Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > General Insurance Track > Introduction to General Insurance Exam
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 09-13-2018, 05:15 PM
SOA

College: Brigham Young University
Default Is the Actex manual enough?

Hi all,
I'm preparing to take the Introduction to General Insurance Exam. I just picked up the Actex manual. Its pretty slim (only 200 pages) which has me kind of worried that it might not contain everything I need. Should I be get the text books in addition? I hate to spend the extra money. Thanks!
Old 10-29-2018, 03:29 AM
CAS SOA

You can also take OC1 and OC2 and use them as a waivers.

https://ecuador.travel/
Old 11-21-2018, 12:27 AM
SOA

College: The Australian National University

Quote:
Originally Posted by mheasley View Post
Hi all,
I'm preparing to take the Introduction to General Insurance Exam. I just picked up the Actex manual. Its pretty slim (only 200 pages) which has me kind of worried that it might not contain everything I need. Should I be get the text books in addition? I hate to spend the extra money. Thanks!
I'm pretty sure getting the textbooks is a must, Actex manual is good for helping you summarize. There are too many tiny parts on the textbooks, but everything can be tested.
Old 11-21-2018, 12:55 AM
CAS

I know nothing about this exam, but is be really shocked if the actex manual is sufficient.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:17 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppermintPatty View Post
I know nothing about this exam, but is be really shocked if the actex manual is sufficient.
I wouldn't. The exam is basically OC1/OC2. Take a look at the SOA released exam: https://www.soa.org/Files/Edu/edu-20...xam-562UiR.pdf

The real question is if you need to study for this exam at all...
Old 11-30-2018, 06:08 PM
SOA

I just took the GIINT exam Fall 2018 and passed. Seeing how OC1 and OC2 are far more expensive it seemed more economical to take GIINT.

I started off studying with the Actex manual and found that it lacked some details here and there so I picked up the source texts. I'm in agreement with syl9810 that it is a good summary but the source is a must. Plus the Actex manual provides some practice questions which are nice.
Old 12-03-2018, 05:35 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealsylvos View Post
The real question is if you need to study for this exam at all...
Geez, can't get away from these CAS trolls.

Tune out these negative vibrations.
Old 12-03-2018, 05:48 PM
CAS

Quote:
Geez, can't get away from these CAS trolls.

Tune out these negative vibrations.
Sorry didn't mean to downplay anything. FWIW I failed OC1 the first time I took it. I had less than 3 months of experience at that time. After a few years working in P&C though you should be able to answer most of these questions just through osmosis.
Old 12-03-2018, 06:56 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealsylvos View Post
Sorry didn't mean to downplay anything. FWIW I failed OC1 the first time I took it. I had less than 3 months of experience at that time. After a few years working in P&C though you should be able to answer most of these questions just through osmosis.
I appreciate your clarification. I don't think I agree that you can pass this with no or little studying. Some things you should absorb with experience, as you suggest, but the GIINT exam covers the basics of just about every kind of P&C insurance including auto, home, liability, WC, reinsurance, etc. My P&C experience has been in personal auto and home and I was largely unfamiliar with other types of P&C insurance or anything commercial. I think that most people taking the GIINT or OC1 and OC2 are in similar situations, in that they only have experience in certain types of insurance. No way I would have passed with no or little studying. I learned a lot from this exam.

Last edited by mheasley; 12-03-2018 at 07:15 PM..
Old 12-03-2018, 10:04 PM
CAS

Quote:
I just took the GIINT exam Fall 2018 and passed. Seeing how OC1 and OC2 are far more expensive it seemed more economical to take GIINT.

I started off studying with the Actex manual and found that it lacked some details here and there so I picked up the source texts. I'm in agreement with syl9810 that it is a good summary but the source is a must. Plus the Actex manual provides some practice questions which are nice.
Of course, OC1 and OC2 give you credit with both societies. I don't think the CAS gives credit for GIINT. And OC1 and OC2 have very high pass rates. (the % of people who sit for them who pass.)

Tags
actex, general insurance, giin