Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Browse Open Actuarial Jobs

Life  Health  Casualty  Pension  Entry Level  All Jobs  Salaries

Old 05-11-2018, 10:53 AM
CAS SOA Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Early and Often
Default Seeking Advice on Pixel 2

I bought the Pixel2XL a few months ago because it was the newest phone out, the camera was supposed to be 'the best', and it didn't come with all the 'bloatware' that Samsung does.

But honestly, I'm a little disappointed. The camera doesn't seem any better than any other smart phone camera I've had. I mean, it's fine, but I'm not really sure i see a difference over the S7.

Maybe it's user error, or I was just kind of ignorant of the way google approaches smart phones (I admit, my research was high level, at best) but the things I don't like are as follows, and was wondering if I'm just missing something you guys can help with:

1. Can't seem to edit photos or videos without downloading [separate] apps.
2. Native music player is google play music which wants me to subscribe to all kinds of shit. i just want to play my music files
3. Native email app is gmail which I hate.
4. Can't hide files and photos. This is my biggest issue. WTF is this about? This archive feature is pointless.
5. How am i supposed to connect this to a PC?
6. Why does this charger have to be different than any other charger i've had in the past 5 years. Is this the future of all chargers (I think it is, right? I still don't like it cuz my PC doesn't have a port that fits this)

I know some of this can be overcome by downloading new apps, and that supposed to be an 'advantage' but apps come with ads, spyware, etc and plus i have to do research on apps before I can play music or edit a photo.

I think the dollar will crash irreparably by 2012.... bottom drops out of the dollar. ....Dollars are worthless, 401ks are bust, the markets are valueless...government assumes control over all industry and everything is nationalized by the end of 2012. - gomer_tree

Last edited by The Drunken Actuary; 05-11-2018 at 11:14 AM..
Old 05-11-2018, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drunken Actuary View Post
I bought the Pixel2XL a few months ago because it was the newest phone out, the camera was supposed to be 'the best', and it didn't come with all the 'bloatware' that Samsung does.

But honestly, I'm a little disappointed. The camera doesn't seem any better than any other smart phone camera I've had. I mean, it's fine, but I'm not really sure i see a difference over the S7.

Maybe it's user error, or I was just kind of ignorant of the way google approaches smart phones (I admit, my research was high level, at best) but the things I don't like are as follows, and was wondering if I'm just missing something you guys can help with:

2. No native music player that I can find.
4. Can't hide files and photos. This is my biggest issue. WTF is this about? This archive feature is pointless.
6. Why does this charger have to be different than any other charger i've had in the past 5 years. Is this the future of all chargers (I think it is, right? I still don't like it cuz my PC doesn't have a port that fits this)

I know some of this can be overcome by downloading new apps, and that supposed to be an 'advantage' but apps come with ads, spyware, etc and plus i have to do research on apps before I can play music or edit a photo.

Are Google Play Music and Photos not pre-installed apps? I don't recall having to install those ones and they are fine basic apps for music and photos. I have no clue about editing videos though, I never do that.

Yes your new charging cable is going to be the industry standard (with the exception of apple products). It enables your phone to charge significantly faster than the cables your older phones were using.

In general the google play store is very safe for apps and you shouldn't need to worry about spyware/viruses. Stick to downloading apps that have a lot of good reviews and it shouldn't be a problem.

I can't say I've ever needed to worry about hiding files on my phone so I can't help you there. Maybe you should just stream instead of downloading

Manipulating women...now THAT's hard. Probably because most woman have no clue what they like.
Old 05-11-2018, 12:20 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:

2. Native music player is google play music which wants me to subscribe to all kinds of shit. i just want to play my music files

As for camera quality being underwhelming: I think we’re getting well past the point where camera quality matters. Unless I were to blow up a photo 5 foot wide to hang on a wall or something, I can hardly tell the difference between a camera photo taken today and a camera photo taken 5 years ago. The difference between now and 10-15 years ago is massive, but we’ve reached diminishing marginal returns in more recent years. Even cameras on low end phones are pretty decent nowadays. For your other questions:

1. I’d imagine there are Google apps preinstalled that can do the basics for you, but you have the option to download other things if you’re looking for more functionality. One person’s core functionality is another person’s bloatware. Any video editing software would be bloatware for me as I’d never use it. Maybe enough people feel that way that Google decided to leave that out of the base model? If you need to do some video editing, do some quick research online and find the best app for your use case. Shouldn’t take more than 10 minutes to find something good and download it via the Google Play store. Anything with a 4+ star review and a million+ downloads will be pretty good. Most apps have a free tier with ads, or an ad-free premium tier that can be unlocked for a small cost. Just watch out for the apps that require a monthly subscription cost unless it’s a service you get a lot of use out of.

2. That makes sense to me. Google wants to push their own services. Should be easy enough to download something else though. When I used to listen to a lot of MP3s, I had an app called “Folder Player” or something similar that offered a super lightweight way to play MP3s on my SD card. Nowadays, I use Spotify for everything.

3. Another situation where Google is trying to push their own services. You can change it if you want (though I’ve grown to love the Gmail app over time).

4. Don’t think I’ve ever tried this. There are apps out there that allow you to browse the phone’s folder structure like you’d browse the folder structure in Windows. Just move your pictures to a folder nobody would think to look in. Name the folder ‘Gross Reserves’ or something.

5. Just plug it in via USB? Isn’t it just a USB C connection? The part that plugs into the phone is different, but the part that plugs into the PC is the same USB shape that people have been using for 15+ years.

6. The new design is USB C, which replaces the older standard. It’s different, but it’s a lot better, and yes, it’s quickly becoming the industry standard for all companies except Apple. You can charge faster, data moves faster, and you don’t have to worry about plugging it in upside down anymore. The phone should support wireless charging too. Your old cables won’t work anymore, but you can buy new ones for $5-10 on Amazon. It’s always good to have a few spares laying around.
Old 05-11-2018, 12:32 PM
CAS

Favorite beer: Stone 11th Anniversary Ale

Instead of the Gmail app, you might try Google Inbox. I like the work flow much better.

As for the new USB-C connector, you can find tons of USB-C to USB-A cables. Look for "Benson approved" cables. Benson is an engineer at Google who buys and tests cables. Some are poorly constructed and can damage your phone. I like the Nekteck ones.

Newer MacBooks and PCs are going to have the USB-C ports built in. As a matter of fact, those ports are pretty amazing because they are two way. Basically, you can charge your laptop from a wall charger or charge your phone from the laptop from the same port. Pretty cool stuff.

Google Music has a section called "My Library that you can use to find your own music. You can actually add your own MP3s to their "storage locker" so they show up on all your devices with Google Music. Very handy for songs that aren't available on the streaming service. Also, a subscription to Google Music also gets you YouTube Red which has little or no ads on YouTube. Worth it, IMO.

Edit: To clarify the poster above, there is no wireless charging on Pixel phones.

Edit2: The main difference between cameras over time is the speed of using it. On my older phones, I used to miss shots all the time because it took 5 seconds for the camera to initialize and a second or two for the shutter to go. With my Pixel 2 XL, I can double click the power button and shot a shot within about a half second.

Last edited by ahow; 05-11-2018 at 12:35 PM..
Old 05-11-2018, 12:49 PM
CAS SOA Non-Actuary

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronus View Post
Are Google Play Music and Photos not pre-installed apps? I don't recall having to install those ones and they are fine basic apps for music and photos. I have no clue about editing videos though, I never do that.
Yes, but you can't edit the photos, can you? The music works OK once I figured out the app, I'll admit.
Quote:
Yes your new charging cable is going to be the industry standard (with the exception of apple products). It enables your phone to charge significantly faster than the cables your older phones were using.
So how do I hook it to a computer to transfer files without buying a new cable?

