Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Website Ideas - Comments > Make a Suggestion or Report a Problem Here
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions


View Poll Results: Which of these describes your ideal moderation
All posts intolerant of gay and lesbian persons should be moderated. 4 16.67%
Posts arguing for restrictions based on sexual orientation or expression should be moderated – common restrictions such as restroom access. 1 4.17%
Posts arguing for restrictions based on sexual orientation or expression should be moderated – no-longer-common restrictions such as access to medical transition. 2 8.33%
Posts drawing hurtful conclusions about the conditions of homosexuality or transgender should be moderated when contrary to facts/science/medical opinion (e.g. homosexuality is a disorder). 6 25.00%
Posts saying hurtful things about the conditions of homosexuality or transgender which are not subject to factual analysis should be moderated (e.g., it’s sinful). 1 4.17%
All posts drawing hurtful conclusions about the conditions of homosexuality or transgender should be moderated. 4 16.67%
It’s okay to criticize behavior but moderate criticism of identity. 5 20.83%
It should be okay to say something your religious sect preaches. 7 29.17%
Incivility should always be strictly moderated. 5 20.83%
Incivility should be moderated unless a poster’s identity is attacked. 2 8.33%
Incivility should be moderated unless a poster’s friends are attacked. 1 4.17%
Incivility should be moderated unless a poster’s ideas are being attacked. 1 4.17%
Incivility should be moderated unless the poster is responding to some provocation. 3 12.50%
Posters should have thick skins – let people say what they want, and others can counter as they want. 13 54.17%
Moderators should give more leeway to posters they believe to be posting in good faith. 10 41.67%
Moderators should be quicker to ban trolls from these discussions. 7 29.17%
Moderators should be quicker to ban trolls from political. 11 45.83%
Moderators should be quicker to ban trolls from the forum. 10 41.67%
Something else I will describe below. 3 12.50%
42 ways to view these issues. 5 20.83%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #161  
Old 02-13-2019, 07:08 PM
Polevault1's Avatar
Polevault1 Polevault1 is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 3,536
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by This is my Alt View Post
If you read some comments on an Internet forum and it “gets a rise out of you” it sounds like a personal problem. Maybe at that point it makes sense to step away from the computer.

I don’t know how anyone can have self-respect when they need to actively campaign for mods to remove posters.

I’ve already written about the convenience of labelling posts / posters as “Trolls” as a method of removing them. The definition always changes to fit the situation.
The mods’ comments on this Internet forum have gotten quite the rise out of you imo.
Reply With Quote
  #162  
Old 02-13-2019, 07:15 PM
This is my Alt's Avatar
This is my Alt This is my Alt is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,741
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polevault1 View Post
The mods’ comments on this Internet forum have gotten quite the rise out of you imo.
I’ve barely posted here over the last 6 months - no idea what you are talking about
__________________
I believe they call this - "getting served"

Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by This is my Alt View Post


Of course Sotomayor voted against it. It's the only reason she got into the Ivy League
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loner View Post
And you know this because?

Jackassery like yours is exhibit A in why it's needed. You assume because she's Latina that's the only reason she made it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTimes
For all her reticence in discussing her legal views, Sotomayor is frank about how much she benefited from affirmative action.
Reply With Quote
  #163  
Old 02-13-2019, 07:18 PM
Agadefe's Avatar
Agadefe Agadefe is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Philly
Posts: 27,555
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by This is my Alt View Post
If you read some comments on an Internet forum and it “gets a rise out of you” it sounds like a personal problem. Maybe at that point it makes sense to step away from the computer.

I don’t know how anyone can have self-respect when they need to actively campaign for mods to remove posters.

I’ve already written about the convenience of labelling posts / posters as “Trolls” as a method of removing them. The definition always changes to fit the situation.
No one gets a rise out of anything you say. Every thinking pperson can clearly see it for the transparent dishonesty that it is.

I mean, I guess I am "rised up" when someone continuously and egregiously engages in really stupid, dishonest behavior. But it's certainly not the content of your posts that gets a rise out of anyone.

