Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics > TV Shows, Movies, Books, etc
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe

Old 11-29-2011, 11:12 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rookie View Post
Would Rick have found Sophie in the barn had they been allowed to corral the 2 walkers? Did Herschel invite Rick partially because he knew there was a girl in the barn that Rick would see? I'm not sure if Otis would have told Herschel about storing a girl.
I'd expect that Otis would tell Herschel every time he put another in the barn, probably telling Herschel who each were. And considering that unlike all the others in the barn he wouldn't have recognized Sophia, she'd be one that stands out as one to tell Herschel about.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:15 AM

Studying for 2/FM
Favorite beer: Guinness

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rookie View Post
Would Rick have found Sophie in the barn had they been allowed to corral the 2 walkers? Did Herschel invite Rick partially because he knew there was a girl in the barn that Rick would see? I'm not sure if Otis would have told Herschel about storing a girl.
I agree that this was very important. I also liked the makeup job on Sophie.

Enjoyable episode
I think Herschel changed his mind towards Rick because of Maggie bitching him out and saying that Glen saved her life from the walker in store. At that point she even started to refer to them as "walkers".
Old 11-29-2011, 11:22 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormLetter View Post
There was no reason to let the zombies out of the barn. If anything, strengthen the doors and locks to decrease the chance of a breakout, but it seemed unlikely unless you taunt them. They just mill around unless there is something prompting them to apply force in a particular direction.

The bad part to me was wasting chickens on feeding the zombies. I don't see the point. It isn't like two chickens is enough for the 15-20 zombies they had in there. Though who is to say what is "enough"? Ask the FDA for a zombie food pyramid.

I'm surprised there is no dog on the farm.
I partially agree. Keeping them in the barn would sure be a good way to study/observe the walkers habits, needs, etc. But keeping them around also presents a constant source of risk.

And at some point you'd have to quit putting new ones in the barn. They'd have needed a new plan in short order. This massacre just sped up that realization process... and allowed the heart-wrenching discovery of zombie-Sophia.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:43 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalapeno29 View Post
How could he miss? He was like 3 feet away. Maybe she is moving, which would cause Shane or soemone else to shoot her again in the beginning of the next episode
he could miss if he lost his grit when it came right down to it, just drop the barrel a little and hit her in the chest.

hey, i want to see her brains blown out just as much as the next buy, but something just doesn't seem quite right
Old 11-29-2011, 11:46 AM

There was a brief preview of later this season on Hell on Wheels and Shame was badgering Hershel about why he didn't tell them abt Sophia and Hershel said Otis must have put her in there and didnt tell him. Oh yeah and Maggie slaps Shame at the end of the clip. Not much else happened bit I'm sure the network anticipated the question abt why the farmers didn't tell Rick & crew abt a little girl
Michael: And a DNA test.
GOB: I hear the jury's still out on science.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:02 PM
A.O.A.W.
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronus View Post
rofl!!!
Old 11-29-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronus View Post
no muscle, fat, skin?
Old 11-29-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
I'd expect that Otis would tell Herschel every time he put another in the barn, probably telling Herschel who each were. And considering that unlike all the others in the barn he wouldn't have recognized Sophia, she'd be one that stands out as one to tell Herschel about.
I agree, but think it is possible Otis put Sophia in there shortly before shooting the deer/Carl. I think any of the zombie feeders could have seen there was a girl in the barn.

It would have been impossible for the show to move on without closure regarding Sophia.

I thought the last person in the barn might be Herschel's wife. And Herschel would get up to perform the headshot.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:44 PM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Homebrew

But here's the problem. How the heck was Otis putting them in the barn by himself? Someone had to have helped him by distracting the zombies in there and making them come to the back of the Barn. So, someone else would have known about Sophia.

That's why I kinda liked the barn scene in the comic books better because the zombie walked onto the farm and Herschel's group tried herding it into the barn. I think in the book, someone even says, "We know what we are doing, we've done it before."

But now there are all these questions, which I guess is what you go for in a show to keep people watching.

Question - I saw someone mention "The Talking Dead" show. Is it any good? I've avoided it, just because I don't have time to watch it, but have been curious if they ever say anything interesting.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:06 PM
CAS AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by tometom View Post
Question - I saw someone mention "The Talking Dead" show. Is it any good? I've avoided it, just because I don't have time to watch it, but have been curious if they ever say anything interesting.
I've only seen last week's episode. It actually wasn't very good overall. I found the host really annoying (he kept talking about getting "nerd boners" - once because Alice Cooper called up on the hotline to ask a question which was just bizarre). I just happened to be doing work on my laptop and had the TV on in the background. They did have Robert Kirkland and the FX makeup guy on as guests. The makeup guy started to spoil some info about Sophia and Kirkland told him to shush. I think he was probably telling us what Hershel tells Rick in the next episode, about not knowing she was in the barn and the reason why (Otis).

Tags
jumped the shark, myotherwifeisazombie, token, zilf