Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Finance - Investments > Non-Actuarial Personal Finance/Investing
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions


Fill in a brief DW Simpson Registration Form
to be contacted when new jobs meet your criteria.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #111  
Old 02-12-2019, 01:26 PM
redprinceton's Avatar
redprinceton redprinceton is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 19,445
Default

I tend to be more on the mathmajor side of the TV spectrum. I'm gonna want one that checks a number of boxes including low input latency, good HDR implementation, and size (probably 65 inches).

Panther's point is well taken though. $1000 on a TV doesn't exactly blow up my surplus anyway.

One idea I have it to give up a little more control over my traveling. I like plan and economize every detail so that I'm doing the most amount of cool stuff for the least money. That takes time and effort though. Maybe travel packages could be a good idea.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Polymath View Post
Armchair internet economists are the worst.
President Trump is a white supremacist.

Spoiler:
We've been over this many times, but since some people like to pretend we haven't, I'm using my sig as a place to list the fairly obvious examples of treating whites as superior to others.

Now, when lazy and disingenuous people try to claim ignorance, I'm 100% entitled to dismissing them as lazy or disingenuous. Hope it helps!

The short list
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 02-12-2019, 01:42 PM
panther panther is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,411
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redprinceton View Post
Maybe travel packages could be a good idea.
travel packages can be shockingly affordable. I've been pleasantly surprised shopping around for them recently
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 02-12-2019, 05:27 PM
redprinceton's Avatar
redprinceton redprinceton is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 19,445
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
travel packages can be shockingly affordable. I've been pleasantly surprised shopping around for them recently
This, at the same time, makes me happy and sad. Happy for the potential affordability. Sad, that it may not help solve my spendy "problem".
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Polymath View Post
Armchair internet economists are the worst.
President Trump is a white supremacist.

Spoiler:
We've been over this many times, but since some people like to pretend we haven't, I'm using my sig as a place to list the fairly obvious examples of treating whites as superior to others.

Now, when lazy and disingenuous people try to claim ignorance, I'm 100% entitled to dismissing them as lazy or disingenuous. Hope it helps!

The short list
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 02-12-2019, 05:33 PM
George Frankly's Avatar
George Frankly George Frankly is offline
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CO
Favorite beer: Sam Smith Oatmeal
Posts: 10,443
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redprinceton View Post
This, at the same time, makes me happy and sad. Happy for the potential affordability. Sad, that it may not help solve my spendy "problem".
Travel to some place with a high concentration of pick-pockets?
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 02-12-2019, 05:38 PM
LifeIsAPoissonProcess's Avatar
LifeIsAPoissonProcess LifeIsAPoissonProcess is offline
Member
CAS SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Studying for 7
Favorite beer: Bourbon County
Posts: 6,618
Default

I always travel to places with casinos and count cards to pay for my trip.
__________________
Quote:
And you should be the best Actuary not the worst Actuary. - Latitude 30
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 02-12-2019, 05:40 PM
mathmajor's Avatar
mathmajor mathmajor is offline
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Nowhere in particular
Studying for Japanese
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: La Croix Grapefruit
Posts: 10,005
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redprinceton View Post
I tend to be more on the mathmajor side of the TV spectrum. I'm gonna want one that checks a number of boxes including low input latency, good HDR implementation, and size (probably 65 inches).

Panther's point is well taken though. $1000 on a TV doesn't exactly blow up my surplus anyway.

One idea I have it to give up a little more control over my traveling. I like plan and economize every detail so that I'm doing the most amount of cool stuff for the least money. That takes time and effort though. Maybe travel packages could be a good idea.
Yeah, I spent $1k on one that is pretty close to high end without the high end price. A sony bravia, very good image processor. Well worth it imo.
__________________
3.14159 26535 89793 23846 26433 83279 50288 41971 69399 37510 58209 74944 59230 78164 06286 20899 86280 34825 34211 70679 82148 08651 32823 06647 09384 46095 50582 23172 53594 08128 48111 74502 84102 70193 85211 05559 64462 29489 54930 38196 44288 10975 66593 34461 28475 64823 37867 83165 27120 19091 45648 56692 34603 48610 45432 66482 13393 60726 02491 41273 72458 70066 06315 58817 48815 20920 96282 92540
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old 02-12-2019, 06:24 PM
redprinceton's Avatar
redprinceton redprinceton is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 19,445
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Frankly View Post
Travel to some place with a high concentration of pick-pockets?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Polymath View Post
Armchair internet economists are the worst.
President Trump is a white supremacist.

Spoiler:
We've been over this many times, but since some people like to pretend we haven't, I'm using my sig as a place to list the fairly obvious examples of treating whites as superior to others.

Now, when lazy and disingenuous people try to claim ignorance, I'm 100% entitled to dismissing them as lazy or disingenuous. Hope it helps!

The short list
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old 02-12-2019, 06:38 PM
George Frankly's Avatar
George Frankly George Frankly is offline
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CO
Favorite beer: Sam Smith Oatmeal
Posts: 10,443
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmajor View Post
Yeah, I spent $1k on one that is pretty close to high end without the high end price. A sony bravia, very good image processor. Well worth it imo.
Sony and Samsung are solid. We got the top Vizio... the M class? Whatever the nicest one is, it was under a grand for a 60" last year, I think it's worth putting it on the list to consider. It's not perfect, the blacks are purple-ish despite fiddling with the settings for a good while, and there is a bit of ghosting, but overall I think it was a really good value.
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old 02-13-2019, 11:15 AM
mathmajor's Avatar
mathmajor mathmajor is offline
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Nowhere in particular
Studying for Japanese
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: La Croix Grapefruit
Posts: 10,005
Default

My last one was a vizio. I thought M series was middle tier... E is the lowest. I still have an E for my bedroom (it was hecka cheap even 5 years ago). Still, I got the M because it was by far the best at that price point.

The Sony is cool - it's got AndroidTV built in and works with my smart environment. Also, it boots up automatically when I turn my PS4 on.
__________________
3.14159 26535 89793 23846 26433 83279 50288 41971 69399 37510 58209 74944 59230 78164 06286 20899 86280 34825 34211 70679 82148 08651 32823 06647 09384 46095 50582 23172 53594 08128 48111 74502 84102 70193 85211 05559 64462 29489 54930 38196 44288 10975 66593 34461 28475 64823 37867 83165 27120 19091 45648 56692 34603 48610 45432 66482 13393 60726 02491 41273 72458 70066 06315 58817 48815 20920 96282 92540
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.14887 seconds with 9 queries