Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Life
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-19-2018, 06:41 PM
kimjongfun kimjongfun is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 751
Default Haven Life - Gender Identity

Haven life lets you choose the gender you identify with for underwriting purposes.

Will they verify my gender if I buy coverage from them and then I die? Obviously as a male it would likely be better to identify as female in this instance.

Could my gender identity be fluid and is there some sort of threshold in terms of lifestyle to prove my gender? I'm just confused how this works from their perspective.

If I pick female but they know my sex based on my driver's licence and/or social security number then will I actually get higher rates because they see I don't identify with my birth gender and they know transgender people have higher mortality? (I actually haven't researched this, someone correct me if I'm wrong)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-19-2018, 06:46 PM
Marcie's Avatar
Marcie Marcie is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 7,213
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimjongfun View Post
Haven life lets you choose the gender you identify with for underwriting purposes.

Will they verify my gender if I buy coverage from them and then I die? Obviously as a male it would likely be better to identify as female in this instance.

Could my gender identity be fluid and is there some sort of threshold in terms of lifestyle to prove my gender? I'm just confused how this works from their perspective.

If I pick female but they know my sex based on my driver's licence and/or social security number then will I actually get higher rates because they see I don't identify with my birth gender and they know transgender people have higher mortality? (I actually haven't researched this, someone correct me if I'm wrong)
Is SSN encoded with gender now?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-19-2018, 06:47 PM
kimjongfun kimjongfun is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 751
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcie View Post
Is SSN encoded with gender now?
It said it was looking up my birth records during the loading screen... so I assume they were using SSN to do that
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-19-2018, 06:49 PM
A Pimp Named Slickback's Avatar
A Pimp Named Slickback A Pimp Named Slickback is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 181
Default

I googled transgender insurance and Haven Life and MassMutual are two that allow you to pick the gender you identify with. I wonder if they give aggregate rates for those
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-19-2018, 06:51 PM
kimjongfun kimjongfun is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 751
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimjongfun View Post
It said it was looking up my birth records during the loading screen... so I assume they were using SSN to do that
Actually I'm not sure on this, I can't figure how to get back to the loading screen phase but I think it remember saying this. It also somehow checked my prescription history
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-19-2018, 06:52 PM
kimjongfun kimjongfun is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 751
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pimp Named Slickback View Post
I googled transgender insurance and Haven Life and MassMutual are two that allow you to pick the gender you identify with. I wonder if they give aggregate rates for those
but if they did that they'd end up with all males right? Life insurance is typically much more expensive for males versus females
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-19-2018, 07:33 PM
wat?'s Avatar
wat? wat? is offline
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hi
Studying for beer
Favorite beer: Fresh Squeezed IPA
Posts: 33,037
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimjongfun View Post
but if they did that they'd end up with all males right? Life insurance is typically much more expensive for males versus females
Depends how they defined their aggregate rates (and mortality).
__________________
"Mathematical Induction: How mathematicians manage to suck all the fun out of lining up a row of dominos, knocking the one on the end down, and watching the entire row fall." -BC
Skip it. - AG

AO Golfers Unite! Here and here.
Chase Sapphire Reserve Referral? clicky
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-19-2018, 07:37 PM
JMO's Avatar
JMO JMO is offline
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Back home again in Indiana
Studying for Nothing actuarial.
Posts: 37,086
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimjongfun View Post
but if they did that they'd end up with all males right? Life insurance is typically much more expensive for males versus females
Maybe they are using the rates filed in Montana.
__________________
Carol Marler, "Just My Opinion"

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.


My latest favorite quotes, updated Apr 5, 2018.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
All purpose response for careers forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
Depends upon the employer and the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
I feel like ERM is 90% buzzwords, and that the underlying agenda is to make sure at least one of your Corporate Officers is not dumb.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.18474 seconds with 9 queries