Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment > Resume & Cover Letter Advice Forum
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Actuarial Jobs by State

New York  New Jersey  Connecticut  Massachusetts 
California  Florida  Texas  Illinois  Colorado

Old 08-05-2017, 08:30 PM
SOA

Default Please insult my resume

Hi everyone,

I just passed the FM exam today (yay), and I am perfecting my resume before I send it out to the people who agreed to give me referrals. Before I do that, I just want to make sure that my resume sounds professional and is the best it can be. If you all could criticize my resume and give me any kind of feedback, that would be great! Specifically, I want to know if I should take out the section on being a Mathematics Grader under Work Experience since that section is relatively weak, and use the extra space to include another example under leadership since I feel that that section is a bit sparse. Also, I am currently teaching myself just the simple basics of Access, R, SQL, and SAS, and I am not sure if I should write "Self-teaching Access, R, SQL, SAS" or "Familiar with Access, R, SQL, SAS."

Any advice would be helpful! Also, don't be afraid to be mean; I need harsh criticism if I want to improve my resume.

Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: doc Cindy Ni Resume 2017-2018.doc (36.5 KB, 182 views)
Old 08-05-2017, 09:32 PM
SOA

Might just be on my end, but the word doc is 2 pages when I download it (the second page is only 1 line). If this is really the case, get it down to 1 page.

I'm not much of a critique, but this looks like a really good resume imo. Good Luck... harsher people should be here soon...
Old 08-07-2017, 10:34 AM
SOA

College: University of Wisconsin

Remove all contact and identifying information.

http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...d.php?t=273327
Old 08-07-2017, 11:48 AM
Note Contributor
Non-Actuary

Studying for MFE

Hardly makes a difference when you use your name to login here. If she wants to keep info private, she'll need an alt ID and will need to delete this thread.

Looks a bit dense. Indenting all text under the section headings will probably take care of that. And it will make the overall format stand out a little more. You won't need all-caps for the section headings then. They kind of look a little odd now anyway.

I'd put the exam section above education. I'd get rid of the exam subject. It just makes the section harder to read. I'd not bother with the score. I'd make it a little more tabular-looking - I'd put the exam first, then make the Passed a separate left-aligned column space over just a little (not a lot).

I'd use a comma rather than a hyphen to separate U or employer from city and state.

I'd abbreviate B.A. I'd use "Minor in". I'd leave off "Cumulative" and "/4.000". I'd consider losing a decimal place.

I'd not use italics. It's harder to read.

I'd leave a space on either side of a hyphen in a date range.

I'd consider abbreviating months everywhere. It makes it a little less dense and a little more easy to read.

I'd put the city after the employer, not after the job.

Your bullets are long. You're doing a lot of padding. Padding is bad. Short and to the point is good.

In bullets, I'd try to keep the focus on the results. Your first one has a result, but you put it 3/4 of the way through a long bullet, where it very likely won't be noticed. Put it up front. That's WAY more important than # of macros or # pages of code (I'd remove that). It's not necessary to mention the Marketing Analyst to take credit for time savings. It's unnecessary filler. I'd not use the word "macro". It makes me think that you just recorded it. I'm not saying it's bad or anything like that, but be aware that 1 hr/mo doesn't seem like much savings and it is likely to bring up the question of how much time you spent setting this up and whether it was worthwhile in the end. So just be prepared for the question.

The 2nd bullet sounds very similar to the first. By keeping the focus on results it will sound less like the same thing. "formula-based" seems like total filler to me. Excel is formula-based. I'd avoid semicolons in bullets. What you tacked on here seems unnecessary.

"Collaborated with" is a lame start. How do you collaborate? By doing something. So just make the bullet about what you did and avoid the collaborate part.

4th bullet sounds like it should go. I'm guessing "Initiated ... correspondence" means you sent an email. Using big words doesn't make a lame task any less lame. It's not noteworthy. There's no good reason to start listing countries and "etc" is never helpful. Plus, coming after the third bullet it just sounds like you didn't finish the job. You already mention 1200 actuaries, but you only sent out 600 emails. I'd get rid of this.

I'd leave the grader job in, but there's no reason for the bullets. It's all obvious and is filler. Researching HW problems in a subject you presumably should already know doesn't make you sound good.

The bus intern bullets again would be much better if they focused on results and weren't padded. "Initiated ... correspondence" again sounds like you're trying to make a big deal about an email or mail package. It's not clear whether you did anything other than send. You mention proposing a campaign. Were you proposing anything specific to the company or were you just sending standard stuff out?

I'd not capitalize international trade shows. Avoid "facilitate" as it doesn't mean anything meaningful here.