Like, I find it annoying if every time I walked into a store, someone took a shit on the floor. But that someone shitting on the floor isn't making some sort of societal statement that angers me because of it's cutting message. He's simply shitting on the floor in places where I'd prefer to have shit-free experience.
__________________
Hi.
Reply With Quote
  #164  
Old 02-13-2019, 07:18 PM
Mother of DragQueens's Avatar
Mother of DragQueens Mother of DragQueens is offline
Khaleesi of the Great Grass Skirt
CAS
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Westeros
Favorite beer: Dornish red wine
Posts: 5,701
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by This is my Alt View Post
I’ve barely posted here over the last 6 months - no idea what you are talking about
Okay, that's cute. If you were funnier like this more often, you might come off more likeable. jmo
__________________
"Most so-called 'neurosis' is best analyzed as somebody
programmed to play football wandering around in a baseball
field. If he thinks football is the only game in the universe,
the other players will seem perverse or crazy to him; if they
think baseball is the only game, he'll seem crazy to them."
Reply With Quote
  #165  
Old 02-13-2019, 07:33 PM
This is my Alt's Avatar
This is my Alt This is my Alt is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,741
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agadefe View Post
No one gets a rise out of anything you say. Every thinking pperson can clearly see it for the transparent dishonesty that it is.

I mean, I guess I am "rised up" when someone continuously and egregiously engages in really stupid, dishonest behavior. But it's certainly not the content of your posts that gets a rise out of anyone.

Like, I find it annoying if every time I walked into a store, someone took a shit on the floor. But that someone shitting on the floor isn't making some sort of societal statement that angers me because of it's cutting message. He's simply shitting on the floor in places where I'd prefer to have shit-free experience.
Mods - please add “any posts Agadefe doesn’t like” to the list of reasons to ban people
__________________
I believe they call this - "getting served"

Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by This is my Alt View Post


Of course Sotomayor voted against it. It's the only reason she got into the Ivy League
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loner View Post
And you know this because?

Jackassery like yours is exhibit A in why it's needed. You assume because she's Latina that's the only reason she made it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTimes
For all her reticence in discussing her legal views, Sotomayor is frank about how much she benefited from affirmative action.
Reply With Quote
  #166  
Old 02-13-2019, 07:40 PM
The Cuddling Wingman's Avatar
The Cuddling Wingman The Cuddling Wingman is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 15,736
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agadefe View Post
Like, I find it annoying if every time I walked into a store, someone took a shit on the floor. But that someone shitting on the floor isn't making some sort of societal statement that angers me because of it's cutting message. He's simply shitting on the floor in places where I'd prefer to have shit-free experience.
Sigline
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormLetter View Post
Hugs to all...even those on my Immediate Kill list.
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agadefe View Post
Like, I find it annoying if every time I walked into a store, someone took a shit on the floor. But that someone shitting on the floor isn't making some sort of societal statement that angers me because of it's cutting message. He's simply shitting on the floor in places where I'd prefer to have shit-free experience.
Reply With Quote
  #167  
Old 02-13-2019, 07:48 PM
Whiskey's Avatar
Whiskey Whiskey is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Studying for nothing at all
Posts: 39,032
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mother of DragQueens View Post
[emoji38] Okay, that's cute. If you were funnier like this more often, you might come off more likeable. jmo
__________________
Whiskey "on tap" - 12/31/15
Spoiler:

Bourbon(16)
Pappy Van Winkle-Family Reserve 15yr & lot "B" 12yr
Baker's 7yr
Blanton's
Knob Creek - 9yr
Basil Hayden
Maker's Mark - 46 & Cask Strength
Woodford Reserve
Jack Daniel's-Gentleman Jack, Single Barrel & Old #7
Four Roses Small Batch
Noah's Mill
Kirkland Bourbon - 7yr

Rye(6)
Angle Envy's - Finished Rye
Ravenswood Rye
Bulleit
High West - Double Rye
Whistle Pig - 10 yr
Old Overholt

Scotch(4)
Glenfiddich - The Distiller's Edition
Tomatin 12yr
The Dimple Pinch - 15 yr
Dewar's White Label

Irish(6)

Middleton Very Rare
Redbreast 12yr
Bushmill - Single Malt 16 yr
Connemarai
Jameson - Caskmates Stout and Regular
Reply With Quote
  #168  
Old 02-14-2019, 03:08 AM
Marcie's Avatar
Marcie Marcie is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 9,573
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agadefe View Post
Like, I find it annoying if every time I walked into a store, someone took a shit on the floor. But that someone shitting on the floor isn't making some sort of societal statement that angers me because of it's cutting message. He's simply shitting on the floor in places where I'd prefer to have shit-free experience.
The problem with this analogy is that the AO isn't really like a nearly $#!+-free store in the sense you're using it here. It's more like an outhouse.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.19198 seconds with 10 queries