Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Not looking for a job? Tell us about your ideal job,
and we'll only contact you when it opens up.
https://www.dwsimpson.com/register

Old 06-12-2016, 12:59 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
https://www.propublica.org/article/h...form=hootsuite

Some interesting visualization/animations in this one, but want to highlight this issue:
That's not so nonsensical when you view gender as a spectrum, Ms Campbell.
Old 06-12-2016, 01:04 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

Yes, but is it a linear scale?

Or should we use a log scale?

LinkedIn Profile
Old 06-12-2016, 02:03 PM
CAS

I saw a nice graph of the current poll results for the presidential election, published by the NYT, but I can't find it now. So I'll link to something similar and describe it. Basically, it was the map below, but with each state colored based on recent polls. So some states were dark/medium/light red or blue, or yellow for states that were really close. It avoids the "vomit" look by being a set of tidy squares. The geography is familiar enough that you can see the nation, despite the distortion. You could glance at this map and have a sense of what Clinton's lead is right now, and what states were going to matter.

And here's an article that talks a little about it.
https://cdn1.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/31I...55.13%20PM.png
Attached Images

Last edited by PeppermintPatty; 06-12-2016 at 02:10 PM..
Old 06-12-2016, 02:17 PM
CAS

I loathe cartograms, Sir.
Old 06-20-2016, 07:45 AM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/6f777...#axzz4BS55nqiS

Quote:
Communicating with data – timelines

FT visualisation experts turn to the past to solve a complex chart problem

Anyone faced with a design challenge will recognise “the feeling” — something is not quite right, yet it is difficult to put your finger on the problem.

Here is an example from a story recently featured in the FT: emerging- market populations are expected to age more rapidly than those in developed countries. The figures alone are compelling: France is expected to take 157 years (from 1865 to 2022) to triple the proportion of its population aged over 65, from 7 per cent to 21 per cent; for China, the equivalent period is likely to be just 34 years (from 2001 to 2035).

Quote:

But, to me, this approach generates “the feeling” — and further scrutiny reveals specific problems. A reader must work hard to memorise the date information next to the country labels to work out if there is a relationship between the start date and the length of time taken for the population to age. The chart is clearly not ideal, but how do we improve it?

One pioneer from the pre-computer era, whose work was of towering significance, was Joseph Priestley, an 18th century polymath. Famous in his own lifetime for the invention of soda water, and with at least a partial claim to the discovery of oxygen (or “dephlogisticated air” as he preferred to call it), Priestley’s popular writings covered theology, politics, science and history. He was also a passionate teacher and as well as writing essays on approaches to education, he prepared materials to aid students.

Quote:
So it was to Priestley’s timelines that I turned for inspiration to solve our puzzle about emerging markets and their populations. Showing date and duration together was exactly the visualisation challenge I faced. By adapting the horizontal axis of the chart to show the progress of time rather than simple duration in years (a subtle but important distinction), we can move the bars from our chart into a chronological format, and arrange them in order of when they first hit 7 per cent of the population being 65 or over.

Quote:

I did not draw this graphic by hand. And yet it is not a chart type offered very often by today’s software chart wizards. It was produced using d3.js, an open-source code-based visualisation library. It has no wizard. Simply put, the library allows someone to make use of what computers are good at (which is handling data and using it to repetitively draw precise geometry — based on instructions you give it). But it keeps the human in charge.

As Mike Bostock, creator of d3.js, has said: “I wanted something that gave the designer greater control over the output — the kind of control that the early practitioners [like Playfair] had because they did things by hand.”

Learning how to code can be daunting — but the rewards of using d3.js are significant. And the good thing with computer code is that it is shareable and reusable. You can access the code I wrote to produce a simple Priestley-style timeline on the code-sharing website GitHub. Alternatively, try sketching the design of your next killer chart on paper first (or if you are an economist such as Arthur Laffer, the back of a napkin) — the feeling of escaping the wizard can be liberating.

LinkedIn Profile
Old 06-20-2016, 07:47 AM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Oooh, and I should get this book:
https://www.papress.com/html/book.de...=9781616890582

oooh, cool

https://issuu.com/papress/docs/carto...189773/2551310

LinkedIn Profile
Old 06-20-2016, 08:38 AM
CAS

Hmm, I'm pretty sure I could have drawn that chart in excel. I'm not a huge fan of excel's chart-producing abilities, but this isn't the anti-excel poster child.

Last edited by PeppermintPatty; 06-20-2016 at 08:46 AM..
Old 06-20-2016, 08:43 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppermintPatty View Post
Hmm, I'm pretty sure i could have drawn that chart in excel. I'm not a higher fan of excel's chart-producing abilities, but this isn't the anti-excel poster child.
I'm thinking I could possibly produce that chart on my phone, like you did this post, Sir.
Old 06-20-2016, 08:47 AM
CAS

fixed. Thank you Marcie
Old 06-20-2016, 09:56 AM
Non-Actuary

Studying for Spark / Scala
College: College of William and Mary
Favorite beer: Orange Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppermintPatty View Post
Hmm, I'm pretty sure I could have drawn that chart in excel. I'm not a huge fan of excel's chart-producing abilities, but this isn't the anti-excel poster child.
Let's see it!

-Riley

Tags
data science, predictive analytics