Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Fellowship Modules
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson Global Actuarial & Analytics Recruitment
Download our 2017 Actuarial Salary Survey
now with state-by-state salary information!

Old 11-19-2001, 07:24 AM

I have the jam 2000 edition but I would like to buy the new jam if it has significant changes.Also what are your views about jam flash cards, hype and actex. what will be your choice.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: secada on 2001-11-19 06:25 ]</font>
Old 11-21-2001, 02:43 PM

And one more question for Jammies. If you register for the seminar, do you get study guides as well, or you have to buy those separately?
I attended 2 NEAS seminars, and the notes are included in the price of the seminar, wonder if it's the same with Jam?
Old 11-21-2001, 02:45 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Parabola

When I did it you didn't get the study guides, but you got a manual at the seminar which was indistinguishable from his detailed outline, and you also got several problems.
Old 11-22-2001, 06:02 PM

I would recommend ordering the HYPE flashcards, they are better than the JAM flashcards. I have not seen or heard anything about the ACTEX cards, but if they are anything like the ACTEX I would not waste my money. I've read a few posts that you should make your own flashcards. I think the best way to study is to take your own notes and make flashcards, but this is very time consuming. And even if you did this, I think there is a benefit from using other study aids just to make sure you understand the material asked in several ways, and the study aids may have material you missed or thought you know. Good luck!!!
Old 11-23-2001, 03:06 PM

I think Mike could sell you guys his used underwear. Come on, flashcards? CD-rom? His manual is good, but your going a bit too far when your willing to dish out $400 US for all the other stuff. I found the best way to study is to keep on going over the material in whole rather than memorizing any specific lists. Soon or later you'll become very familar with the material that you understand how everything ties in rather than just knowing a huge number of lists. I found this method of studying very helpful for Part 5. I guess we'll know from whether or not I passed.
Old 11-23-2001, 03:28 PM

Hi All,

I have Mike's lucky underwear for sale. These are the very same underwear he wore when he wrote 210 and 220. I'm auctioning them off on ebay, just do a search for boxers. Bidding starts at $300.
Old 11-25-2001, 05:07 PM
SOA

Really boxers? That must be the secret!