Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Life, Health & Pension

Health Actuary Jobs
Insurance & Consulting jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Actuarial Recruitment
Visit DW Simpson's website for more info.
www.dwsimpson.com/about

Casualty Jobs
Property & Casualty jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Old 01-05-2018, 04:30 PM
SOA

We cleaned up the Christmas decorations recently, so I was able to get my acoustic treatments back out. Really enjoying the sound quality again. I think it's nice in a way to have to go "backwards" in sound from time to time, so that I can appreciate all over again how good it is.

It's funny how a good system changes one's appreciation of music. There are some genres I hardly listened to at all before, but now I'll listen just because they sound so good! Plus, it sometimes changes the parts of songs that I like. Best example: I always thought the 30 second intro on "Sweet Emotion" was just a bunch of fairly interesting noise. Now it's my favorite part of the song!
Old 01-05-2018, 04:30 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Sam Smith Oatmeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post
Magnepan do have a very cool "airy" sound. I might have to pick up some one day. Don't have a good spot for them now.
Neither do I, lol. For acoustic/strings/vocals, Maggies are really hard to beat. Even at 10x the price. Something about that dipole sound, perhaps, or maybe the massive surface area, I don't understand the 'why.'

They aren't the best for rock & roll, or movies, and they are pretty dynamic but not the best. But for certain tracks, they are pretty magical.

They also suffer severely from room interactions, so I need to get on that.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:43 PM
SOA

I created a thread in NAT about being a bigger nerd than my wife. There I mentioned an awesome classical concert we went to. We had some of the absolute best seats in the house. I'm really glad we went for a number of reasons:

1) It was a fantastic performance
2) I figured out that my audio system is awfully close to the real thing.

The last few years, I've been dealing with constant ringing in one ear. And, unfortunately, it was particularly bad during the concert. Part of me was really miffed, because it marred an amazing listening experience. But then it hit me that this is yet another reason that I value having an audiophile listening setup: I can listen any time I want. When the ringing is particularly bad, I can choose to either wait until a better time for quiet listening, or I can blast the stereo to drown out the ringing.

Another benefit: I can tailor the sound to my tastes. I don't hear bass as well as I used to. During the concert, I kept thinking, "Why don't I hear the bass drum and tympani more? They sure look like they're playing them loud enough." But then I remembered: it's my hearing that's the problem.

After running room correction on my setup, I increased the bass in EQ and bumped my subwoofer a few decibels. Having that flexibility allows me to return the balance of sound quality to what I remember from my younger years, when my ears worked better. I have to do the same at the high end of the frequency response range. So I actually need a U-shaped equalizer curve to make the system sound "flat" to me.

My wife doesn't like how I tailor the sound. She'd prefer a far flatter frequency curve. But that's because her hearing is still quite good.

So now I'm sitting around listening, and appreciating my system even more.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:15 AM
Lead Guitarist
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Avery Mephistopheles

I finally, FINALLY, got around to ordering the insulation for building my absorbers. I was initially going to do rigid fiberglass, but that was going to be hella expensive (over $800 (including shipping + taxes) of insulation if I was going to do it all with Owens Corning) so I ended up going with two bags of Roxul Safe'n'Sound for $115 including tax.

That'll be coming in either Friday or Monday. From there, I'll need to buy some supplies, build frames, and get a bunch of fabric. I also need to paint my studio at some point before I get these mounted. Knowing how my projects usually go, this might start looking finished in a month or so.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:42 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by vividox View Post
I finally, FINALLY, got around to ordering the insulation for building my absorbers. I was initially going to do rigid fiberglass, but that was going to be hella expensive (over $800 (including shipping + taxes) of insulation if I was going to do it all with Owens Corning) so I ended up going with two bags of Roxul Safe'n'Sound for $115 including tax.

That'll be coming in either Friday or Monday. From there, I'll need to buy some supplies, build frames, and get a bunch of fabric. I also need to paint my studio at some point before I get these mounted. Knowing how my projects usually go, this might start looking finished in a month or so.
you're a fast worker!
Old 01-22-2018, 11:10 AM
Lead Guitarist
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
you're a fast worker!
Well that's the opposite of true. This stuff takes me forever. I feel like a lot of people I know can just go to the store, pick up some primer and paint and have a room done in a weekend. I have to wrap my head around it for a few weeks before I go to the store, then buy the stuff in an effort for me to actually get started on it, then plan out when I'm going to tear up my room for a few days, then need to take a break in the middle of it, draw painting out for a few weeks, then finally get everything moved back and ready to do the next thing. I'm constantly dragging my feet on stuff like this.

If money were no object, I'd just be hiring other people to do this in an afternoon.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:01 PM
CAS

Quote:
Well that's the opposite of true. This stuff takes me forever. I feel like a lot of people I know can just go to the store, pick up some primer and paint and have a room done in a weekend. I have to wrap my head around it for a few weeks before I go to the store, then buy the stuff in an effort for me to actually get started on it, then plan out when I'm going to tear up my room for a few days, then need to take a break in the middle of it, draw painting out for a few weeks, then finally get everything moved back and ready to do the next thing. I'm constantly dragging my feet on stuff like this.

If money were no object, I'd just be hiring other people to do this in an afternoon.
so much actuary
Old 01-22-2018, 12:03 PM
Lead Guitarist
Non-Actuary

Truth.
Old 01-22-2018, 01:38 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post
I created a thread in NAT about being a bigger nerd than my wife. There I mentioned an awesome classical concert we went to. We had some of the absolute best seats in the house. I'm really glad we went for a number of reasons:

1) It was a fantastic performance
2) I figured out that my audio system is awfully close to the real thing.

The last few years, I've been dealing with constant ringing in one ear. And, unfortunately, it was particularly bad during the concert. Part of me was really miffed, because it marred an amazing listening experience. But then it hit me that this is yet another reason that I value having an audiophile listening setup: I can listen any time I want. When the ringing is particularly bad, I can choose to either wait until a better time for quiet listening, or I can blast the stereo to drown out the ringing.

Another benefit: I can tailor the sound to my tastes. I don't hear bass as well as I used to. During the concert, I kept thinking, "Why don't I hear the bass drum and tympani more? They sure look like they're playing them loud enough." But then I remembered: it's my hearing that's the problem.

After running room correction on my setup, I increased the bass in EQ and bumped my subwoofer a few decibels. Having that flexibility allows me to return the balance of sound quality to what I remember from my younger years, when my ears worked better. I have to do the same at the high end of the frequency response range. So I actually need a U-shaped equalizer curve to make the system sound "flat" to me.

My wife doesn't like how I tailor the sound. She'd prefer a far flatter frequency curve. But that's because her hearing is still quite good.

So now I'm sitting around listening, and appreciating my system even more.
Yes, hearing degrades over time, particularly in the high frequencies. I've always had some hearing issues both in the very low and very high freqs, going all the way back to when I took those hearing tests in elementary school. I actually prefer something a little bit soft up top, my brain finds it less fatiguing to listen to. But, like you, I do prefer my bass a little fat, even up to about 200Hz I don't hear terribly well.

And that's the beauty of modern receivers, with Audyssey (sp?) and parametric EQ and what-not all built in. I can alter the freq response just like I like it.
Old 01-22-2018, 01:41 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:

Same here.I bought some Magnepans last week, they need some TLC to be 100% again - re-gluing the wires, replacing one capacitor in the crossover, something like 5-6 hours worth of work. This weekend I managed to buy the glue I need. Next weekend I'll disassemble them and maybe clean off the old glue. In another week or two I'll re-glue them, then do the capacitors, and by about mid-March they'll be operational.