Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > General
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Browse Open Actuarial Jobs

Life  Health  Casualty  Pension  Entry Level  All Jobs  Salaries

Old 08-11-2016, 03:21 PM
CAS

Studying for 5
College: Roll Tide - alumnae
Default Bringing up future exams in an interview

I have a phone interview for a job that wanted "at least 2" exams. I have 2. I'm not currently studying for a third (I wanted to focus fully on getting a job, and for a variety of reasons I'm worried a third exam would price me out of EL actuarial jobs).

That said, I'm reasonably confident that I could pass MFE in November if given enough lead time on starting to study for it.

My question is this - should I volunteer that I'm willing to start studying for MFE before I start the job? Or since they wanted two exams, should I wait for someone else to bring it up and follow their lead?
Old 08-11-2016, 03:27 PM
CAS

Pricing you out is a single reason and IMO not a valid one. I wouldn't say that you aren't studying currently during the interview though
Old 08-11-2016, 03:34 PM
CAS

Studying for 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by redearedslider View Post
Pricing you out is a single reason and IMO not a valid one. I wouldn't say that you aren't studying currently during the interview though
Pricing out was a concern mentioned to me by a recruiter and by a family friend who is an FSA, so I listened to that. They both seemed concerned that 3 exams + master's degree + an insurance internship + 2 years of analytical full time work experience might have scared some potential employers off of a low level analyst. Maybe I shouldn't have taken that feedback at face value.

But there's also the part where I don't get study support in my current job and so I'm not sure there are enough hours in the day to do the job I already have, study for an exam, and look for a new job.
Old 08-11-2016, 03:37 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryleslieknope View Post
I'm worried a third exam would price me out of EL actuarial jobs
This is a very stupid thing to think.
Old 08-11-2016, 03:43 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryleslieknope View Post
Pricing out was a concern mentioned to me by a recruiter and by a family friend who is an FSA, so I listened to that. They both seemed concerned that 3 exams + master's degree + an insurance internship + 2 years of analytical full time work experience might have scared some potential employers off of a low level analyst. Maybe I shouldn't have taken that feedback at face value.

But there's also the part where I don't get study support in my current job and so I'm not sure there are enough hours in the day to do the job I already have, study for an exam, and look for a new job.
its not the exams its the salary. if you make 80k right now they aren't going to waste time interviewing you for a position that pays 60k.
SOA

Studying for FSA Exams

To add one data point to the mix, in my interview (current job) I said I had stopped after two exams because I read that you didn't want to have an imbalance between exams and experience (I was a career changer). This was met very positively and I got the job.
CAS

Studying for 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AO Fan Fan View Post
This is a very stupid thing to think.
I'll be the first to admit that I'm very stupid in the ways of finding an actuarial job, but I guess I put my faith in advice from the wrong sources.
Old 08-11-2016, 03:46 PM
CAS

Studying for 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillTreaty View Post
To add one data point to the mix, in my interview (current job) I said I had stopped after two exams because I read that you didn't want to have an imbalance between exams and experience (I was a career changer). This was met very positively and I got the job.
Yeah, I'm hoping it'll go something like that.

And to redearedslider's point, I'm avoiding mentioning salary on any applications unless it forces me to enter a numerical value.
Old 08-11-2016, 03:47 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillTreaty View Post
"We thought about it a lot and even though we believe you to be the best candidate experience and personality wise we decided to go with someone else since they have 1 less exam than you do and we couldn't afford the extra 2k a year"

how long was the gap between your 2nd exam and the interview?
Old 08-11-2016, 03:49 PM
SOA

Studying for FSA Exams

Quote:
Originally Posted by redearedslider View Post
"We thought about it a lot and even though we believe you to be the best candidate experience and personality wise we decided to go with someone else since they have 1 less exam than you do and we couldn't afford the extra 2k a year"

how long was the gap between your 2nd exam and the interview?
Almost a year.