Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Diversions > Bridge
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson Global Actuarial & Analytics Recruitment
Download our 2017 Actuarial Salary Survey
now with state-by-state salary information!

Bridge Sub-Forums: Frequency and Severity

Old 01-21-2018, 01:22 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Clearly my thinking evolved as a result of oirg's thoughts
Quote:
Thank you for participating in the District 4 Master Solvers' Club. This is a confirmation of your entry for your records.

--------------------------------------------------------
Problem set: February 2018
Respondent: Steve White (D4)
--------------------------------------------------------

Problem 1A
Steve White: No, prefer something else (specify). 1st choice - 2NT, Ogust. 2nd choice - 2NT asking for a feature with more than a minimum (but asking for a feature even if minimum would be much lower than pass). Just passing without any ask is tempting, and was my initial preference.

Problem 1B
Steve White: Four spades. Seems very clear, given the matchpoint conditions. I expect many pairs in 2S and 3S and don't expect to beat them in 4D. If 4S comes home, I'll have a good score.

Choosing problems must be a very tough job, but putting people into a situation where they would object to the previous auction seems like a poor setup. (Maybe my perception is wrong, and you'll get widespread support for 3D. Could be.) Just part A would have been a good question if you defined the meaning of some answer possibilities, e.g.: 3C (forcing), 3D (forcing), 2NT (forcing, asks for feature if maximum), Pass, 3S , 4S. Or you could specify that 2NT would be Ogust. As long as methods are defined and reasonable, it's fine to ask people what their bid would be.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:46 AM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Solution to the February problem http://files.constantcontact.com/2bd...724fe3af2e.pdf, where I got 100 points even though mostly not for the correct reason.

On part A, scoring was 20 points if you disagreed with 3D, 10 if you agreed with it. I had gone over to oirg's suggestion that we should inquire with 2NT, which was the plurality response among panel and solvers. My original "no, prefer pass" was not even listed as a possibility. "No, prefer other (not 4S, not 2NT)" got 0 panel and 2 solver votes. From the commentary, none of the "prefer other" commented that they "prefer pass". I don't remember whether "No, prefer pass" was an available choice. "No, prefer 4S" got 3 panel votes and 13 solver votes.

So even if I had stuck with my own "No, prefer pass" I would have gotten the 20.

On part B, where I bid 4S only because of the matchpoint conditions, 4S was almost the universal choice, with most of the commenters expected to make it. There was some discussion of slam possibilities (which a few comments that 4S now expressed some slam interest, after the 3D response and a raise, but most seemed to agree 4S was to play.)
Old 02-01-2018, 11:55 AM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The March problem, due Feb 20: http://d4msc.straguzzi.org/

IMPs, North-South vulnerable
AK62 A AK9873 J10
Code:
South West  North East
            Pass  Pass
1♦    2♠    Pass  Pass
?

Will this be unanimous for 3NT? It might not make, and 6D might, but it seems like overwhelmingly the best choice.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:56 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You´re running out of time to convince me that there is a reasonable alternative to 3NT. You´re also running out of time to answer the question in the actual district 4 contest, unless you´ve already entered.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:53 AM
Non-Actuary

I like 3NT.
Steve Jobs and I talked about how we wanted to make blind people as equal and capable as sighted people, and you'd have to say we succeeded when you look at all the people walking down the sidewalk looking down at something in their hands and totally oblivious to everything around them! -- Steve Wozniak

"Imaginary evil is romantic and varied; real evil is gloomy, monotonous, barren, boring. Imaginary good, is boring, real good is always new, marvellous, intoxicating." -- Simone Weil
Old 02-20-2018, 12:25 PM
SOA AAA

College: University of Wisconsin
Favorite beer: Ale, Lager, you name it

For the record, I submitted 2NT - I'm a chicken, I guess.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:28 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I submitted 3NT before seeing that. I would have submitted it even after seeing that.

I started my comments with “Will this be unanimous?” I might have thought better of that comment had I seen it. OTOH, predictions of unanimity are de riguer for the Bridge World MSC, even if not accompanying the majority choice. (We didn´t use any in our 2019 picks, or even any “WTP?”s.
Old 02-21-2018, 01:55 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Japanese
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: La Croix Grapefruit

I actually like 3 Diamonds more at IMPs. Likely to rough spades in dummy. West might lead club from an outside suit, you never know. 3D->(3H)->3NT likely and more informative.
Old 03-01-2018, 02:52 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

3NT scored 100, but it was far from unanimous. It got 10 of 16 panel votes (also 4 for 2NT, 1 each for double and 4D). Scoring of alternatives was extremely generous. 90 for 2NT (reasonable scoring IMO); 80 () for 3D with 0 panelist votes, tho it did get about 25% of the solver votes; 70 each for double and 4D, and 60 each for Pass and 3S.
Old 03-01-2018, 03:20 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The April problem, due March 20. http://d4msc.straguzzi.org/

Code:
Matchpoints, both vulnerable
S-QJ9652 H-J5 D-8643 C-6
South  West   North  East
Pass   1♦      1♥      1♠
Pass   1NT    Double 3♦*
Pass   Pass   Double Pass
?			

* - Invitational
That's a weird problem. 3D invitational seems very odd to me.

Last edited by Steve White; 03-01-2018 at 04:53 PM.. Reason: improve formatting