Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 05-21-2018, 12:20 PM
Non-Actuary

Default Macbook advice needed

This need is different from my other computer recommendation thread.

My daughter is headed off to DU next year in the School of Music and the computer requirements are:

Minimum: MacBook Pro or MacBook Air 13-inch with at least 500GB hard drive or 256GB PCI-e based flash storage.
Recommended: MacBook Pro 15-inch with at least 256GB PCI-e based flash storage.

Also this for those that don't buy a MAC: If you decide to buy a machine other than those recommended (a Windows machine for example) please make sure your laptop has a built-in microphone and video camera for recording lessons, rehearsals, etc. and for use in Music Technology class.

She will be a vocal performance major so she will be composing and recording music but she isn't there specifically for the studio side (i.e. her emphasis will be on actual performance rather than recording and production).

We want to get something that is going to last keeping in mind she is likely to go to grad school as well, but damn $$$$$$$. For "education" pricing Apple.com has prices ranging from $1,800-$2,600 for the 15" MacBook Pro and the 13" range from $1,250-$1,900. The 15" look like they have more RAM. They also all have an i7 vs i5 processor, but I don't know if that makes that much of a difference. (Right now, she thinks she would prefer the smaller screen).

Can anyone offer advice on the differences here?

I am also seeing a sale here that talks about "Late 2016" and Mid 2017" models, but the prices look pretty good. Any reason why this would be a bad choice?

Last edited by Kenny; 05-21-2018 at 01:11 PM..
Old 05-21-2018, 02:42 PM
CAS

consider a refurb direct from apple: https://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

if the school recommends a mac, get a mac

don't settle for the (current) minimum stated specs. will those mins hold steady through grad school? maybe not

buy once, cry once
Old 05-21-2018, 03:08 PM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Hefewizen

I'd steer away from MBAir. If she's going to be doing a lot of recording, the hard drive space limitations on the MBAirs may be very constraining.
Old 05-21-2018, 03:17 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post
I'd steer away from MBAir. If she's going to be doing a lot of recording, the hard drive space limitations on the MBAirs may be very constraining.
yeah, this. get a nice MBP
Old 05-21-2018, 03:21 PM
CAS

If the school recommends a mac then go with a mac but check out the apple refurb store as previously mentioned. Some great deals there and you can even buy applecare+ if you want.

If portability is at all important I'd suggest going with a smaller laptop (~13") and a "dock" setup at home base vs getting a large one and lugging it around everywhere.
Old 05-21-2018, 03:43 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
consider a refurb direct from apple: https://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

if the school recommends a mac, get a mac

don't settle for the (current) minimum stated specs. will those mins hold steady through grad school? maybe not

buy once, cry once
I plan on getting a Mac. No need for the headache associated with making sure you have the necessary software and compatibility.

But I am not seeing a significant benefit from the refurb.

Lower end 15" Pro
- new with "education" pricing from Apple.com $1,799
- 2015 Refurb $1,699
- Mid 2015 "New" $1,699
- 2015 "Open Box"$1,528

Higher end "base" model
- new $2,599
- refurb $2,359
- mid 2017 new $2,399

Basically, the sale prices seem to be better than the refurb prices for the moment.

Last edited by Kenny; 05-21-2018 at 03:49 PM..
Old 05-21-2018, 03:47 PM
SOA AAA

Delaware University?
Drake?
Delphi?
Duke?
Drexel?
Dartmouth?
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.
Old 05-21-2018, 03:50 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Delaware University?
Drake?
Delphi?
Duke?
Drexel?
Dartmouth?
Denver. Technically it is the University of Denver, but for some reason they refer to themselves as DU.

Old 05-21-2018, 03:59 PM
CAS

as before, buy once, cry once
Old 05-21-2018, 04:26 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
as before, buy once, cry once
I understood the meaning before (i.e. buy more than you think you need). But not sure I understand the purpose of repeating it after the additional exchange (assuming there is some additional point to saying it again).