I see this has been addressed below. Just need a new computer I guess.
Quote:
In general the google play store is very safe for apps and you shouldn't need to worry about spyware/viruses. Stick to downloading apps that have a lot of good reviews and it shouldn't be a problem.
A lot still come with adds though.
Quote:
I can't say I've ever needed to worry about hiding files on my phone so I can't help you there. Maybe you should just stream instead of downloading
Is every picture you ever take something you're OK with everyone potentially seeing?
I think the dollar will crash irreparably by 2012.... bottom drops out of the dollar. ....Dollars are worthless, 401ks are bust, the markets are valueless...government assumes control over all industry and everything is nationalized by the end of 2012. - gomer_tree

Last edited by The Drunken Actuary; 05-11-2018 at 12:57 PM..
Old 05-11-2018, 12:54 PM
CAS SOA Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonactuarialactuary View Post
5. Just plug it in via USB? Isn’t it just a USB C connection? The part that plugs into the phone is different, but the part that plugs into the PC is the same USB shape that people have been using for 15+ years.
Maybe I'm not following but it doesn't look the same to me.

I did by spare wires that have the normal USB connection on one end so that should work for connecting to a PC but why should I have to do this?
Old 05-11-2018, 01:00 PM
CAS

Quote:
I guess I don't know but it doesn't look the same to me.

img]https://www.androidcentral.com/sites/androidcentral.com/files/styles/xlarge/public/article_images/2017/10/18w-wall-charger-pixel-2-press.jpg?itok=dH_3Um5A[/img]
Did it come with a usb-c to micro usb adapter at well(i "think" it should have)? you can use that to convert to micro and attach that to an old usb cable(assuming you have a micro to usb-a cable).

Should look like this:
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaz wit Attitude View Post
Force of habit, 2pac's been typing "88" a LOT since Trump got elected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
You ought to see the bush. It's impressive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikachu
10:53 pm: some ppl dont take advices well
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo fan
9:45 pm: ao fan would be hot covered in mayo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikelfritz
if you'd like I can come visit and dress up like a girl and get in some fights
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaner3339 View Post
i think everyone needs to do this type of thing to get a dose of reality and straighten people up. it's kinda like going to the mountains and becoming a monk except it's with hundreds of potatoes and a lot of stoners with tattoos in a kitchen
Old 05-11-2018, 01:03 PM
CAS

Quote:
I did by spare wires that have the normal USB connection on one end so that should work for connecting to a PC but why should I have to do this?
USB-C is the current and future. Your computer is outdated. NTTAWWT, just how things go.
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaz wit Attitude View Post
Force of habit, 2pac's been typing "88" a LOT since Trump got elected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
You ought to see the bush. It's impressive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikachu
10:53 pm: some ppl dont take advices well
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo fan
9:45 pm: ao fan would be hot covered in mayo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikelfritz
if you'd like I can come visit and dress up like a girl and get in some fights
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaner3339 View Post
i think everyone needs to do this type of thing to get a dose of reality and straighten people up. it's kinda like going to the mountains and becoming a monk except it's with hundreds of potatoes and a lot of stoners with tattoos in a kitchen
Old 05-11-2018, 01:08 PM
SOA

Quote:

Sounds like you're a guy who likes a little bloat in his software. I agree you have to download an app to do most of these things.

I use the Pi Music Player. Ads are minimal and it does the job plus it has "pi" in the name which is vaguely mathy, I like that.

What is meant by 4?

I agree it was a pain to have to re-buy all my chargers that I built up organically over several years where micro-usb was the standard. There are plenty of places like monoprice and amazon where you can get cheap usb-a to usb-c cables for connecting to a computer or your old charging dongles. Yes usb-c is the new standard going forward. Hopefully it catches on because I really like it.

I have the same phone and I think it's the best phone I've ever had, sorry it's not working for you and whatever weight my recommendation bore.
Old 05-11-2018, 01:08 PM
Free Mason

Studying for Let me worry about blank
Favorite beer: Trappistes Rochefort 8

I suspect you need more practice working your telephone machine.