Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Property - Casualty / General Insurance
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Fill in a brief DW Simpson Registration Form
to be contacted when new jobs meet your criteria.

View Poll Results: Will self driving autos kill car insurance?
Of course 42 16.60%
Maybe but not for a long time 182 71.94%
I'm a luddite... 29 11.46%
Voters: 253. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-28-2013, 09:55 AM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for ACAS
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Most German dark lagers

Quote:
Originally Posted by r. mutt View Post
Yes, let's be clear: the only "licensing" so far has been for test vehicles, and they're operating under strict liability (and in one state a $1M bond had to be purchased). Google has also not said what proportion of the 300K miles was actually done on highways vs the test track.

It's a long way off. Just think about this: in a dense traffic situation, all the cars in a certain locus will have to communicate not just their immediate positions, but possibly also their vectors and anticipated changes. I hope MIcrosoft isn't involved in the software.
Vectors are easily determined. I wonder how far down the road can a car "see" in congested traffic in order to anticipate "change".

Why should I worry about dying? It’s not going to happen in my lifetime!

Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES
Old 01-28-2013, 10:37 AM
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary

Studying for Nothing actuarial.

Quote:
I hope MIcrosoft isn't involved in the software.

Actually, I posted in another thread about how the computer on my car got confused about whether the gas cap was on correctly.
"Sorry, boss, I won't be at work today. My car refuses to back out of the garage. Its sensors indicate there is oncoming traffic."

I'll believe that cars will be allowed to drive themselves as soon as airlines start using remote piloted planes. (Or see another thread from meep about how all the airplane safety stuff can overwhelm the pilot leading to less than optimal response to problesm.)

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.

My latest favorite quotes, updated Apr 5, 2018.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
All purpose response for careers forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
Depends upon the employer and the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
I feel like ERM is 90% buzzwords, and that the underlying agenda is to make sure at least one of your Corporate Officers is not dumb.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:12 AM

Studying for rabies shots
Favorite beer: whatever imp is drinking

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...googlenews_wsj
Old 01-28-2013, 11:18 AM
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary

Studying for Nothing actuarial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret View Post
meh
WSJ requires a login, so I couldn't read the article. Just the headline.

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.

My latest favorite quotes, updated Apr 5, 2018.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
All purpose response for careers forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
Depends upon the employer and the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
I feel like ERM is 90% buzzwords, and that the underlying agenda is to make sure at least one of your Corporate Officers is not dumb.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorian Atreides View Post
Vectors are easily determined. I wonder how far down the road can a car "see" in congested traffic in order to anticipate "change".
For individual cars, sure. But in the closely-packed driving world envisioned in parts of this thread, individual cars determine their own vectors, but do they then communicate them to other cars as they react to unexpected changes? And then the other cars have to recalculate? That seems unworkable, but then otherwise you're left with just reacting to other cars, and that seems to make packing more difficult.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:43 AM
CAS AAA

Studying for naught.
Favorite beer: Butterbeer

Quote:
For individual cars, sure. But in the closely-packed driving world envisioned in parts of this thread, individual cars determine their own vectors, but do they then communicate them to other cars as they react to unexpected changes? And then the other cars have to recalculate? That seems unworkable, but then otherwise you're left with just reacting to other cars, and that seems to make packing more difficult.
If the cars are networked, you don't need an "uber computer" centrally controlling the traffic. Protocols could be established for how many nearby cars a vehicle interfaced with and the level of response various vehicles made to things sensed by another vehicle. Perhaps somewhat like the Aegis system, except focusing on targets to avoid rather than targets to hit.
“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
― J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 01-28-2013, 11:45 AM

I think it ends up being centralized - really no different than stop lights directing traffic now, except that stop light will be receiving requests and sending instructions to all the cars within a specified range. Slop light says "here are the open paths" and cars respond with request to take a certain path, which the stop light approves or denies.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:57 AM
Now 20% less conceivable!
CAS

This thread is over 150 posts so this was probably said but there is a HUGE liability potential to google and auto owners since all cars will presumably be handled by the same system. How will the liability for a hacker (or a coutry cyber terrorist unit) to cause millions of silmultaions collisions be handled? That's a real possibility that never existed before.

What about just making it so the system crashes for an extended perior of time? So virtually no transporation of any kind (comm or personal) in lets say US for a few weeks? You could cripple or collapse a country without firing a bulllet. There is a huge potential for mistakes or malicious acts to cause problems that never had to be contemplated before.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
I think it ends up being centralized - really no different than stop lights directing traffic now, except that stop light will be receiving requests and sending instructions to all the cars within a specified range. Slop light says "here are the open paths" and cars respond with request to take a certain path, which the stop light approves or denies.
Kind of like air traffic control, only much more complicated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inconceivable View Post
This thread is over 150 posts so this was probably said but there is a HUGE liability potential to google and auto owners since all cars will presumably be handled by the same system. How will the liability for a hacker (or a coutry cyber terrorist unit) to cause millions of silmultaions collisions be handled? That's a real possibility that never existed before.

What about just making it so the system crashes for an extended perior of time? So virtually no transporation of any kind (comm or personal) in lets say US for a few weeks? You could cripple or collapse a country without firing a bulllet. There is a huge potential for mistakes or malicious acts to cause problems that never had to be contemplated before.
We've been mostly ignoring low-hanging fruit like this in favor of rampaging deer. But it's a good point.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:24 PM
CAS AAA

Studying for naught.
Favorite beer: Butterbeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inconceivable View Post

I guess cars could still have manual overrides, like the emergency rope on my automatic garage door opener that lets me get in and out of my garage when there is a malfunction in the automated system. You would still need licensed drivers to clear the minors, blind, and other "automatically" driven vehicles from the roads, and these future licensed drivers would be less practiced, therefore, less skilled than today's licensed drivers.

You're right though, the implications are huge.
“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
― J.R.R. Tolkien