Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > CAS > CAS Exams > Exam 5 - Ratemaking/Reserving
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

Old 06-07-2018, 04:43 PM
CAS

College: UNC-Chapel Hill Alum
Favorite beer: Red Oak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud View Post
How else is someone supposed to brag about how well they did on exams when negotiating for a bigger cube?
There're bigger ones???
Old 06-07-2018, 04:43 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALivelySedative View Post
There're bigger ones???
Office cubes!
Old 06-07-2018, 04:44 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALivelySedative View Post
There're bigger ones???
TWSS
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaz wit Attitude View Post
Force of habit, 2pac's been typing "88" a LOT since Trump got elected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
You ought to see the bush. It's impressive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikachu
10:53 pm: some ppl dont take advices well
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo fan
9:45 pm: ao fan would be hot covered in mayo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikelfritz
if you'd like I can come visit and dress up like a girl and get in some fights
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaner3339 View Post
i think everyone needs to do this type of thing to get a dose of reality and straighten people up. it's kinda like going to the mountains and becoming a monk except it's with hundreds of potatoes and a lot of stoners with tattoos in a kitchen
Old 06-07-2018, 04:48 PM
CAS

College: Fairfield University

Quote:
I agree with you. I'm just saying for some [what I believe is a small number of] people, PASS isn't good enough. I've never understood why.
I agree. To me, a pass is a pass, and the grade doesn’t really matter. Yes, it would be nice to know if you “just passed” or “crushed it,” but at the end of the day isn’t the end result the same? Has your manager or boss ever said “Well that’s great you passed, but what was your score!?” Does your company give extra exam raises or bonuses for a higher mark? I highly doubt it. Nobody cares about the score as long as it’s a passing one!
Old 06-07-2018, 04:51 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIsland20 View Post
I agree. To me, a pass is a pass, and the grade doesn’t really matter. Yes, it would be nice to know if you “just passed” or “crushed it,” but at the end of the day isn’t the end result the same? Has your manager or boss ever said “Well that’s great you passed, but what was your score!?” Does your company give extra exam raises or bonuses for a higher mark? I highly doubt it. Nobody cares about the score as long as it’s a passing one!
You know leaving where you are on the score spectrum. I'd be surprised if anyone finished an exam honestly thinking they got a 9 or 10 and ended up with a 6.
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaz wit Attitude View Post
Force of habit, 2pac's been typing "88" a LOT since Trump got elected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
You ought to see the bush. It's impressive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikachu
10:53 pm: some ppl dont take advices well
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo fan
9:45 pm: ao fan would be hot covered in mayo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikelfritz
if you'd like I can come visit and dress up like a girl and get in some fights
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaner3339 View Post
i think everyone needs to do this type of thing to get a dose of reality and straighten people up. it's kinda like going to the mountains and becoming a monk except it's with hundreds of potatoes and a lot of stoners with tattoos in a kitchen
Old 06-07-2018, 04:56 PM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Beer-Sheva

Quote:
I agree with you. I'm just saying for some [what I believe is a small number of] people, PASS isn't good enough. I've never understood why.
I'm guessing it's the actuarial theory that we need to collect as much data from the past as possible to help us predict the optimal amount of study hours needed to put in for future exams. Without knowing the pass marks back then, it was helpful information for me when I took my first exam, when I got a 10 after answering about 75% of the questions with confidence. Gave me a better idea of how much I needed to study for the next exam. But now that pass marks are published, I don't see this as very useful.
Old 06-07-2018, 04:57 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowMotionWalter View Post
You know leaving where you are on the score spectrum. I'd be surprised if anyone finished an exam honestly thinking they got a 9 or 10 and ended up with a 6.
Not always the case. at least in the opposite way. I had a few exams (prelims though) that I thought I may have gotten a 6 but ended up with a 9...
That being said, I'm firmly part of the group that doesn't really care, a pass is a pass.
Old 06-07-2018, 05:05 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke Lamora View Post
Probably an unpopular opinion, but I don't think perpetuating those "over-study" ideas are appropriate. I get it, you only need a 6 to pass, but knowing the material better isn't wasting your time when it potentially makes you better at your job. For example, I'd wager someone scoring in the 95th percentile will be more likely able to explain why or why not the Mango-Allen Claim Staffing technique for estimating ULAE is appropriate versus someone scoring a 6, should that type of situation come up in their career. I get it, unlikely, but don't actuaries account for unlikely situations?

:soapbox:
I got a 10 on an exam where I felt like I didn't master the material to an acceptable level as an actuary. (and I'm the type of student who tries to actually understand the material, not just regurgitate it)
On the other hand I've also experienced the contrary: I was content with my knowledge of the material, but that would not have been enough to pass the exam.
Old 06-07-2018, 05:16 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorian Atreides View Post
What needs to be "transparent" about passing scores?
I actually think not releasing people's actual scores and grading results is not transparent.

The CAS gives you very little wiggle room to figure out how you were actually graded. That is a lack of transparency in my opinion.
Old 06-07-2018, 05:20 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by x_chuck_x View Post
I think you will just have to write this entire testing cycle off as anomalous, I'm afraid. While you may argue that the way in which they are releasing the exams is not transparent, I believe they are being quite transparent in their motives for releasing the exam results in the way they are. They are tending toward efficiency considering they have two complete sets of exams for a "record number of registrants." So, they have a shortened period of time in which to grade and report on upwards of 2,000 exams. This with a volunteer force of graders.

No perfect solution. So stop expecting to get one.
I don't have any expectations regarding the CAS. From my own experience with taking seven upper level exams, I don't have any expectation from the CAS. I am just saying that I don't think they are transparent.

Having appealed various questions in the past and received both passing and failing grades on prior tests, I can tell you that I never know what I did that resulted in a pass for me vs a fail. This is especially true when you get a 5.