Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Fellowship Modules
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe

Old 11-09-2001, 03:34 PM

I'm taking Course 6 for the 2nd time. Actually I've been taking 220 & 230 off & on for more years than I care to admint. I skipped Course 6 in Spring 2000 (studied, but didn't feel ready for it), and got a 5 on it last spring.

At this point I feel pretty comfortable that I understand the material; I just need to do a better job of memorization.

I'm planning to use the JAM manual and just start with the condensed outline, trying to memorize x pages per week, with one day/week set aside for working problems and one day/week set aside for review of previous weeks' memorization. Obviously if there is something I don't remember reading I will go back and look it up. I'll probably spend a small amount of time on the new investments text and new published references.

Any other suggestions for me? Anyone else out there who is memorization-impaired? I would use mnemonics (sp?) but I always forget which mnemonic went with which list.
Old 11-09-2001, 04:57 PM
Anonymous

Repetition is key. What worked best for me is to put the lists on the condensed outline on notecards. As soon as I have a card memorized it goes to a "memorized" stack. I will go over the "memorized" stack about every second or third day. If I can't remember the card, it goes back to the not memorized stack. This is time consuming, but has proved pretty effective for me over the last year. Good luck!
Old 11-09-2001, 05:00 PM

JB - Repitition, course. Also, try even working the lists backwards (ie look at the items and identify the title of the list). Also, don't spend too much time going over the lists you already know. When people review the outline for the 3rd time, it's typical to start with page 1. Try starting with section C or something. I know there are a lot of lists, but now that you have the understanding down, it's all about memorizaiton (unfortunately).

PS - When I wrote course 6, I know there was one list where I was unsure of the items. i couldn't quite remember if certain items went with that particular list or a different one. So, I wrote EVERYTHING. As long as items don't conflict, they won't take off points. Good Luck!
Old 11-09-2001, 05:19 PM
urysohn

I never liked mnemonics either. What I _did_ like was flashcards. Take that awesome condensed JAM outline and copy it word for word onto notecards. You're not trying to condense it any more than it already is, just break it into bite-size pieces. Do this very early. I took 220 once (failed) and 230 twice (passed the second one) before transition hit. I wouldn't recommend this strategy for anyone who hadn't been through the material at least once before, but for Course 6 (passed Spring 2000) I didn't use anything except those notecards and the full condensed outline. I wrote out the cards around January. I memorized the cards as best I could. I used the full condensed outline so that I could keep things in context and know which cards should be grouped together in my head [don't forget to number the cards so you can flip through them and get them back in order later!!] And I used the full non-condensed outline so I could get a better explanation of the areas I didn't understand. You might need to hit the actual reading list to get a bit more of an explanation, but I strongly recommend not going back to the reading to get more detail. Clarification yes, detail no. Most of the points are in the high level topics and not the detail anyway.
It's not a strategy that would work for everybody, but it did help me pass.
Old 11-09-2001, 05:21 PM
urysohn

chica makes a good point. Lots of points get deducted if you miss items in a list. I think far fewer points get deducted for having all kinds of extras in the list. When in doubt, write out two lists. (and avoid adding stuff like "I know one of these is wrong, but...")