Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Diversions > Bridge
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Bridge Sub-Forums: Frequency and Severity

Old 04-12-2018, 11:58 AM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's their analysis of the April problem http://files.constantcontact.com/2bd...b06c8c3f8d.pdf

Here's the May problem: http://d4msc.straguzzi.org/ (You could enter for yourself there, by Apr 20)

Code:
IMPs, both vulnerable
S-AKQ985*H-A8743*D—C-Q9

South  West   North  East
                     Pass
1S     Pass   1NT    Pass
2H     Pass   3C     Pass
 ?
I'm leaning toward 3H, thinking that game possibilities are far too good to consider passing, vul at imps. If 3H is forcing, there's no reason to bid more, but is it? If not, 4H and even 4S need to be considered. Even though partner should have at least 6 clubs and probably 7, I'm not going to raise clubs on this round. That means it's unlikely I'll ever show club support.
Old 04-12-2018, 03:14 PM
CAS

I don't think that 3H is forcing. I lean towards 4D, will pass 4S, and convert 4H to 5C. I think that 4H would imply a better heart suit.
Old 04-12-2018, 03:27 PM
SOA AAA

College: University of Wisconsin
Favorite beer: Ale, Lager, you name it

I also lean towards 3H. That bid shows extra values and at least 5-5, but of course you are short of the values for a jump to 3H over 1NT, so that narrows your range, perhaps to something like 16-17. It is not forcing, but partner will often prefer back to 2S with a doubleton, when you'll raise to game. If partner rebids 4C, you have an easy raise to 5C. If partner bids 3NT, you probably should pull to 4C. Only if partner passes 3H, presumably because he is 2=3=2=6 or similar, with a bad hand, might you end up in a suboptimal spot.

Second choice is 3S, which should also show extras, and generally 6=4 in the majors.

I will advocate at this time for how to bid hands that are 6=4 in the majors. I strongly prefer that with a minimum, you rebid spades, and then over 2NT, for example, you show your hearts. Bidding spades - hearts - spades shows extras. This distinction allows partner to know whether to raise, bid 3NT, etc., because he has an idea how strong you are.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:58 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I submitted 3H with reason
Quote:
If partner doesnŽt pass, this call is the most likely to reach the best contract. If partner does pass, we probably have a better spot, but not necessarily the one I would choose myself. I must admit that vul at imps, 4 spades is likely enough to make that perhaps I shouldnŽt risk playing only 3H or missing an even better 4H or 5C or 6C.

Excellent problem, in my opinion, with lots of appeal to answers of 3H, 4H and 4S, while also facing the possibility that clubs could be best.
Any of you could enter on your own through tomorrow. As I composed my answer, I felt 4S was second best. As composing this, I feel 4H is second best. I wonŽt be surprised if 4H wins. IŽll be surprised if 4S wins, even though it will often be the best final contract.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:36 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My 3H choice was worth only 70. 100 went to 4D, with 4S worth 90 and several other choices worth 80, 70 or 60. Panelists chose 7 different actions. Solvers chose 6 of those 7, plus 4 selected by no panelists. Results and analysis here http://files.constantcontact.com/2bd...570afc2ccf.pdf
Old 05-03-2018, 10:48 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The June problem.

Code:
Matchpoints, North-South vul.
J87 9843 AKQ5 Q5
South	West	North	East
Pass     Pass   1♣	1♥
2♦*	 2♥     3♦	Pass
?			
* - 11+ HCP, one-round force

3♥ = stopper-ask, 3♠ = natural and forcing

1A. Do you agree with South's 2♦ bid? If not, what do you prefer?

1B. With the auction as given, what is your call?
If you choose Pass, what do you bid next if the auction continues (3♥)-Pass-(Pass)-?

If you want to enter yourself, go here http://d4msc.straguzzi.org/

Neither 3S nor 3H appeals, beyond keeping the auction alive. The club Q should be a very valuable card. It would really help to know whether partner promised 4 diamonds for that raise, but this is not a support double situation (not in BWS; who knows about District 4 standard?), so I don't think he has promised 4.
Old 05-08-2018, 07:18 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Japanese
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: La Croix Grapefruit

2D seems like a fine bid. Would not advertise a stop with 9843...

I would pass and let them play 3H. You advertised your hcp and P should bid 2NT with a minimum and stop. You have a 4/3 diamond fit and no stop, vul. P is not showing strength. Jump. lol
Old 05-09-2018, 10:28 AM
CAS

Studying for AINS 21 & 22

It looks like a clear pass to me. If partner were a 1st or 2nd seat opener I would double 3H but not in this auction.

Old 05-09-2018, 01:38 PM
SOA AAA

College: University of Wisconsin
Favorite beer: Ale, Lager, you name it

I don't understand why we passed in first seat with a 12-count!
We thus have more than partner has a right to expect. Give him a decent minimum, and we should not sell out to 3H. Rather, we should be thinking about game! With this 11-count, basically the least he can have, and 4D is cold, while the opponents are probably down only 1 in 3H.
Kxx
x
Jxxx
AKxxx

If you give him a stiff heart, I suppose he would raise to 3D on Kxxx, x, Jxx, AKxxx? But even if he is, I still want to be in 4D.
Old 05-09-2018, 04:17 PM
CAS

Studying for AINS 21 & 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers Nerd View Post
I don't understand why we passed in first seat with a 12-count!
Heh, I missed that. I think I might have passed one 12-count hand in the last 5 years and it looked something like

QJx
QJx
QJx
Kxxx