Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment > Resume & Cover Letter Advice Forum
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Browse Open Actuarial Jobs

Life  Health  Casualty  Pension  Entry Level  All Jobs  Salaries

Old 03-02-2018, 09:20 PM
Non-Actuary

College: 1st year
Default college freshman resume critique

i have no exams passed and most positions have already been filled over the fall, but i'm hoping i can get something with your guys' help! please be brutally honest, no feelings will be hurt. located in CA but willing to relocate to another state in the summer!

EDIT: basic proficiency in microsoft office, should i add that? and where would i add it? also should i delete the tutoring part in high school?
Attached Images
File Type: pdf anonymous.pdf (122.8 KB, 83 views)

Last edited by 17hojk; 03-02-2018 at 09:31 PM..
Old 03-12-2018, 01:58 PM
Note Contributor
Non-Actuary

Studying for MFE

Mostly little things.

I'd not bullet everything. You don't really need them for the exam or education secitons.

I'd use bigger bullets (the bullets themselves, that is).

The font also seems small to me. I might bump it up.

I'd indent all text under the section headings to make the overall format stand out even more.

I'd probably remove the HS. I'd probably list grad date rather than attendance range.

I'd put the dates on the right margin. That makes it easier to build a timeline.

I'd be consistent with dates - always include a month and year. I'd abbreviate the months.

I'd put work first, then volunteer, then extracurricular.

I'd not try to pad the job bullets. One bullet to say what you did is sufficient. Keep it simple. For a job like this, the details aren't important. It's the having had the job that's important. You get no benefit from trying to hype or pad. Seriously, keep it simple.

So when you've moved the tutoring into a volunteer section, you don't need to started with "volunteered". That lets you use the straight-forward and simple "Taught ... (subjects) to (whatever)".

There's really no point in the Act Sci Club or ski club bullets.

I'd look for stronger words for the calpirg bullets. Reaching out, and met with are pretty weak. Raised awareness seems to be, too, although I think that is mainly because of the rest of the bullet. I'm not sure what "how to further legislation" means.
Old 08-06-2018, 06:09 PM
Non-Actuary

College: 1st year

sorry i just saw this yesterday! thank you for helping! i fixed some things and posted again on the resume advice forum. i'd love for you to look at it again, but if you don't have time no worries! thanks again!

Tags
internship, resume, resume critique