Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 01-29-2018, 09:15 AM
Non-Actuary

College: UMass Amherst
Favorite beer: Coors Light
Lightbulb ACTEX Presents: "Data Visualization Design Concepts in R" Feb. 22 @ 1:00 PM Eastern

ACTEX Learning Presents:

Data Visualization Design Concepts in R

February 22, 2018 from 1:00 to 2:30 PM Eastern Time

Co-Sponsored by the Canadian Institute of Actuaries

1.8 SOA/EA CPD, CAS CE Credits/Training Hours
This is a potential source of 1.5 hours of CPD for the Canadian Institute of Actuaries

Enroll Today: Click Here

We all create plots of our data. Bar charts, pie charts, scatter plots – we've created thousands. Managers, underwriters, co-workers and the public expect them and we have been generating them for about as long as we've been actuaries. But how much thought have we given to them?

Expression of data through visual means empowers our audience to take in large volumes of information quickly. Moreover, it facilitates an understanding of complex mathematical models for people who may not be accustomed to them. This, however, comes with great responsibility. A poorly designed visualization muddles your message, and in extreme cases, decision makers can reach a conclusion which simply isn't supported by the data.

Not all pictures are worth 1,000 words. Some can be worth a lot more. Others…

Learning Objectives:
  • Some of the fundamental principles that inform human visual perception
  • Simple guidelines to lead you through the steps for creating visualizations
  • How to create exhibits which represent data accurately and honestly
  • Avoid common mistakes that clutter or obscure your message
  • Who Should Attend This Webinar?
  • This webinar is intended for practicing actuaries and data scientists at all levels. Although examples will be given in R, the principles are generally applicable. Code examples will be provided to registered attendees.

Here’s What Participants Said about Brian’s Last Webinar:

“…I thought this presentation was PERFECT for someone like me … I think Brian explained the intention of the ggplot2 package in the way that Hadley Wickham would want it explained and it is an explanation that I had been missing prior to the presentation. A lot of lightbulbs went off in my head during this presentation. … This was an impactful presentation that will actually improve the efficiency and quality of my work (and I can't say that about too many presentations...).”

“As an entry-level candidate, I found that this seminar can be a huge benefit in my career search with respect to my ePortfolio. Having case studies or other data analyses with the plots I've learned today should make for some serious second looks into the artifacts themselves.”

“It was fantastic, I use R nowadays a lot, but wasn't aware of having such a good package for plotting. The presentation itself was also very good, tempo perfect, I hope I can listen to you once again.”

“Appreciated the step-by-step walk through from data to client-ready visualization.”

Instructor Brian A. Fannin, ACAS

Please take a moment to read Brian's story in the ACTEX Blog: "My Journey with R"

Brian is the founder and captain of PirateGrunt LLC, an actuarial, data and predictive modelling consultancy. Brian has held a number of positions at both primary and excess insurance companies, both in the US and overseas. He is the chair of the CAS open source software committee, with a focus on R. His principle areas of research are in stochastic reserving, predictive modelling and visualization of data. He is the author of the MRMR, raw, rerprestools and Imaginator R packages.

Enroll Today: Click Here

Click to view our Actuarial eLearning Offerings:
Webinars | Exam Prep | VEE Courses