years.
It's times like these time and time again
Old 03-11-2020, 08:34 AM
Non-Actuary

College: Angelo State University

So the first few weeks and months for me were pretty difficult, as far as getting through the first week, be patient with yourself. Allow yourself to do anything (within reason of course), that doesn't involve alcohol. For me, if that meant splurging a bit to distract myself from not drinking or whatever (one time I dropped like $75 to do a few go kart races), then that's what helped me.

That said, again, do it within reason. Obvi don't choose other activities or things that you have had trouble with quitting in the past. I'm a money stickler, so splurging a bit is not a big deal to me.
Old 03-11-2020, 08:47 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgtatum View Post
Good work brother!!! Keep at it,find some new friends or a hobby. I am playing a lot more golf because I never have a day where I just feel like sleeping or laying around. I also started watching indie movies at home. Been watching A24 movies and they are great and also give a perspective on life that I might have been missing while doing the same thing almost all the time for 20 years.
I met some guys that are really into rock climbing. they have been taking me with them to the local gym. Hoping to get outdoors with them soon.

definitely a hobby that I couldnt do while drinking and tired all the time.

one of the issues ive had over the last 10 years is dealing with chronic medical issues. 2018/2019 were bad years for me just from being in constant pain. So much of the time I really couldnt do anything.
Old 03-11-2020, 09:24 AM
SOA

Quote:
I met some guys that are really into rock climbing. they have been taking me with them to the local gym. Hoping to get outdoors with them soon.

definitely a hobby that I couldnt do while drinking and tired all the time.

one of the issues ive had over the last 10 years is dealing with chronic medical issues. 2018/2019 were bad years for me just from being in constant pain. So much of the time I really couldnt do anything.
I don't want to frame not drinking as a panacea, but, it's very unlikely to make any medical issues worse, and it may help make it better.

Also rock climbing is absolutely awesome!
Old 03-11-2020, 11:14 AM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: the one you're buying me

To me, "rock climbing" indoors, is simply "climbing." Unless they are actually bringing the rocks inside, which I doubt. Inside, you are not climbing rocks, you are climbing a wall.

I've used indoors to help train a bit for outdoors, but I never say I went "rock climbing" if I did it inside.
Old 03-11-2020, 11:30 AM
SOA

Favorite beer: San Pelligreno

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdsafdsa View Post
I don't want to frame not drinking as a panacea, but, it's very unlikely to make any medical issues worse, and it may help make it better.

Also rock climbing is absolutely awesome!
Eliminating something from your diet that causes constant inflammation, dehydration, and weight gain should have quite a few health benefits. It's definitely not going to prevent you from ever getting ill again, but it can be responsible for an array of aches, pains, and nagging conditions. I look about 5 years younger than I did a year ago just due to my complexion being so much better.
It's times like these time and time again
Old 03-11-2020, 12:55 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG5150 View Post
To me, "rock climbing" indoors, is simply "climbing." Unless they are actually bringing the rocks inside, which I doubt. Inside, you are not climbing rocks, you are climbing a wall.

I've used indoors to help train a bit for outdoors, but I never say I went "rock climbing" if I did it inside.
I broadened the terms for the general crowd here. You are 100% correct, and in our group we just say 'gym' or 'climbing' for indoor climbing.

add: while correct, its odd that you came into a thread where people are trying to overcome drinking problems to tell some one 'you dont really rock climb'

Last edited by DataDan; 03-11-2020 at 01:27 PM..