Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when our jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 11-28-2017, 12:44 PM
CAS

Favorite beer: Stone 11th Anniversary Ale

Just a heads up for everybody who is concerned about storage, USB-OTG (stands for On The Go) allows you to connect a thumb drive {or hell, a full sized portable hard drive) to your phone. You could basically connect a 4TB HDD to your phone if you wanted. The downside is that you only get access to that storage when the drive is connected, but if you need certain music for the car ride, you could just leave it in your console.
Old 11-28-2017, 01:52 PM
CAS

Yeah, that would work. But like having an extra dongle vs. having a built in phone jack, at the moment it's more convenient for me to store that inside the phone, and not have a separate thing to juggle.
Old 11-28-2017, 02:02 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahow View Post
Just a heads up for everybody who is concerned about storage, USB-OTG (stands for On The Go) allows you to connect a thumb drive {or hell, a full sized portable hard drive) to your phone. You could basically connect a 4TB HDD to your phone if you wanted. The downside is that you only get access to that storage when the drive is connected, but if you need certain music for the car ride, you could just leave it in your console.
Yeah, I've been looking for one that can go from USB-A to USB-C pretty easily.

Similar to this: https://smile.amazon.com/SanDisk-And...+drive+usb+otg

Which slides from Micro to A with a flick. Not sure if the C versions have hit the market yet.
I was going to fire Comey knowing, there was no good time to do it. And in fact when I decided to just do it, I said to myself, I said you know, this Russia thing with Trump and Russia is a made up story
Old 11-28-2017, 03:37 PM
CAS SOA Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Early and Often

OMG this doohickey to connect the phones and transfer all the data is not working correctly. Every 8 seconds it tells me to reconnect the wire and i have to unlock the screen on the old phone. I would just be like screw it i'll deal with it later but it already made me transfer the service to the new phone.
I think the dollar will crash irreparably by 2012.... bottom drops out of the dollar. ....Dollars are worthless, 401ks are bust, the markets are valueless...government assumes control over all industry and everything is nationalized by the end of 2012. - gomer_tree
Old 11-28-2017, 04:44 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Funk View Post
For people that are hesitant to get a phone they otherwise like because of finger prints or slippery surfaces, check out Dbrand skins. They don't give your phone any protection other than from scratches, but they do give it a different texture/look. They look great and are a relatively cheap solution for those problems. I use the carbon fiber skin on my S8.
I'm looking at Skinomi, because I've bought stuff from them before. Do you know if they are similar?
Old 11-28-2017, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppermintPatty View Post
I'm looking at Skinomi, because I've bought stuff from them before. Do you know if they are similar?
I don't think Dbrand has screen protectors, but the backs look similar. At first glance, it looks like Dbrand might have a wider color/texture selection. And Dbrand doesn't have a name that I'd hesitate to google at work.
Old 11-28-2017, 05:19 PM
CAS

Old 11-28-2017, 11:07 PM
SOA

Studying for gonzo?
Favorite beer: gonzo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Actuary View Post
I ditched the U.S. and moved back to Canada so I suspect that the deal may not be available here.

I have a friend who I think has a OnePlus and she's been raving about it. I'm also thinking about the LG V30(?). Anyone have any experience with them?

The camera's apparently pretty average, but I use a dslr for the vast majority of my pictures...
i recently picked up the lg v30. my first experience with android so can't say much except it's ok so far
Old 11-28-2017, 11:08 PM
SOA

Studying for gonzo?
Favorite beer: gonzo!

recently switched over from iphone to android, and then i learned that androids are less secure and easier to hack. does this worry you android users?
Old 11-28-2017, 11:15 PM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Civil Society Fresh IPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
recently switched over from iphone to android, and then i learned that androids are less secure and easier to hack. does this worry you android users?
All your data is hacked already (and was before). All of it.