Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Group and Health Track > Group & Health Core Exam
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Group & Health Core Exam Old Group & Health Design & Pricing Forum

Old 11-17-2016, 12:16 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for FSA
Default Textbooks?

I bought the MATE materials and skipped out on textbooks cause I wasn't planning on reading them but the outline mentions that it's good to have them on hand in case you want to go deeper into a subject even if you don't read the whole textbook. How viable is it to completely forego the textbooks?
Old 11-17-2016, 12:41 PM
SOA

If your company pays for it, I would definitely pick them up. There were questions very briefly mentioned in the study material that appeared on the exam. Although you are not likely to spend much time studying the textbook in depth anyway, if you do and the material you studied somehow appears on the test it could save you a try.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:55 PM
SOA

Was there ways you knew what material wasn't covered in the study material? How did you know that the study material only briefly mentioned stuff that actually appeared on the exam?
Old 01-11-2017, 03:21 PM

Only way to know is to have read both. Even in the MATE manual it recommends reading them one after the other and putting notes into your manual.

That being said I did 90+% of the reading for this exam, not sure I'd do it again on any future FSA exam attempts.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:54 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for GH Specialty

I read the textbooks. Not sure if its truly required, but reading the textbooks put some of the notecards into context. From that perspective, it was easier for me to memorize.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Theory View Post
If your company pays for it, I would definitely pick them up. There were questions very briefly mentioned in the study material that appeared on the exam. Although you are not likely to spend much time studying the textbook in depth anyway, if you do and the material you studied somehow appears on the test it could save you a try.
Agree with this 100%. Also, I found having the textbook as a reference very useful for parts of the study manual.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:13 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Ninja View Post
I bought the MATE materials and skipped out on textbooks cause I wasn't planning on reading them but the outline mentions that it's good to have them on hand in case you want to go deeper into a subject even if you don't read the whole textbook. How viable is it to completely forego the textbooks?
I found them to be useful for a deeper understanding of the MATE materials. I also have all of my textbooks available for sale if you're interested.
Old Yesterday, 06:57 PM
SOA

Studying for MLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by actsnuary87 View Post
I found them to be useful for a deeper understanding of the MATE materials. I also have all of my textbooks available for sale if you're interested.
Are there specific books that were the most helpful?
Old Yesterday, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemike View Post
Are there specific books that were the most helpful?
I would skip the individual and canadian books if you need to save some money. I felt like most of the info in the individual piece is covered in the group book and study notes.

Make sure to get the group insurance book though. Many of the readings come from there, and it's used in GHA as well.