Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson
Actuarial Jobs

Visit our site for the most up to date jobs for actuaries.

Actuarial Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Health, Life, Pension and Non-Tradtional Jobs.

Actuarial Meeting Schedule
Browse this year's meetings and which recruiters will attend.

Contact DW Simpson
Have a question?
Let's talk.
You'll be glad you did.

Old 10-23-2017, 03:14 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Frankly View Post
Took me forever to realize this. I spent about a thousand hours back when learning about cone materials and crossovers and enclosure alignments, and didn't think at all about how the speakers would interact in a room.

As I set out to learn about horns 7-8 years ago, one of the benefits that was often touted was controlled directivity. Don't treat the reflections, just don't have the reflections... or at least attenuate them a lot. And I sort of got it, but not really, until I got my new speakers and toed them in a lot, so that they crossed in front of the listening position. At that angle, very little sound will hit the walls to reflect, though I do have some floor and ceiling reflections.

But that was my eureka moment. The imaging is just rock solid, even if you move left/right a couple feet. I'd bought a Klipsch center channel, but I've since unhooked it and it's for sale. It's not necessary, and it can't match the sound quality of my mains, so it got yanked.
In my room, when I toe my speakers to cross just in front of the listening position, I get much more focused imaging ... but then the soundstage is so narrow as to not sound natural to me at all. Could be a limitation of my room, and the constraints I have on how far apart I can place my speakers.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:29 PM
SOA

I tried a different solution for my center speaker. I'm not excited about the JBL 520C center that is designed to go with my JBL 590 towers. It sounds too "boxy" to me.

So this weekend, I plugged in my relatively cheap Vizio soundbar as my center. I need a splitter, as the RCA inputs for that soundbar are L/R. But even just feeding R, the dialog sounded much more natural. I've got a splitter coming this week, so I should be able to use the full soundbar for my center channel. Yeah, it won't be as localized as a traditional center channel speaker. But I think I like that. My soundbar is a few inches more narrow than my TV, so it comes from the same general area as actors on the screen. Is it perfectly normalized? Nope, but as long as it's clearly coming from in front of me, I'm good.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:31 PM
SOA

Quote:
I ordered a 250w plate amp from Parts Express that has a subsonic filter, they'll go in our son's room. It's a small room, so with room gain I expect the pair to really rock.
In your son's room? Does he have his own audio setup? How the heck old is he?

I can't talk too much. My 20-year-old wanted half-decent headphones. I got him Audio-Technica 50's. Not obscenely expensive, but double what he wanted me to spend out of his Christmas budget. Same thing happened when he wanted a Bluetooth speaker, and I got him a JBL Charge.

But in retrospect, he seems pleased that I spent a little more on decent stuff, instead of him getting some cheap junk instead.

Last edited by Egghead; 10-23-2017 at 03:41 PM..
Old 10-23-2017, 11:35 PM
SOA

Got my splitter. So now I'm using my soundbar to play the center channel along its entire length. I really liked it. Far less boxy-sounding (I'm sure there's a better term) than the JBL center. And not overly localized.

I'm getting a weird echo effect at times, mainly when sound pans between a left or right front speaker and the center speaker. I suspect the soundbar is introducing some delay of its own. I've tried messing with the speaker distance on my receiver, but can't make the problem go away. I can minimize it, though, so that it's not often distracting.

I also messed around with putting my subwoofer in Max Output mode, which requires a flip of a switch, along with the removal of a "port plug." Drove my family crazy pretty quickly, so I won't get to do that all the time. But when I want to feel the sound from my movies, I can do that, now. Maybe not as powerfully as George Frankly with his monster subs, but enough to make me smile, certainly.

Last edited by Egghead; 10-23-2017 at 11:39 PM..
Old 10-24-2017, 12:56 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Sam Smith Oatmeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post
In my room, when I toe my speakers to cross just in front of the listening position, I get much more focused imaging ... but then the soundstage is so narrow as to not sound natural to me at all. Could be a limitation of my room, and the constraints I have on how far apart I can place my speakers.
Interesting. I'm not sure what, precisely, gives you a good/bad soundstage. Dipoles seem to sound very wide, so I would suspect reflections. And I wouldn't say my speakers have a terribly narrow soundstage, but they don't sound like Magnepans in that regard.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:58 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
In your son's room? Does he have his own audio setup? How the heck old is he?

I can't talk too much. My 20-year-old wanted half-decent headphones. I got him Audio-Technica 50's. Not obscenely expensive, but double what he wanted me to spend out of his Christmas budget. Same thing happened when he wanted a Bluetooth speaker, and I got him a JBL Charge.

But in retrospect, he seems pleased that I spent a little more on decent stuff, instead of him getting some cheap junk instead.
Mini-me just turned ten. He sees me fiddling with all this stuff and gets curious, and he does love music. We built a Parts Express speaker kit last Christmas, so he has nice mains. I gave him my old NAD integrated amp. And now a couple subs, it's going to be a very respectable setup, especially for a 10yo.

I have the AudioTechnica M50, those are just great headphones.
Old 10-24-2017, 01:00 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Got my splitter. So now I'm using my soundbar to play the center channel along its entire length. I really liked it. Far less boxy-sounding (I'm sure there's a better term) than the JBL center. And not overly localized.

I'm getting a weird echo effect at times, mainly when sound pans between a left or right front speaker and the center speaker. I suspect the soundbar is introducing some delay of its own. I've tried messing with the speaker distance on my receiver, but can't make the problem go away. I can minimize it, though, so that it's not often distracting.

I also messed around with putting my subwoofer in Max Output mode, which requires a flip of a switch, along with the removal of a "port plug." Drove my family crazy pretty quickly, so I won't get to do that all the time. But when I want to feel the sound from my movies, I can do that, now. Maybe not as powerfully as George Frankly with his monster subs, but enough to make me smile, certainly.
Do you have any flexibility in moving the sub? That could have a really big impact on the freq response at your seated location.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:26 PM
SOA

Quote:
Do you have any flexibility in moving the sub? That could have a really big impact on the freq response at your seated location.
Nope. WAF.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:07 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Nope. WAF.
Ah, what you’re gonna want to do is add some in-wall subs then.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:12 PM
SOA

I ordered my acoustic treatments tonight! My birthday isn't for a couple of weeks, so I might not get to play with them until then.

I will report back with results!