Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Actuarial Jobs by State

New York  New Jersey  Connecticut  Massachusetts 
California  Florida  Texas  Illinois  Colorado

Old 03-16-2019, 04:46 PM
CAS

Default How long after a recruiter sent my resume until I can apply again to the company?

TLDR if a recruiter sends your resume to a company, how long until you can apply to that company on your own or via another recruiter (for a different job posting)?

A while back, a recruiter chatted with me about a position. I said the role sounded interesting, but I probably wouldn't go for it unless the salary was amazing. I didn't want to waste anyone's time by interviewing if the salary wasn't right, and I was happy enough in my job that I would only leave for a very large raise. She told me to send her my resume and she'd see if she could get me ballpark salary information. A few days later she came back and said, unless you apply, we can't tell you what the salary would be, since the company has a very wide range and it is going to depend on the specific candidate.

(This recruiter generally is not the best, but I continued this conversation because the position genuinely was really interesting and if the salary was right I'd consider it.)

I told her (verbally) feel free to send my resume to the company but if you do disclose that I need more information before going through the interview process.

The next day she told me I'd need to formally apply in order for them to give me any salary range. I got annoyed at this point and told her, the position sounds interesting but looks like the timing isn't right, let's not move forward.

I'm not sure whether she ever sent them my resume or not. If she did, does this block me from being able to apply to the company on my own or through another recruiter in the future? For how long? I know recruiters often have agreements with the hiring companies whereby if they hire you within x months of them having sent your resume, they're entitled to their fee.

This was a little over 6 months ago. The company has had some other postings recently, some of which another recruiter has told me about, that I'd consider applying to, but I don't want to shortchange recruiter #2.
Old 03-16-2019, 04:49 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

I don't think there are hard and fast rules on this, basically the answer is long enough so that it doesn't penalize you.

I think 6 months is fine, especially if there hasn't been recent contact between you and the recruiter on that company for some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 03-16-2019, 04:58 PM
Actuarial Outpost Administrator
Contact me: Send me a PM
or email me
tom.troceen@dwsimpson.com
CAS SOA COPA

Location: Sitting in front of a red button w/ your name on it
College: FSU ActSci Alumni
Favorite beer: Root

It depends on the contract between the company and the recruitment firm, but the timeframe is usually 6 months to a year.

With that being said, if you donít want to work through that recruiter, you can establish a relationship with another recruiter or go it alone. I would just let the other recruiter know your intentions so you are not submitted more than once for any role. In some cases, the company will still pay out the fee to the recruiter (or split it with the new recruiter) if itís within their contracted terms of introducing a candidate.

From what youíve described, it sounds like you did not formally give the recruiter permission to submit your resume. If it was a DWS recruiter, and you did not give us permission, we would not have sent in your resume.

Good luck with the job prospect!

Tom
Old 03-16-2019, 05:44 PM
CAS AAA

Studying for years

Is there a reason you don't want to apply without a recruiter?
Taylor originally called his product "Taylor's Prepared Ham", but was forced to change the name after it failed to meet the new legal definition of "ham" established by the Pure Food and Drug Act of 1906.
Old 03-16-2019, 06:07 PM
CAS

Well in this case, it's because a recruiter sent me the position, so I'm not going to go back around and apply to it on my own. This is a different recruiter who I've known for years and have a good relationship with.

But generally I'm not opposed to applying on my own. In fact, although I keep in touch with recruiters, when I've switched jobs in the past I've done it independently without recruiters.
Old 03-17-2019, 12:12 AM
CAS AAA

Studying for years

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobseeker111 View Post
Well in this case, it's because a recruiter sent me the position, so I'm not going to go back around and apply to it on my own. This is a different recruiter who I've known for years and have a good relationship with.

But generally I'm not opposed to applying on my own. In fact, although I keep in touch with recruiters, when I've switched jobs in the past I've done it independently without recruiters.
I see... I have questions about how companies handle this

1) if someone applies on their own but a recruiter still has rights to the candidate, so to speak, does it hurt the candidate's chances? is the company going to have a major problem paying a commission to someone who didn't really help with this particular candidate?
If it's a major problem: no advice
If it's not: maybe leave the 2nd recruiter out of this particular situation, to avoid the conflict that could convince the company it's more trouble than it's worth

Thoughts? Anyone ever run into this on the hiring side?
Taylor originally called his product "Taylor's Prepared Ham", but was forced to change the name after it failed to meet the new legal definition of "ham" established by the Pure Food and Drug Act of 1906.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:35 PM
CAS

pretty sure it would break professional norms to leave recruiter #2 out of this, if he sent you the position
Old 03-18-2019, 09:52 PM
CAS AAA

Studying for years

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobseeker111 View Post
pretty sure it would break professional norms to leave recruiter #2 out of this, if he sent you the position
Jeez, sorry, I need to read more good.