Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Diversions
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Fill in a brief DW Simpson Registration Form
to be contacted when new jobs meet your criteria.

Old 04-26-2019, 09:48 PM
aadeeikklllMMPrSuzzz
CAS

This was my January submission. NYT catching up quickly, I guess.

Quote:
Hi (SSH),

This is Andy Kravis writing on behalf of Will, with apologies for the delay in correspondence. I'm writing in response to your 15x submission. With regrets, we'll have to say no to this one. We thought this was solid work and the revealer got a chuckle out of us, but unfortunately overall the theme didn't quite excite us enough to say yes.

Very sorry for the bad news! We really appreciated seeing this though, and we look forward to seeing more from you!

All best,
AK
Aaaaaaaah!/Academy Of Muses/Age of Shadows/Among The Living/Brigsby Bear/Chained For Life/The Challenge/The Field Guide to Evil/Hacksaw Ridge/Housewife/The Innocents/It/Journeyman/Mohawk/My Happy Family/Nostalgia/The Party/Paul Verhoeven's Tricked/Profile/Puzzle/Share/Silence/State Like Sleep
Old 04-29-2019, 02:11 PM
aadeeikklllMMPrSuzzz
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Silver Haze View Post
REJECTED! by the New York Times. This is for the one I submitted back in December.

Too cerebral! My goodness.

I will likely send this someplace else, per Bro's suggestion.
#5 has now also been REJECTED by the Wall Street Journal. They had essentially the same issue - "this is too tricky for the average solver".

Will give some thought to presenting it in a different (simpler?) way before sending it anywhere else.
Aaaaaaaah!/Academy Of Muses/Age of Shadows/Among The Living/Brigsby Bear/Chained For Life/The Challenge/The Field Guide to Evil/Hacksaw Ridge/Housewife/The Innocents/It/Journeyman/Mohawk/My Happy Family/Nostalgia/The Party/Paul Verhoeven's Tricked/Profile/Puzzle/Share/Silence/State Like Sleep
Old 04-30-2019, 12:59 PM
Non-Actuary

College: School of Life

Keep it up SSH! I’ll tell you, it’s a pretty big thrill when someone accepts your first one. You’ll be all jumping up and down in your underwear in the living room, with the kids and the dog staring at you like they can’t imagine anyone could be so excited over like 25 bucks and a contributor’s copy, yet you can’t imagine a feeling that could be any better than what you’re experiencing right then. Not orgasm, not Michelin 3-star cuisine, not free fall. Nothing beats that first hit of validation, and you’ll keep chasing that high for the rest of your life.

Old 05-05-2019, 06:23 PM
aadeeikklllMMPrSuzzz
CAS

Crossword #7 REJECTED by the L.A. Times. On a Sunday! I guess newspaper employees don't get weekends off.

Quote:
Hi [SSH],

Rich says thanks for this one, but we'll pass. Rich notes that it's a cute idea, but the puns are just too awkward for his taste. Additionally, [specific issue with one of the theme entries deleted]. It adds up to a no, I'm sorry to say.

Sincerely,
Patti
Old 05-28-2019, 10:29 AM
aadeeikklllMMPrSuzzz
CAS

No news, and currently have no new crossword ideas. Might take a break from it for a bit. I'll just throw #5 up here for your amusement.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Crossword #5.pdf (73.7 KB, 12 views)
Old 07-24-2019, 06:56 PM
aadeeikklllMMPrSuzzz
CAS

Well, I had been continuing to take this very long break since the last crossword I submitted in early May, but I still had five crosswords outstanding. Today I heard back from the L.A. Times!

First, they REJECTED crossword #9.

Quote:
Hi [SSH],

Thanks for the chance to review your crossword. Rich notes that the parsing of your reveal word is very clever, but the theme puns are just too silly for his taste. He'll pass, I'm sorry to say.

Sincerely,
Patti
Then they looked at crossword #6, which had been REJECTED earlier this year by the New York Times, and OMG OMG OMG they are not REJECTING it!

Quote:
Hi [SSH],

Thanks for this one. Rich likes your puns, and notes that we haven't done a [description of theme] in a while, so he's willing to revisit the gimmick. However, he feels the reveal is too contrived.

Rich spent some time considering options, and he came up with [alternate suggestion]. He notes that it's usable, but it may involve more grid revision than you are willing to do. Perhaps you can come up with something better; if so, please send Rich a revision query.

If [alternate suggestion] is okay with you, please go ahead with a revised grid. Rich asks that you also replace SPENCES, APPAL, SEPS, and REHN (most of which would likely disappear with a center revision anyway).

When the revision is complete, please send it directly to Rich at [e-mail address], and please put REVISION at the start of your subject line.

Sincerely,
Patti

So I just need to rework it and I'm probably in!

Interesting that on this same crossword, in post #71, the NYT says "the revealer got a chuckle out of us" but the L.A. Times didn't like it.

Last edited by Super Silver Haze; 07-25-2019 at 11:50 AM..
Old 07-24-2019, 11:09 PM
CAS SOA AAA

Studying for Done, bois!
College: UConn
Favorite beer: Barq's or Mug, or any local Root Beer with caffeine

Congrats!

All opinions are either my own, or made up for dramatic and/or comedic effect.

Old 07-25-2019, 11:48 AM
aadeeikklllMMPrSuzzz
CAS

Thanks!
Old 08-03-2019, 10:58 PM

Cool. Congrats. Good luck.
Old 08-03-2019, 11:29 PM

So awesome! Let us know when it comes out.