Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Probability
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Fill in a brief DW Simpson Registration Form
to be contacted when new jobs meet your criteria.

Probability Old Exam P Forum

Old 11-15-2018, 12:19 AM
SOA

College: Graduate School
Default General Question Exam P

I am struggling with the times soa exam p module the soa offers.... I cannot seem to score above a 14 on any one practice test and they are tricky in my opinion. Any thoughts of advice? Should I just keep drilling the problems until I become more comfortable I;ve been studying on and off for around 2 months. I have a lot of experience with probability classes in general.. However, on practice tests I struggle for some reason....
Old 11-15-2018, 08:45 AM
SOA

It’s totally normal what you’re experiencing. I’d spend more time analyzing each solution afterwards until you feel really comfortable with the steps taken to solve the problem and why the solution shown is appropriate. Look for the language in the problem that corresponds with the choice of their approach and more importantly try to read between the lines and figure out which assumptions had to be there which may have not been stated in the problem or solution (e.g. independence). It’s more important that you know what to do on test day than get them right now so just accumulate full understanding of each problem you miss now no matter how long it takes. There’s no shame in spending 20 min on understanding one problem thoroughly.

I have a free practice exam as well on my course page with video solutions that might be helpful to you: www.probabilityexam.com you can download the pdf of the exam at the top and all the video solutions are at the bottom.

Even people who teach probability theory at universities would likely struggle with passing the exam without any practice. Keep at it.
Old 11-16-2018, 03:55 AM
SOA

College: Graduate School

Thank you Michael!