Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Sports
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 07-20-2006, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Raschke
Better players staying longer has made the ACC a better conference.
Why would any player be more likely to stay longer at one (ACC) school longer than another (Big East) school, other than because they are less ready for the NBA? It sounds to me like you're trying to compare different eras. Thru the mid-90's or so, most players stayed in college for at least 3 years. Since then, the top players, regardless of what conference they play in, usually come out whenever they're ready. Some recent ACC players who left after 1 or 2 years...Marvin Williams, Chris Paul, Luol Deng, Chris Bosh, Chris Wilcox. A Big East list for these types of players would consist of Rudy Gay, Charlie Villanueva, 'Melo, Caron Butler...not longer than the ACC list.

Both conferences have also had plenty of very good recent college players who stayed at least 3 years (mostly because they weren't projected as high draft picks until their final year)...Randy Foye, Marcus Williams, Hakim Warrick, Emeka Okafor, Ben Gordon, Mike Sweetney, Troy Bell, Troy Murphy, Rip Hamilton...Reddick, Shelden Williams, Raymond Felton, Sean May, Julius Hodge, Josh Howard, Jay Williams, Mike Dunleavy, Juan Dixon, Shane Battier...those lists appear to be about the same length too.

Again, I'm not sure what your point is.

Last edited by quentin cassidy; 07-20-2006 at 02:42 PM..
Old 07-20-2006, 02:34 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Scotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by quentin cassidy
Why would any player be more likely to stay longer at one (ACC) school longer than another other (Big East) school, other than because they are less ready for the NBA?
easy enough to compare. Just look at athlete graduation rates.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:42 PM
AktŁerler Derneği

Favorite beer: PBR

Point is that the quality of players that stay at programs more than a year or 2 are more reflective of the quality of the program than those who stay one year, unless the program consistently can bring in that type of player.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patience
easy enough to compare. Just look at athlete graduation rates.
I think we're mostly talking about the best players in the league in any given year. Graduation rates include lots of insignificant players, so I'm not sure that's the best thing to measure what we're discussing. Also, unless they've recently fixed their formula for measuring grad rates, the statistic the NCAA uses is also skewed by transfers into/out of each school (someone who transfers out counts against you, but someone who transfer in and graduates doesn't count for you), and it's also fairly out-of-date, since it ignores the most recent graduates, points which Boeheim has brought up many times when Myles Brand has talked about potentially using the grad rate to affect scholarships/postseason eligibility.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:24 PM

USA Basketball began tryouts for next months World Championships last week. I thought Melo might have a 50/50 shot or so at making the 12-man roster (especially since he might be competing with Shane Battier for the last forward spot, and Coach K is the head coach). But it sounds like he's not competing for a roster spot, but possibly for a starting spot...I'm glad to see it.

http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_4084082

Quote:
Las Vegas - Carmelo Anthony has yet to play in an NBA All-Star Game. He was viewed as being on the bubble for one of the 12 spots on Team USA, which plays in the world championships in Japan next month.

But through the first week of practice here, he's being described by USA and Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski as "one of our key guys" and is expected to make the team - in fact, no one was making a bigger impression than the Nuggets' forward.

"Very consistent. Very focused," said Miami guard Dwyane Wade, the 2006 NBA Finals MVP. "He's been the best performer here."

Added USA guard Chauncey Billups: "He's showing that he's definitely one of the best players in the world."

Anthony came to camp in great shape after working on his conditioning daily this summer, most of the time in Denver. But questions lingered about whether he was a team player or if he'd play defense. So far, several coaches and players say Anthony has played unselfishly and as hard as anyone. He's surprised some by showing leadership skills.

Is it safe to say Melo will make the team?

"He's been one of the best players here," Krzyzewski said. "No one has worked any harder than him during these four days. He's been a real pleasure to have. I've watched him during the NBA season. I think he's better. Not because we're making him better. Whatever he's done since the end of the season, he's better.

"I'm not sure that the perception out there is that he is a mature guy. But he really has been a mature professional. In addition to having an upside, he really just graduated from college. He's got to be one of our key guys."

"He's playing defense, rebounding, running the floor," USA assistant and Phoenix Suns coach Mike D'Antoni said. "He seems like he's on a mission."

Cavaliers forward LeBron James described Anthony as "refreshed. It looks like he's been working real hard."

Anthony admits he came to camp feeling he had something to prove.

"I want to make a statement," he said. "It's a new beginning. Two weeks ago, I said this is like a new beginning for me with the USA team and the Nuggets. I really want to take a different approach and show people what I'm all about."
here's the full roster:

http://www.usabasketball.com/seniorm...wc_roster.html

I'm guessing he won't start, mostly because they won't want Wade or LeBron to have to start at point guard, but could be 6th man or so who can sub for multiple positions. I think the final team will look like this:

Starting 5: Bosh, Brand, LeBron, Wade, Paul

Key subs: Melo, Arenas, Marion, D Howard

On roster: Hinrich, Brad Miller, Battier

Cut: Stoudemire (his knee isn't ready), Bowen, Morrison, Ridnour, Joe Johnson, Jamison

Not available: Kobe, Pierce, Billups, Redd, Odom, Oden, Reddick
Old 07-24-2006, 12:27 PM

Favorite beer: Blue Moon

they only did that to make him happy. we all know what happens if he doesn't get playing time.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:53 PM
AktŁerler Derneği

Quote:
Starting 5: Bosh, Brand, LeBron, Wade, Paul

Key subs: Melo, Arenas, Marion, D Howard

On roster: Hinrich, Brad Miller, Battier
Although this team would be an improvement on the last Olympic team, I would give them no better than a 50% chance of winning the World Championships. For starters, most of the important backcourt players don't like to shoot from outside.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Raschke
Although this team would be an improvement on the last Olympic team, I would give them no better than a 50% chance of winning the World Championships. For starters, most of the important backcourt players don't like to shoot from outside.
Paul's not a bad shooter, and he will probably split time with Arenas, who's got excellent range. Also, Wade and LeBron are MUCH better shooters from the outside than they were 2 years ago.

Coach K has said that he wants to take advantage of our superior athleticism this time, which is pretty much in direct contrast with how Larry Brown coached the team in Athens, using his usual philosophy of walking the ball up and down the court, which can work with the right team in the NBA, but is utterly foolish in international play.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:32 PM
AktŁerler Derneği

It is a freakishly athletic team. If they can run successfully, they will be a highlight reel. I fear that the better teams will force them into a halfcourt set and pack the defense in. The way some of those teams shoot the 3, I wouldn't be surprised to see this team get knocked off. I also have some concerns over the number of young guys on the team, some of whom may have interests above the success of the team.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:04 PM

I've now read conflicting reports on Amare Stoudemire, one saying he'd probably be cut because his knee isn't strong enough, and another saying he has looked great. If he is in fact healthy, replacing Battier or Brad Miller with him would give them another freakishly athletic player.

If they can play team defense well enough to force turnovers and rebound the ball, no one will be able to stop their fast break. Having more time to prepare, as well as having D'Antoni (who played and understands international ball), and Boeheim (who's an expert at teaching athletic teams to play an active zone), should help them.