Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Actuarial Jobs by State

New York  New Jersey  Connecticut  Massachusetts 
California  Florida  Texas  Illinois  Colorado

Old 07-08-2016, 09:24 AM
CAS SOA

Studying for enlightenment

if you want to do an "informational interview" then you need to just honestly want to have a conversation with another human being without the desire to get anything from them besides good conversation. honestly, you will have a lot more fun in your job search if you treat it this way. The same rule applies to girls and dating. don't be thirsty...
Old 07-08-2016, 09:30 AM
CAS SOA

a lot of (respectable) girls won't even agree to meet with you for a coffee if they think you're just interested in *** and not interested in getting to know them
Old 07-08-2016, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbedNadir View Post
if you want to do an "informational interview" then you need to just honestly want to have a conversation with another human being without the desire to get anything from them besides good conversation information.
ifyp
The most important thing I have learned from the career forum is that the gurus in this field and keepers of supreme knowledge regarding all matters pertaining to the actuarial profession are unlettered actuarial students with < 5 years of experience.
Old 07-08-2016, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actexp View Post
Think you worrying too much about semantics. If someone asks me for informational interview, I understand that as another term for networking. Obviously they want to make good impression and perhaps get job at my company now or in the future. They also want to have a contact who can give them leads, and also do some educating about any number of things-local job market, aspects of the profession, different specialties, etc etc.
I agree with this and generally disagree with EEA's post this was responding to.
The most important thing I have learned from the career forum is that the gurus in this field and keepers of supreme knowledge regarding all matters pertaining to the actuarial profession are unlettered actuarial students with < 5 years of experience.
Old 07-08-2016, 11:41 AM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locrian View Post
ifyp
yes, I agree that they are not at all obligated to be your friend and they can decide to not divulge any personal information whatsoever for the purpose of conversation making.

I imagine that some actuaries may agree to do an informational interview and then act like robots who are simply actuarial encyclopedias without personal experiences or feelings
Old 07-08-2016, 11:52 AM
CAS

Quote:
if you want to do an "informational interview" then you need to just honestly want to have a conversation with another human being without the desire to get anything from them besides good conversation. honestly, you will have a lot more fun in your job search if you treat it this way. The same rule applies to girls and dating. don't be thirsty...
I somewhat disagree, whats he going to do with the information if he can't use it. You essentially want the job or the girl in any situation not how good/bad the job or the girl is.
Old 07-08-2016, 12:01 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by freak View Post
I somewhat disagree, whats he going to do with the information if he can't use it. You essentially want the job or the girl in any situation not how good/bad the job or the girl is.
only if you are desperate.
Old 07-08-2016, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freak View Post
Agreed, AbedNadir's advice seems pretty weird.
Old 07-08-2016, 02:36 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locrian View Post
Agreed, AbedNadir's advice seems pretty weird.
what, so you think that you can't talk to an actuary just to learn from them for other reasons? what about mentorship from people more experienced than you?
Old 07-08-2016, 02:38 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for Rcpp, Git

Quote:
what, so you think that you can't talk to an actuary just to learn from them for other reasons? what about mentorship from people more experienced than you?
Very, very few people are willing to take their time to do this.

Why I hate Microsoft Access.

Studying/Reading: Linear Optimization/Programming, Machine Learning and Pattern Recognition

Tags
cold e-mail, resume