Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Fellowship Modules
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 11-08-2001, 09:20 AM

OK, this may be a dumb question.
Are published references there to help us grasp the concepts and for additional reading? The SoA doesn't view them as required reading, do they?
I noticed that some of the publ refs were removed from the C6 readings. Also, some of the SNs were removed. The only other change I see is the new edition of the Investments book. Since we have to read all of the same chapters, I'm led to believe that the changes are minor. Does anyone know what the changes are in the Investment book?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kooky cookie on 2001-11-08 08:21 ]</font>
Old 11-08-2001, 09:37 AM

KC -

I can't speak for C6 since I took it before, but without even looking at the exam, I can tell you that there were at least 4 questions or sub-questions on the 8I exam that were completely from the published references (ASPs, etc.).

My recommendation - treat them as study notes.
Old 11-08-2001, 10:14 AM

Published references are official syllabus material, unless it says background. All "published reference" does is place it in a category of things like actuarial standards of practice or articles from professional journals, as opposed to books or study notes published specifically for SOA exams.
Old 11-08-2001, 12:36 PM

We're on this in another thread.

Published references are fair game. These new ones appear to replace some very old ones. Not that much has changed in 12 years, but I think the SOA feels better about having its own published references instead of non-actuarial types' writings.