Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Finance - Investments > Non-Actuarial Personal Finance/Investing
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson Global Actuarial & Analytics Recruitment
Download our 2017 Actuarial Salary Survey
now with state-by-state salary information!

Old Yesterday, 11:26 AM

Favorite beer: pilseners

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulzEMH View Post
Oh, I think it will happen just no way its Teslas current fleet lacking with 1 Radar, 8? cameras, sensors but no Lidar and limited capital. Tesla isn't going to out chip Nvidia/Intel, out AI Google with their tiny Capex.

F'ing musk was even asked at the Autonomous day how much they were spending on AI research... he said virtually all of our expense load (or somethign like that) as if nothing goes into model y, semi, roadster, XX refresh, battery tech... etc.
Yeah, I don't think they will out-chip or out-ai. To some degree they might out-data. But more importantly, they can arrive a couple years late to the party (supposing Waymo and Nvidia are already there) and still claim victory.

Though you might be right about it being hopeless without lidar.
Sredni Vashtar the Beautiful.

Last edited by Sredni Vashtar; Yesterday at 11:34 AM..
Old Yesterday, 08:03 PM

Musk admits Q2 will now be a loss, after missing much lowered Q1 guidance, but have no fear still going to sell 360 to 400k cars in 2019 (in spite of April looking crappy already) and Q3 and Q4 are going to be profitable (in spite of their tax credit getting cut further at the end of Q2).

I'm not a P&C actuary but some retail investor asked if they were planning to launch an insurance feature since insurance is high. Musk said in the next month they are planning to, TeslaQ crowd losing their mind but I assume he means partnering with some insurance company. Seems like they could peel off the best risk if tesla tracks speeding/driving (like the progressive approach), makes rates for remaining Tesla owners worse though. The bigger issue I think though is that the tesla's are super expensive to fix and they take a long time to source parts, so people are stuck getting rentals running up bills.

Last edited by lulzEMH; Yesterday at 08:08 PM..
Old Yesterday, 08:08 PM
Non-Actuary

It's those car insurance profits.

I need to polish up my resume now that Tesla is getting into the business.

Horrible horrible earnings and the stock is flat. I kind of called that.
Old Today, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunchBox View Post
It's those car insurance profits.

I need to polish up my resume now that Tesla is getting into the business.

Horrible horrible earnings and the stock is flat. I kind of called that.
Day is still early but down a little over 2%. I'm not too surprised given I thought the market expectations were well below what analyst had lowered guidance to.

So everyone knows how much Musk was highlighting the 400K Model 3 deposits as he used it to raise capital and prove demand. End of Q4 and he doesn't want to talk about deposits because the Model 3 is in production so deposits don't matter. They do the Y reveal (show off a slightly modified 3 as a Y), set up the page to take orders. Report that deposits actually dropped sequential. Analysist ask about it.. Musk says deposits for the Y don't matter because it's not in production yet.

Solar keeps winding down.... man energy has some really crappy margins even when they can sell stuff.

One analysist asked why they lowered prices if demand wasn't a problem, stated the obvious that car companies usually only lower prices to increase demand. Musk had a long winded response obviously never really responding to the question.

Most Elon answer was when asked by an analyst fanboy that believes in FSD why they don't release more of their safety data to help with regulatory approval of FSD... musk stated that shorts would just data mine to show misrepresent it.