Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson
Actuarial Jobs

Visit our site for the most up to date jobs for actuaries.

Actuarial Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Health, Life, Pension and Non-Tradtional Jobs.

Actuarial Meeting Schedule
Browse this year's meetings and which recruiters will attend.

Contact DW Simpson
Have a question?
Let's talk.
You'll be glad you did.

Old 08-01-2019, 05:00 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by trxlr View Post
I'm considering buying a Switch just to play all of the Final Fantasy titles on the go. Can anyone confirm you can play them without WiFi, like if you're on a flight? Also I would hate if I purchased a Switch and then the newer model came out a couple months later.
No, it doesn't require wifi, except for online multiplayer. It would be pretty silly if the switch, whose perk is being mobile, required being online in order to play games (It was stupid when microsoft decided to do that for the xbox one).
Old 08-01-2019, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancran1220 View Post
Yeah, I mean he has already made millions and I'm the sure contract is huge like you are saying (although that is the first I've heard of streamers getting million+ signings for changing platforms). Mixer is more of a console streaming platform right? I'm sure you can watch on PC or other devices too, that is just my naive impression.

Definitely an interesting move, but I don't think it really shakes things up all the much. Twitch is still a giant and I struggle to see that changing any time soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post
It sounds like MS has him as a spokesperson for Mixer in general not just a streamer. I think ninja is concerned about career post-stream as well, and this may be the transition step.
tiny sample size and I'm way out of the loop, but out of curiosity I recently asked a friend's 13yr old kid and his friend which streamers they watch on Twitch. they both said they don't watch Twitch, but instead watch Mixer and YouTube gamers. that caught me off-guard since I figured all kids that age watched Twitch
Old 08-01-2019, 05:27 PM
It's a funny name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaliere View Post
No, it doesn't require wifi, except for online multiplayer. It would be pretty silly if the switch, whose perk is being mobile, required being online in order to play games (It was stupid when microsoft decided to do that for the xbox one).
the NES online library (I think that's what he's asking about) requires occasional validation that you have online access. I've played it on a plane before, and I've also had it not work on a plane because it had been a while since I played it while connected to wifi.
Old 08-02-2019, 10:36 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for FSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancran1220 View Post
Yeah, I mean he has already made millions and I'm the sure contract is huge like you are saying (although that is the first I've heard of streamers getting million+ signings for changing platforms). Mixer is more of a console streaming platform right? I'm sure you can watch on PC or other devices too, that is just my naive impression.

Definitely an interesting move, but I don't think it really shakes things up all the much. Twitch is still a giant and I struggle to see that changing any time soon.
I haven't heard any rumors regarding payouts for changing platforms but when Apex came out rumors were flowing that some streamers got 7 figure payouts to play it for a couple of weeks. It's a pretty effective way to spend your marketing budget.

Also this is my impression of ninja:
- "i'm going to focus less on streaming and focus more on playing so I can make it to the fortnite cup next year"

1 day later

- "i'm leaving twitch so I can stream on Mixer"
Old 08-02-2019, 10:54 AM
SOA

Studying for DP

who likes TFT
Old 08-02-2019, 11:48 AM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turd Ferguson View Post
the NES online library (I think that's what he's asking about) requires occasional validation that you have online access. I've played it on a plane before, and I've also had it not work on a plane because it had been a while since I played it while connected to wifi.
I downloaded Mario Run on my phone specifically to play on an airplane where I canít browse the internet. The game doesnít work without an online connection. Super annoying.
Old 08-02-2019, 02:07 PM
CAS SOA AAA

Studying for Done, bois!
College: UConn
Favorite beer: Barq's or Mug, or any local Root Beer with caffeine

I wrote an article about video games -- what is best way to post it here? I can do word or pdf

All opinions are either my own, or made up for dramatic and/or comedic effect.

Old 08-04-2019, 11:01 AM
CAS

Studying for Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arroway View Post
I wrote an article about video games -- what is best way to post it here? I can do word or pdf
upload somewhere and drop a link in your signature lol

ACAS 7 8 9
Old 08-05-2019, 03:29 PM
CAS SOA AAA

Studying for Done, bois!
College: UConn
Favorite beer: Barq's or Mug, or any local Root Beer with caffeine

Ok, so here's the article I mentioned. Just trying to tie a bunch of video game "lessons" back to strategy and leadership. Why? Because I could.

Audience is more execs and business leaders, so I cut a lot of the video game component back.

What video games can teach us about strategy and leadership

EDIT -- also attached directly, as I just noticed pdfs are acceptable attachments
Attached Images
File Type: pdf leadership lessons.pdf (440.7 KB, 21 views)

All opinions are either my own, or made up for dramatic and/or comedic effect.

Old 08-05-2019, 03:39 PM
SOA

Studying for LTAM
Favorite beer: Two-Hearted Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoaminoneofyourbusiness View Post
who likes TFT
I've enjoyed it, but I think I'd rather play Summoner's Rift. Not very good at either, though Also add me at MDK Sendran for all you League players out there.

Tags
atari, data science, gaming pc, predictive analytics, ps3, ps4, real analysis = real men, switch, vita, wii, wii u, xbox 360, xbox one