Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

View Poll Results: What should I feel about this whole mess?
Very guilty 1 4.17%
Guilty 0 0%
Nothing 14 58.33%
Irritated 9 37.50%
Very irritated 0 0%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-02-2020, 03:47 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheffey View Post
My boss is relatively new and often doesn’t forward reports that include my area of specialization. I have verbally asked for more updates then I get. However sometimes it’s hard to know what you’re not being told about and ask for it.

One of these reports was pretty important, and apparently he hadn’t sent it to the business lead in one of the first quarters of his job. He sent me an email after this guy complained, asking me if I had communicated the report. Technically I could’ve asked for this report because had I thought about it I would’ve known that this report was being produced. But it would’ve been nice for him to send it to me.

The quarter after, I was sent this report by one of my contacts who is part of producing it, and I had forwarded it out to the business leads in that case.

How guilty should I feel about this whole thing, or if not guilty at all how irritated should I feel?
Remember that it's corporate and thus counts for nearly nothing in the bigger picture.
Yes, well, that's partially the result of my robust education. I was exposed to far more than a narrow money-making selection of classes. The influence of art, literature, and other liberal arts makes it easier for me to write coherently in a format significantly longer than 140 characters. Additionally, I am able to use colorful terms that illustrate my ideas, words that exceed two syllables in length, and even proper punctuation (most of the time).
Old 05-03-2020, 10:24 PM
Non-Actuary

College: Angelo State University

OP: I read the thread a bit but I am still confused.

Basically, you got in trouble for not forwarding a report that you didn't know you were suppose to get?

And now you're trying to figure out how to get info from your boss who has already told you the other information is not important?

I mean it seems like you just need to trust your boss and maybe document that he said you don't need any other reports. I might not be getting the entire picture here though.
Old 05-04-2020, 03:24 PM
SOA AAA

A few details are missing (although my response would be similar):
Is it that your boss is new to the role but you were already in the department
or
Is it that your boss was there already and you are new to the department role?

Either way (and especially in the second), it sounds like there was a report that was distributed by email but you were not on that distribution list. Subsequently, your boss asked whether you had forwarded this report to someone else (so boss assumed you were on the distribution).
The correct response to boss is "No, I never received that report...who should I contact to get on the distribution list for it?"
Now that it is too late for that reply, and given concern about other items...I would send an email something like "If you recall, we discovered I was not on the distribution list for XYZ Report. Are there any other reports/memos/etc you can think of that I need to be on the distribution lists for? Please let me know the contact person and the item(s) that I need and I will follow up to get on the various lists."
Old 05-04-2020, 03:37 PM
SOA AAA

College: Utah State University
Favorite beer: Yards IPA

Just to make sure I understand.

Somebody creates a report (lets call them creator) forwards it to your manager.
Your manager then forgot to forward it to you.
You were then supposed to forward it to someone else (end user) who now thinks it's your fault they didn't get the report.

You all work at the same company?

Neither you nor your manager have any responsibility for reviewing the content of the report?

Can't you just send an email to everyone involved stating that creator creates the report and from now on creator can just add end user to the distribution list?

Oh, and maybe get a new job
Old 05-04-2020, 06:08 PM
SOA

Report was important enough that although I didn’t receive it I could’ve guessed it was being created and asked for it. I had never forwarded on to the business in the past, however the person whose responsibility it was left. Part of this is also that the business expects my department to be involved in this report, however my manager doesn’t appear to expect me to be involved. So in the past it has been a little awkward asking for these reports. The difference in expectations is something that is a function of the turnover in my department currently and I have asked for more clarity on that.

My manager did receive that report.

My manager has not straight out told me that anything he does not send to me is not important, but I have asked for any information that he feels I should know, please forward. So far I haven’t really gotten anything. Because of this event, I have put a little more emphasis on just asking people in other departments for the reports that they might have that cover my area.
Old 05-04-2020, 06:11 PM
SOA

Also my boss is really new, I am less new but not very tenured, and I have now asked to be on the distribution list for this. So it’s more of just a question of what the right perspective on this is, plus what to do in the future.
Old 05-05-2020, 12:54 PM

What did you say to boss when he asked if you had forwarded it? That was the time to explicitly state, "I did not receive that report, nor have I ever been involved in distributing that report. If that is something you would like me to be doing, I can contact (creator) and asked to be added to the distribution list. " Also would be a great idea to set up a meeting saying you want to go over all the tasks you are responsible for, since new boss may have different priorities than your prior boss did.

But I agree with pp who asked whether you are actually *doing* something with the report, or merely taking a report someone else created and forwarding with no value add. If that is the case, whomever you are passing it along to should just be on the distribution list to begin with. It makes no sense for a report to be sent first to your boss who must send it to you only to send it on to someone else. What a complete and utter waste of time, unless either you or your boss and somehow analyzing/adding value before passing along...
Old 05-05-2020, 04:43 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gal Friday View Post
What did you say to boss when he asked if you had forwarded it? That was the time to explicitly state, "I did not receive that report, nor have I ever been involved in distributing that report. If that is something you would like me to be doing, I can contact (creator) and asked to be added to the distribution list. " Also would be a great idea to set up a meeting saying you want to go over all the tasks you are responsible for, since new boss may have different priorities than your prior boss did.

What a complete and utter waste of time, unless either you or your boss and somehow analyzing/adding value before passing along...
I'm awful at thinking on my feet like that to respond something like the above. All of these thoughts came after. It would also involve being slightly more confrontational, which is another thing I usually am terrible at. I was recently told I sometimes come off as defensive, too, so that kept me quiet as well.

I think the thought was that my boss (now me) would do some review and then pass it on.

Last edited by Sheffey; 05-05-2020 at 04:49 PM..
Old 05-06-2020, 01:48 AM
SOA

Take a beginners improv comedy class and you'll be able to think on your feet better and feel less awkward in all life situations.
Old 05-06-2020, 07:17 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climbing Bum View Post
Just to make sure I understand.

Somebody creates a report (lets call them creator) forwards it to your manager.
Your manager then forgot to forward it to you.
You were then supposed to forward it to someone else (end user) who now thinks it's your fault they didn't get the report.

You all work at the same company?

Neither you nor your manager have any responsibility for reviewing the content of the report?

Can't you just send an email to everyone involved stating that creator creates the report and from now on creator can just add end user to the distribution list?

Oh, and maybe get a new job
I'm feeling this about the story. Cc-ing is cheap. If this was a one-time thing then perhaps part of your value is figuring out who else is interested. But is this is a regular report, all those people should be cc'd directly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheffey View Post
I'm awful at thinking on my feet like that to respond something like the above. All of these thoughts came after. It would also involve being slightly more confrontational, which is another thing I usually am terrible at. I was recently told I sometimes come off as defensive, too, so that kept me quiet as well.

I think the thought was that my boss (now me) would do some review and then pass it on.
It's confrontational to say, "no, I didn't forward that report because I never got it "? What did you say?