Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics > TV Shows, Movies, Books, etc
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 10-17-2011, 12:01 PM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Homebrew

Took out the spoilers.

You liked the zombies in the church? I did't get them. Why were they just sitting there? Shouldn't they have been walking around? trying to get out to eat?

Zombie killing greater than average? I'm confused by that comment. I only counted like 8, there is no way that is higher than an average for this show. However, it was bloodier than most of the other episodes. Cutting open a zombie, beating the brains out of 2 with a rock, and the chopping on the 3 in the church.

Let me back up to the beginning of the episode.

1) the dude is on a motorcycle, why the hell wasn't he scouting ahead to begin with and told the mobile home that there was no way through before it started into the huge pack of cars?

2) Where the hell did that pack of zombies come from? It didn't seem like the group was stopped that long before they showed up.

3) When he wanted to get the zombies split up from the girl, they immediately did that by one going into the creek and the other one staying up on the land. Why the heck didn't he grab a rock right then and take care of them? I also didn't understand why he wouldn't have a hand-to-hand weapon on him all the time for silent killing. I'd keep a hand axe on my waste pretty much 24/7.

4) Back to the Church Zombies. They had sharp objects that looked like they cracked skulls pretty easy, what was up with the excessive swings?

I think that's it for now.

Last edited by tometom; 10-17-2011 at 12:49 PM.. Reason: took out spoilers
Old 10-17-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano View Post
here's a question...

Spoiler:
How did the church bells work? how did they still have power?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReserveRage View Post
Probably battery operated.
Do we know how long it has been since "the crunch"?
Old 10-17-2011, 12:21 PM
A.O.A.W.
CAS

Spoiler:
About the Church zombies:

I wasn't sure what to make of that, either, though I thought it was cool. Did the zombies go to the church out of habit (indicating that they retain some of their memories - that would be a cool plot device if used correctly)? Or did they die in the church and never decided to leave until food walked in (that's not so cool/believable)? They seemed to be wearing church clothes. The one lady had some kind of veil? Did they go to the church seeking refuge before they zombified?

Still, pretty cool first ep. One of my favorite shows right now.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:25 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel-o-rama View Post
Spoiler:
About the Church zombies:

I wasn't sure what to make of that, either, though I thought it was cool. Did the zombies go to the church out of habit (indicating that they retain some of their memories - that would be a cool plot device if used correctly)? Or did they die in the church and never decided to leave until food walked in (that's not so cool/believable)? They seemed to be wearing church clothes. The one lady had some kind of veil? Did they go to the church seeking refuge before they zombified?

Still, pretty cool first ep. One of my favorite shows right now.
Spoiler:
I never read the comics and I honestly thought there would be something more to the church zombies. Like a "these zombies realize something about their zombiehood" or something. I thought maybe they wouldn't attack the people and it would be like a 'hmmm' moment. Was disappointed.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:34 PM
CAS AAA

I'm following the general rule of not spoilering an episode that already aired. I thought we generally agreed this was OK, but if it's bothering people, please let me know.

If it's following the comics, there are a few classifications of zombie behavior. I believe all of them have been highlighted in the tv series so far. Some zombies are known as "Lurkers" and are too lazy to get up and go searching for food. These zombies will generally stay very close to the vicinity where they expired, e.g. the church in episode 1.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:46 PM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Homebrew

I'm fine with not spoilering. I couldn't remember the proper etiquette.

I just know that I tend to watch this episode on DVR, but just happened to find time last night. But I guess I avoid the thread if I don't watch it. So, yea let's take out spoilers. I'm too lazy to go back and undo it, so you'll just have to live with it. Changed my mind, I'm not too lazy to undo it.

As far as Church zombies, I definitely think they went there thinking maybe praying would drive away their problem. I have no problem with them being there, I just found it strange that they were sitting and not standing, walking around like most of them do.

Last edited by tometom; 10-17-2011 at 12:49 PM..
Old 10-17-2011, 01:00 PM

I also wondered where the herd came from. It was going the same direction as they were, right. They should have passed them. Maybe the pack was walking through the woods, and when they came to the interstate they took that since it .was easier going.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Yeah, a lot more zombie killing than average. I'm guessing it's to try to rope in new viewers who may not have seen season 1 and were expecting a lot of gore/action. I had my fists clenched the entire time during that "herd scene" - that part was awesome.

The show continues to diverge from the comics, which is a good thing IMO. This entire episode wasn't in the books.
The very ending was in the books, but yeah, otherwise, completely new.
Michael: And a DNA test.
GOB: I hear the jury's still out on science.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:12 PM

I still intend to watch this show primarily from a "this is what I think the characters should do to survive/thrive" perspective.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:23 PM
A.O.A.W.
CAS

Quote:
The show continues to diverge from the comics, which is a good thing IMO. This entire episode wasn't in the books.
Funny - when that trio went walking into the woods at the end, I wondered if they were going to recreate the scene that ends the first volume of the comics, but I wasn't sure how they would work it in. (Haven't read past the 1st volume.)

Entirely something else happened. Dang!

Tags
jumped the shark, myotherwifeisazombie, token, zilf