Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 08-21-2019, 05:38 PM
CAS

Studying for Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wizard of Awe View Post
I've only played 1 & 2. Have you seen the 15ish minute speed run of DQ1 from AGDQ or SGDQ (I can't remember which)? It's crazy.
No, I haven't but this is unheard of. I probably need 15 hours to finish the game lol

ACAS 7 8 9
Old 08-21-2019, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblade View Post
No, I haven't but this is unheard of. I probably need 15 hours to finish the game lol
Its a speedrun that utilizes a lot of RNG manipulation to make sure the runner always gets perfect outcomes. It's actually really cool, I remember seeing it on Youtube a while back.
Old 08-21-2019, 06:18 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Nothing ever again!
Favorite beer: Bourbon

I don't really get the appeal of speed runs.

I had some friends visiting last week, and they brought their teenage sons. one of them spent the week exploring games I've got that they don't (they've got an X-Box, so he played Horizon Zero Dawn and Detroit: Become Human, among a few others). The other, however, spent his turns doing speed-runs through games he had already played to death - Dark Souls 2, Bloodbourne, and Dishonored.

That just didn't seem like much fun to me.
Old 08-21-2019, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena Lake View Post
I don't really get the appeal of speed runs.

I had some friends visiting last week, and they brought their teenage sons. one of them spent the week exploring games I've got that they don't (they've got an X-Box, so he played Horizon Zero Dawn and Detroit: Become Human, among a few others). The other, however, spent his turns doing speed-runs through games he had already played to death - Dark Souls 2, Bloodbourne, and Dishonored.

That just didn't seem like much fun to me.
I don't see the appeal of trying it myself but some of them are really cool to watch. I think the people that are doing the speed runs have to be a little crazy but that still doesn't mean it's not cool to see when they succeed.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:30 PM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Hefewizen

Speed runs are about mastery. So you have to play games and be motivated by perfecting even little detail.

If that doesn't motivate you, speed running would be utterly tedious

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
Old 08-21-2019, 08:10 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Nothing ever again!
Favorite beer: Bourbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post
Speed runs are about mastery. So you have to play games and be motivated by perfecting even little detail.

If that doesn't motivate you, speed running would be utterly tedious
Yeah, not for me. Sounds like it would almost need you to replay the same game several times in the same way so you can get it just right. I'm a lot more on the completionist side of things (well, okay, the actuarial version of completionist so about 85% complete and the other bits just aren't material). And while I enjoy replaying games, I don't like replaying them the same way I played them the first time through. I want to mix it up, go for a different play style, a different approach.

Watching my friend's kid "speed run" Dishonored was strange. I mean, realistically there's only so fast you can go through that game anyway... but the amount of stuff he didn't do at all just blew my mind. Plus, I always liked the challenge of going for shadow + clean hands on that one.
Old 08-23-2019, 08:07 PM
CAS SOA AAA

Studying for Done, bois!
College: UConn
Favorite beer: Barq's or Mug, or any local Root Beer with caffeine

Game Stop has a deal that effectively gives you $200 trade-in on the OG Switch. The new one (not the Lite, but the one that's the old one with a better processor and longer battery life) is $300. So, I upgraded my Switch for $100. They even let me transfer my account in-store, which only took about 5 minutes, but requires both Switches (Switchii? Switchum?) to be in close proximity.

All opinions are either my own, or made up for dramatic and/or comedic effect.

Old 08-25-2019, 12:32 PM

Favorite beer: pilseners

Lots of obsessions lately--

Minion Masters (aka someone cloned clash royale on steam) went to a beautiful lakehouse with friends but just played that obsessively. Bleh.

Slay the Spire: most obsessive game. A really great deck-builder.

Age of Rivals: neat little card game to play with my brother.

Kenshi: post apocalyptic open world rpg, with things like squad management and tech-trees. sounds cool, feels shitty in practice. .

Rimworld: My favorite base building/survival obsession. I went back to this after getting sick of everything else.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:38 AM
SOA

End of Rocket League ranked season today. Didn't hit my goals of Grand Champ in Dropshot or reaching Champ 2 in 1v1s. All good though. Definitely improved my consistency while playing fast (thanks dropshot) and mechanical skill this season. Not expecting it to be a massive challenge to reach Grand Champ rewards again next season, at least in 3v3, Rumble, and Snowday game modes. 2v2 and Hoops are more of a challenge for me.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:58 AM
It's a funny name.

nice. I finished the season as a high Silver 2 in 2's, low Silver 1 in 3's (I got some dud teammates in the last couple weeks, plus I haven't played it much).

I think I'm going to try to get myself to silver in 1's and maybe into gold for 2's next season. I don't know how realistic of a goal that is. For 1's, I think it's going to come down to making better decisions than I had been, so as not to give the opponent the easy goals. I've been playing a decent amount of 1's locally against all-star bots, and am winning nearly all of the games (but not all ) For 2's, I think improving at 1's will give me better ball control which will be huge. That plus some better aerial technique and I think I'm there all day.

Tags
atari, data science, gaming pc, predictive analytics, ps3, ps4, real analysis = real men, switch, vita, wii, wii u, xbox 360, xbox one