Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Finance - Investments
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Finance - Investments Sub-forum: Non-Actuarial Personal Finance/Investing

Old 06-05-2019, 08:06 AM
Non-Actuary

Studying for FM/2
College: University of North Florida Junior
Default What value does a QFI FSA add that a Quant doesn't?

I'm a university student interested in becoming an actuary, and the QFI track stood out to me as something that might align with my interests the closest out of the FSA tracks. I did some googling and browsing on AO, but I couldn't find where a firm would want a QFI FSA over a quant. Becoming a quant is something that I can't do which is why I'm interested in the QFI track and wanted to know where I could add value that a quant couldn't if I achieve FSA in the QFI track.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 06-07-2019, 08:04 AM
SOA

Studying for GHC

I'm no expert here but thought I would give it a shot given the lack of other responses. An insurance company would potentially want a QFI FSA instead of a quant, but only in certain job positions. Ultimately if your interest is investment banking, you need to get at least a master's, and a phd for many positions. The demand for QFI FSA's is very small and only in the insurance industry. Outside of insurance, an FSA means very little and will not land you a job as a quant.
Old 06-07-2019, 08:17 AM
Non-Actuary

Studying for FM/2
College: University of North Florida Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodfella7763 View Post
I'm no expert here but thought I would give it a shot given the lack of other responses. An insurance company would potentially want a QFI FSA instead of a quant, but only in certain job positions. Ultimately if your interest is investment banking, you need to get at least a master's, and a phd for many positions. The demand for QFI FSA's is very small and only in the insurance industry. Outside of insurance, an FSA means very little and will not land you a job as a quant.
Thank you for offering your opinion. Your perspective is still better than mine anyways so from my point of view you're enough of an expert.

So a QFI FSA wouldn't be as valuable for a wealth management group as a pure quant would? If that's the case, there are still other areas of actuarial science I'm interested so not much skin off my back there.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk