Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics > TV Shows, Movies, Books, etc
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 11-27-2012, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe Actuary View Post
I think Andrea sides with Woodbury...she feels abandoned by the group

i feel like they've been setting this up since last season when she was siding more with shane
Michael: And a DNA test.
GOB: I hear the jury's still out on science.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:47 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormLetter View Post
I'm not sure why that hermit scene had to be in there. Fitting the title doesn't cut it to me, because the writers chose the title too, not just the scene.

So the group sent 5 people to the town to retrieve Glenn and Maggie - slim chances in my opinion. Of course the TV factor will prevail some here. It is 5, right? Daryl, Rick, Oscar, Michonne...the other convict, right? Can't remember his name.
I think Axel volunteered to go, but stayed behind. I'm pretty sure he was the one who closed the gate after the car drove off.

As for putting a scene in the ep to justify the ep's name, that sounds absurd/backward to me. Write the ep, then name it seems like the proper/normal order of events. I'm pretty sure I've seen somewhere that the titular 'walking dead' are actually the survivors, not the zombies. The dead knocking seems like Michonne showing up at the prison's gate - and maybe even Rick's group getting to Woodbury - to me.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:54 AM
SOA

The Gov told someone to gather a small team to check out the prison and report back. Was that on an immediate timeframe so that some of Woodbury's fighters will have left before Rick & Co strike? Woodbury's already down 3 fighters from chasing Michonne. If a few more are away then the numbers may not require as much tv magic as otherwise.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:01 AM
SOA

Favorite beer: KCCO Gold Lager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
I think Axel volunteered to go, but stayed behind. I'm pretty sure he was the one who closed the gate after the car drove off.

As for putting a scene in the ep to justify the ep's name, that sounds absurd/backward to me. Write the ep, then name it seems like the proper/normal order of events. I'm pretty sure I've seen somewhere that the titular 'walking dead' are actually the survivors, not the zombies. The dead knocking seems like Michonne showing up at the prison's gate - and maybe even Rick's group getting to Woodbury - to me.
Correct on axel not going.

I like the interpretation of walking dead being the survivors...it's similar to "dead man walking"...seems much more meaningful this way

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawl316 View Post
I like playing with myself
Old 11-27-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
The Gov told someone to gather a small team to check out the prison and report back. Was that on an immediate timeframe so that some of Woodbury's fighters will have left before Rick & Co strike? Woodbury's already down 3 fighters from chasing Michonne. If a few more are away then the numbers may not require as much tv magic as otherwise.
I agree that it's not unrealistic for Rick's group to be successful. Woodbury should not be on alert at all, since in their minds how could the prison group know about Woodbury in such a short period of time?
Old 11-27-2012, 11:08 AM
SOA

Not everyone in Woodbury are fighters, and it seems like fewer know that the Gov is a bad guy. What happens when Rick's group comes across an innocent Woodburian? Do they kill at first sight? It's not like they'll know who's a true threat and who isn't.

Also, Oscar hasn't gone through much - with the group or in the way of killing for survival - yet. He certainly wasn't excited about throwing the dead hermit to the zombies. I'm hoping indecision doesn't doom him.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:15 AM

This could be when Oscar transforms from a boy to a man.

But remember his line back when Rick had just killed the bad bad bad convict and then Oscar was on his knees, and Rick had a gun pointed at him? It was some cold line about how he wasn't going to start begging for his life now. He may not require all that much growing up. He was in prison after all which isn't Wisteria Lane.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rookie View Post
I agree that it's not unrealistic for Rick's group to be successful. Woodbury should not be on alert at all, since in their minds how could the prison group know about Woodbury in such a short period of time?
Right. This is why I think Rick's group needs to scope out the place so they can take maximum advantage of the element of surprise.

Also consider the surprise the Governor will have when he learns that Michonne is alive, contradicting what Merle told him about her being dead.

Quote:
Not everyone in Woodbury are fighters, and it seems like fewer know that the Gov is a bad guy. What happens when Rick's group comes across an innocent Woodburian? Do they kill at first sight? It's not like they'll know who's a true threat and who isn't.

Also, Oscar hasn't gone through much - with the group or in the way of killing for survival - yet. He certainly wasn't excited about throwing the dead hermit to the zombies. I'm hoping indecision doesn't doom him.
If Rick's group kills an innocent Woodburian, that would be exactly the event Governor needs to get all the Woodburians willing to kill every last one of Rick's group - current thugs and non-thugs alike.

But I bet the innocent Woodburians will generally stay away from any conflict. Governor has his posse of thugs that will be expected to handle a situation like this.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:23 AM

I was questioning the wisdom of Woodbury keeping that spotlight running up on the wall. Wouldn't that basically attract walkers/biters all the time? It is bright and it moves.

Also I think we've thus far only seen one of Woodbury's borders, and it is somewhat heavily guarded with three people on top of the wall.

If you are in charge of Rick's group, what do you do to get Glenn and Maggie back? My first thought was that they should simultaneously take out all the people on top of the wall, scale it, and then open the gate, using the flashbangs to draw zombies inside the town. But the problem with that is as soon as the Governor/Merle knows they are being assaulted in any way, they'll fetch Glenn and Maggie to use as bait or leverage.

Rick's group [should have] some inside knowledge of Woodbury's layout via Michonne, and she also knows they keep a bunch of zombies locked up inside, which could be unleashed to create extra chaos.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:37 AM

Favorite beer: Kupo Nut Pale Ale

loved the episode except for the cabin scene, as mentioned. it seemed to me like it might be some sort of homage to the comic; usually outrageous scenes/events that appear completely out of place originated as a major scene in the comic with much greater context. it seems like that is not the case.
where's that confounded bridge

Tags
jumped the shark, myotherwifeisazombie, token, zilf