I'd be careful with use of "supervised". If you weren't officially in charge of other people, I'd not use the word. As a freshman intern who'd not had a job before, were you really in a supervisory role? What kind of supervision was necessary to get someone to type 200 records into a DB?

Collaborate and coordinate are lame words to start bullets. What is important is what you did/achieved. How much money did you raise?

You don't need a separate Computer Skill subsection under skills. Just make the section Computer Skills.
Old 08-10-2017, 02:17 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjvj View Post
Hardly makes a difference when you use your name to login here. If she wants to keep info private, she'll need an alt ID and will need to delete this thread.

Looks a bit dense. Indenting all text under the section headings will probably take care of that. And it will make the overall format stand out a little more. You won't need all-caps for the section headings then. They kind of look a little odd now anyway.

I'd put the exam section above education. I'd get rid of the exam subject. It just makes the section harder to read. I'd not bother with the score. I'd make it a little more tabular-looking - I'd put the exam first, then make the Passed a separate left-aligned column space over just a little (not a lot).

I'd use a comma rather than a hyphen to separate U or employer from city and state.

I'd abbreviate B.A. I'd use "Minor in". I'd leave off "Cumulative" and "/4.000". I'd consider losing a decimal place.

I'd not use italics. It's harder to read.

I'd leave a space on either side of a hyphen in a date range.

I'd consider abbreviating months everywhere. It makes it a little less dense and a little more easy to read.

I'd put the city after the employer, not after the job.

Your bullets are long. You're doing a lot of padding. Padding is bad. Short and to the point is good.

In bullets, I'd try to keep the focus on the results. Your first one has a result, but you put it 3/4 of the way through a long bullet, where it very likely won't be noticed. Put it up front. That's WAY more important than # of macros or # pages of code (I'd remove that). It's not necessary to mention the Marketing Analyst to take credit for time savings. It's unnecessary filler. I'd not use the word "macro". It makes me think that you just recorded it. I'm not saying it's bad or anything like that, but be aware that 1 hr/mo doesn't seem like much savings and it is likely to bring up the question of how much time you spent setting this up and whether it was worthwhile in the end. So just be prepared for the question.

The 2nd bullet sounds very similar to the first. By keeping the focus on results it will sound less like the same thing. "formula-based" seems like total filler to me. Excel is formula-based. I'd avoid semicolons in bullets. What you tacked on here seems unnecessary.

"Collaborated with" is a lame start. How do you collaborate? By doing something. So just make the bullet about what you did and avoid the collaborate part.

4th bullet sounds like it should go. I'm guessing "Initiated ... correspondence" means you sent an email. Using big words doesn't make a lame task any less lame. It's not noteworthy. There's no good reason to start listing countries and "etc" is never helpful. Plus, coming after the third bullet it just sounds like you didn't finish the job. You already mention 1200 actuaries, but you only sent out 600 emails. I'd get rid of this.

I'd leave the grader job in, but there's no reason for the bullets. It's all obvious and is filler. Researching HW problems in a subject you presumably should already know doesn't make you sound good.

The bus intern bullets again would be much better if they focused on results and weren't padded. "Initiated ... correspondence" again sounds like you're trying to make a big deal about an email or mail package. It's not clear whether you did anything other than send. You mention proposing a campaign. Were you proposing anything specific to the company or were you just sending standard stuff out?

I'd not capitalize international trade shows. Avoid "facilitate" as it doesn't mean anything meaningful here.

I'd be careful with use of "supervised". If you weren't officially in charge of other people, I'd not use the word. As a freshman intern who'd not had a job before, were you really in a supervisory role? What kind of supervision was necessary to get someone to type 200 records into a DB?

Collaborate and coordinate are lame words to start bullets. What is important is what you did/achieved. How much money did you raise?

You don't need a separate Computer Skill subsection under skills. Just make the section Computer Skills.
Thank you so much! This was very helpful
Old 08-10-2017, 02:21 PM
CAS

10 pages of VBA only reduced 2 hours of work per month!?
Old 08-10-2017, 02:29 PM
CAS SOA

record macros?
Old 08-10-2017, 02:40 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Japanese
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: La Croix Grapefruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwitt25 View Post
Remove all contact and identifying information.

http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...d.php?t=273327
Yeah what if Latitude30 sees this? You'll get some weird phone calls about proving theorems via daydream and stuff
Old 08-10-2017, 02:53 PM
SOA

sorry but what how much is a page of VBA?
Old 08-10-2017, 03:15 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormalDan View Post
10 pages of VBA only reduced 2 hours of work per month!?
.Select x 100000000

Tags
internship, resume