Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 02-18-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsanders33 View Post
you should always err on the side of being over dressed. very rarely will this hurt you.
The biggest hurt comes from feeling out of place, and letting this play with your mind. Many ELs are already over-thinking everything, so it's just another thing to feel self-conscious about. Agree that it's very rare that the person wearing jeans while you wear a suit even notices.

Anyway, anybody want to share good networking stories? How you did it, how somebody approached you?
Old 02-18-2019, 10:47 AM
SOA

Why not just go to a business event where there will be non actuaries. Broaden your horizons for christ's sakes
Old 02-18-2019, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KernelMustard View Post
Why not just go to a business event where there will be non actuaries. Broaden your horizons for christ's sakes
So, your advice for somebody looking for an EL position is that it's too easy to find one at an actuarial meetup, they should go someplace that has even fewer actuarial openings? What an interesting perspective.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:58 AM
Non-Actuary

Studying for Rcpp, Git

Maybe this is a Midwestern thing, but even after a few years of being out of school, I would never recommend that someone use networking as their primary means of obtaining a position. For one thing, people, even at Meetups, are often too reserved: they're not usually there to meet other people, and they're there because they have a slight interest in the subject and they might learn something. The few that are actually interested in networking at those events are of the minority, and not of the majority. Usually those that are actually interested in networking are the presenters at such events (I would say ~80% of the time or so, they outright tell you to add them on LinkedIn, etc.).

Those that actually have built a network by the time they have their bachelors degrees, from my experience, either have a family or friend connection who is high up in management in some company. These people don't have to worry about having a job when they graduate and (essentially by default) already have a job when they've graduated, so it wouldn't surprise me if these are the types of people who emphasize networking more than others.

For what it's worth, in my professional career, no one was interested in networking with me at all until I got a position that was close to the highest executive levels of an organization, and I had 4 years of experience by then. My experience is that there's a small minority of people that are actually interested in networking; quantitative-types are not usually in this population.

Why I hate Microsoft Access.

Studying/Reading: C
Old 02-18-2019, 12:24 PM

Agree that there are a lot of people that are all "you need to network" who basically had a connection or two that built their network for them. These people rarely understand why you can't network your way into a position because it's so easy to do (if you start with one being handed to you).

But the "no one was interested in networking" doesn't IMO translate to "there's no value in networking with them". Even if they're not there to network, they're there, and they need to fill up their lunch or whatever between presentations. Some of those same people will have hiring needs, in their departments or elsewhere in their company. If you seem knowledgeable and interesting to talk to, it might turn into something, even if they weren't there to network.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:29 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

It's worth networking with a ton of peers early on in your career even though they can't hire you. Or conversely, even when you don't have the power to hire them. Later on in your career these will be the SVPs and execs who will have the power to buy services from you later, so cast your net wide and early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:37 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
It's worth networking with a ton of peers early on in your career even though they can't hire you. Or conversely, even when you don't have the power to hire them. Later on in your career these will be the SVPs and execs who will have the power to buy services from you later, so cast your net wide and early.
Listen to CS.
Old 02-18-2019, 01:03 PM
SOA AAA

Agreed. Club or Society meetings are not places to get jobs. There are job fairs for that. They are places to meet people who have a similar interest.
Now, if you suck at meeting new people, this is going to suck. Badly. You can blame your parents for not allowing you to meet strangers in their vans filled with candy or ice cream, I guess. Those were networking training sessions!!!
Old 03-01-2019, 03:37 PM
CAS Non-Actuary

Studying for IFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
Maybe when networking, find a common interest that you both have. (Golf, poker, D&D, local sports, whatever.) [This is for the peer networking.]
Old 06-07-2019, 01:58 PM

Another thread on the topic
http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...d.php?t=340807