Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics > TV Shows, Movies, Books, etc
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

Old 11-20-2012, 01:01 AM
CAS AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormLetter View Post
Glenn should have shot Merle as he approached. Step one: Demand he stop advancing, hands in the air, and turn around and kneel on the ground. Be willing to shoot if he doesn't comply. It would be tough to have such high-stress contingency plans drilled into your head though.
Agree. Much easier said than done. I wonder how quickly one would turn to the dark side during a zombie apocalypse, and by dark side, I mean being able to kill another living human without blinking, like Merle did to "Neal" and the Governor and his goons did to those soldiers. Rick seems to have no problem, as he stated he's killed several already, always out of self defense although never with hesitation, but he was a cop and used to violence, trained to shot his gun. Taking the life from even an animal can be hard if you're not used to it. I don't blame Glenn, although I wonder if killing Walkers for months will turn you into a cold blooded killer in itself. No way to know for sure.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:06 AM
CAS AAA

Anecdote about killing.

I was with a good friend once and we were driving at night and he hit some stupid little woodchuck/raccoon type creature. We stopped the car and got out to check on the animal and it was clearly messed up. It was bleeding profusely and couldn't move at all. So my friend decided to put it out of its misery. He made the decision to take a modest stick and bludgeon the creature to death. The stick was probably too light and small as he smashed the creature's skull like 20 times before it finally seemed to go down for good.

He said it was one of the most disturbing things he's done in his life and it freaked him out for a long time. As I watched, I felt the same way, as the brutality and savageness of the act just felt gross. How quickly would we lose this part of ourselves during the Zombie Apoc? I would guess this would go away in a matter of weeks, maybe months. Maybe Rick cracking isn't so unrealistic after all.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShark View Post
I think Merle is a tough guy. Even if Glenn shot him, he would somehow be alive "long" enough to shoot both him and Maggie before dying.

Unless of course Glenn shot him in the head.
There were 2 against 1. They should fan out some to see what is behind Merle and also to flank him in the event action happens.

Of course if Merle isn't alone you can get re-flanked.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:58 AM
SOA

Phone call being in Rick's mind is highly annoying. I hate that sort of plot element. It just comes off as a lazy way to do something interesting without impacting the actual story that's been established.

Michonne just watching Merle and Glenn/Maggie's convo instead of flanking Merle and chopping off his head was dumb too
Old 11-20-2012, 09:33 AM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: the one you're buying me

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShark View Post
Unless of course Glenn shot him in the head.
Twice. You don't want him to turn.

Last edited by BG5150; 11-20-2012 at 10:56 AM..
Old 11-20-2012, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlschop View Post
Phone call being in Rick's mind is highly annoying. I hate that sort of plot element. It just comes off as a lazy way to do something interesting without impacting the actual story that's been established.

Michonne just watching Merle and Glenn/Maggie's convo instead of flanking Merle and chopping off his head was dumb too
Phone call was all wrapped up in the course of 2 episodes, I didn't find it annoying.

As for Michonne flanking Merle with a limp, that's just absurd. As if Glenn wouldn't see her coming up behind Merle and react somehow, tipping off Merle that someone's coming.
Michael: And a DNA test.
GOB: I hear the jury's still out on science.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:55 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Oscar Bluth View Post
Phone call was all wrapped up in the course of 2 episodes, I didn't find it annoying.

As for Michonne flanking Merle with a limp, that's just absurd. As if Glenn wouldn't see her coming up behind Merle and react somehow, tipping off Merle that someone's coming.
And - as if Merle wouldn't see her when she moved from behind the car.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:04 AM
SOA

Quote:
Glenn should have shot Merle as he approached. Step one: Demand he stop advancing, hands in the air, and turn around and kneel on the ground. Be willing to shoot if he doesn't comply. It would be tough to have such high-stress contingency plans drilled into your head though.
And shooting a human is different than killing a zombie.

And while they could probably get away quickly in the car, they know that shooting a gun will draw the attention of any zombies that happen to be nearby.

And that is Daryl's brother. Imagine them going up to Daryl afterwards: Hey man, guess who we ran into? Yeah, your brother who we sorta made cut off his hand a few months ago. This time we shot him and left him for zombie bait.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:08 AM
SOA

Quote:
Thinking of that scene, did Merle drop (before he started walking closer to Glenn and Maggie) and leave behind a gun? It can't be good to waste resources like that.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlschop View Post

Why was Michonne's inaction dumb? She doesn't know Glenn and Maggie. They could be worse than Merle for all she knows.

The smooching and basket of baby formula might be a little disarming, but I wouldn't let it be. Baby formula indicates there is a child in their sphere, and we all know you don't get between a momma bear and her cubs.

(but you want to be nearby so you can see them wrestling!!!!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOdSvMvvyY8

Tags
jumped the shark, myotherwifeisazombie, token, zilf