Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics > TV Shows, Movies, Books, etc
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson Global Actuarial & Analytics Recruitment
Download our Actuarial Salary Survey
now with state-by-state salary information!

Old 10-17-2011, 02:23 PM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Homebrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormLetter View Post
I still intend to watch this show primarily from a "this is what I think the characters should do to survive/thrive" perspective.
I think about that every time I watch this show.

Stuff that came up in the last episode:

1)I'm very confused at their loyalty to that stupid mobile home/camper. I understand it's probably comfy for sleeping and stuff, but I'd think you'd come across a nicer one at some point in time.

2) The chick locks herself in the bathroom and is fumbling with a gun, trying to put it back together. Just lock the door and be quite. Also, how could you not know how the door opens? just put your foot right on the crack. It would have stayed closed no matter how hard the zombie pushed.

I mentioned some others in my previous post. I could also go on all day, but I have work to do.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:38 PM
CAS AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Oscar Bluth View Post
The very ending was in the books, but yeah, otherwise, completely new.
Ah yes, I totally forgot about that. Then that probably means the old man they showed in the previews is likely:

Spoiler:
Hershall, so the survivors may likely stay at his farm for awhile which will bring in a lot of new characters.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:41 PM
CAS AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by tometom View Post

1)I'm very confused at their loyalty to that stupid mobile home/camper. I understand it's probably comfy for sleeping and stuff, but I'd think you'd come across a nicer one at some point in time.
Doesn't it get pretty cold at night in Georgia especially in Fall/Winter? I remember them specifically addressing the need for a large shelter for the group in the books. It's possible they'd find another one, but that's a pretty big gamble, especially to find one that's in running condition and/or not severely vandalized. Also, the camper provides much more protection at night and an emergency get-away if they were attacked. If everyone was out in tents, they'd just have another repeat of what happened outside Atlanta in the rock quarry.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:48 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: KCCO Gold Lager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReserveRage View Post
Doesn't it get pretty cold at night in Georgia especially in Fall/Winter? I remember them specifically addressing the need for a large shelter for the group in the books. It's possible they'd find another one, but that's a pretty big gamble, especially to find one that's in running condition and/or not severely vandalized. Also, the camper provides much more protection at night and an emergency get-away if they were attacked. If everyone was out in tents, they'd just have another repeat of what happened outside Atlanta in the rock quarry.
They're outside of Atlanta in season 1...I have to imagine there is some sort of Winnebago dealer around there as it's a major city. Go get a new one...

Also, while I assume most gun/ammo shops were probably raided long ago, it seems to me like you would be able to find more crossbows/silent kill weapons around...since most people would have gone for the guns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawl316 View Post
I like playing with myself
Old 10-17-2011, 03:04 PM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Homebrew

another thing, what about silencers for guns? I don't know if it actually works, but in movies they show people shooting through empty soda bottles. I'd develop something like that for those instances in the woods. Obviously it might not be the best when really close to a huge pack, but once that pack is a mile away, some sort of home made silencer that is 90% effective should do the trick.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel-o-rama View Post
Funny - when that trio went walking into the woods at the end, I wondered if they were going to recreate the scene that ends the first volume of the comics, but I wasn't sure how they would work it in. (Haven't read past the 1st volume.)

Entirely something else happened. Dang!
I was hopeful for this as well... too many main characters haven't been killed off yet.
Michael: And a DNA test.
GOB: I hear the jury's still out on science.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:09 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: KCCO Gold Lager

Quote:
another thing, what about silencers for guns? I don't know if it actually works, but in movies they show people shooting through empty soda bottles. I'd develop something like that for those instances in the woods. Obviously it might not be the best when really close to a huge pack, but once that pack is a mile away, some sort of home made silencer that is 90% effective should do the trick.
Agreed. Even still, if gun shops had been raided, I doubt people took the silencers. Find an ammo store and pick some up if you can't manage to make your own

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawl316 View Post
I like playing with myself
Old 10-17-2011, 04:19 PM
CAS AAA

How common is it to find silencers at any local gun shop? I just watched "The American" with George Clooney. Pretty boring movie, but it did do a good job to seemingly accurately depict the painstaking detail that goes into high performance guns and their accessories. Clooney spends a ton of time and effort making a rifle with silencer that's reliable and it certainly didn't look like as easy running the barrel through a soda bottle.

Last edited by ReserveRage; 10-17-2011 at 04:24 PM..
Old 10-17-2011, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel-o-rama View Post
Just a few more days!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReserveRage View Post
How common is it to find silencers at any local gun shop? I just watched "The American" with George Clooney. Pretty boring movie, but it did do a good job to seemingly accurately depict the painstaking detail that goes into high performance guns and their accessories. Clooney spends a ton of time and effort making a rifle with silencer that's reliable and it certainly didn't look like as easy running the barrel through a soda bottle.
I have never seen a suppressor for sale. Pretty sure in most locals it requires special permit. Wouldn't be tough to make a rudimentary one . Basically close fitting series of baffles for the gas to expand into.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Suppressors (silencers) typically require a threaded barrel to attach reliably to the firearm. Most firearms don't have a threaded barrel. Some are manufactured now that don't require threaded barrels, but they're usually caliber-specific and still aren't anywhere close to universal.

Not to mention, they don't actually silence the gun, which is why purists don't call them silencers. They suppress the sound, making it quieter. It doesn't turn your AK-47 into something that sounds like an SBD fart.

Tags
jumped the shark, myotherwifeisazombie, token, zilf