Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions


Not looking for a job? Tell us about your ideal job,
and we'll only contact you when it opens up.
https://www.dwsimpson.com/register


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #24991  
Old 08-30-2019, 11:37 AM
Sredni Vashtar's Avatar
Sredni Vashtar Sredni Vashtar is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Favorite beer: pilseners
Posts: 9,178
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstract Actuary View Post
The most obvious example is Mario Bros. I never let go of the turbo button. And when I played with someone who didn't it was frustrating to watch. It's like playing on a harder mode because you need quicker reaction time, better strategy, better planning. So trying to get through the level the fastest is how you could determine who was "better" at a game like that. Taking as a given that the two in comparison would both survive / beat the game a high percentage of time.
Decades ago, my college dorm held a mario-bros competition. It was fun, but I can't imagine doing again, on my own, for no reason. It must draw on some weird part of the brain.
__________________
L’humour est la politesse du désespoir
Reply With Quote
  #24992  
Old 08-31-2019, 11:34 AM
trueblade's Avatar
trueblade trueblade is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Castlevania
Studying for Freedom
Posts: 1,149
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wizard of Awe View Post
Still have to wrap up Yakuza Kiwami 2 first though. I keep getting sidetracked. I did all the substories, now I'm wrapping up the Majima Construction storyline. Then I think I have about four chapters of the main story left.
Kiwami 2 is on my to do list. Just did Kiwami a few months ago and definitely looking forward to get back to Kamurocho and continue the storyline.
__________________


ACAS 7 8 9
Reply With Quote
  #24993  
Old 09-03-2019, 01:38 AM
redearedslider's Avatar
redearedslider redearedslider is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 14,028
Default

Finished dq8 in about 50 hours. Not interested in grinding for the post game so I bought ff6 on my phone to pass the time and installed DQXI demo on my switch...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraham Weishaus View Post
ASM does not have a discussion of stimulation, but considering how boring the manual is, maybe it would be a good idea.
Reply With Quote
  #24994  
Old 09-03-2019, 10:19 AM
Fat Ninja's Avatar
Fat Ninja Fat Ninja is offline
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Studying for FSA
Posts: 221
Default

Just finished "The Messenger", highly recommended if you like side scrollers. At first I was put off by how simple it is but things pick up pretty quickly after that. The gameplay and design are solid and the things they do with the story to tie with gameplay mechanics are pretty clever. Music is pretty good and the characters are just oozing with personality, shoutout to the shopkeeper.
Reply With Quote
  #24995  
Old 09-03-2019, 02:56 PM
Helena Lake's Avatar
Helena Lake Helena Lake is offline
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Studying for Nothing ever again!
Favorite beer: Bourbon
Posts: 8,064
Default

Finished Divinity Original Sin 2. It was okay, but I liked the first one better. I dunno, the second one got kind of boring toward the end. I've played worse, and I'll still probably replay it... it just left me kind of flat.

I tried to play Pillars of Eternity... but the graphics and interface are just too old-school. It feels incredibly dated. I got it for PS4, and naively assumed it was a modern game, but I am now fairly sure it was an "update" of a really old game. Either way... the screen also flickered non-stop, so I can't play anyway. Gave me a headache within 30 minutes.

And because I lack originality... I'm playing Fallout 4 again. I lost all my save games a while back, so everything is starting from scratch.
__________________
This is where words go
Reply With Quote
  #24996  
Old 09-03-2019, 03:02 PM
trueblade's Avatar
trueblade trueblade is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Castlevania
Studying for Freedom
Posts: 1,149
Default

Finished Bloodstained - ritual of the night in 24 hours with map completion at 99.4%, didn't bother to investigate the remaining 0.6% and moved on to Assassin's Creed Odyssey. Actually I tried Assassin's Creed Ezio Collection for half an hour and gave it up eventually due to its clumsy control.
__________________


ACAS 7 8 9

Last edited by trueblade; 09-03-2019 at 03:05 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #24997  
Old 09-03-2019, 03:19 PM
Arroway's Avatar
Arroway Arroway is offline
Member
CAS SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: In a house
Studying for Done, bois!
College: UConn
Favorite beer: Barq's or Mug, or any local Root Beer with caffeine
Posts: 1,368
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblade View Post
Finished Bloodstained - ritual of the night in 24 hours with map completion at 99.4%, didn't bother to investigate the remaining 0.6% and moved on to Assassin's Creed Odyssey. Actually I tried Assassin's Creed Ezio Collection for half an hour and gave it up eventually due to its clumsy control.
Just add a zero to your Bloodstained hours to estimate how long it will take to get 99.4% in ACO.
__________________
Arroway, Injustice 2 Raid Leader

All opinions are either my own, or made up for dramatic and/or comedic effect.

Reply With Quote
  #24998  
Old 09-03-2019, 03:23 PM
Arroway's Avatar
Arroway Arroway is offline
Member
CAS SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: In a house
Studying for Done, bois!
College: UConn
Favorite beer: Barq's or Mug, or any local Root Beer with caffeine
Posts: 1,368
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena Lake View Post
Finished Divinity Original Sin 2. It was okay, but I liked the first one better. I dunno, the second one got kind of boring toward the end. I've played worse, and I'll still probably replay it... it just left me kind of flat.

I tried to play Pillars of Eternity... but the graphics and interface are just too old-school. It feels incredibly dated. I got it for PS4, and naively assumed it was a modern game, but I am now fairly sure it was an "update" of a really old game. Either way... the screen also flickered non-stop, so I can't play anyway. Gave me a headache within 30 minutes.
DOS2 is in my backlog, but I had forgotten about it.

Pillars page on PSN store confirms -- a major update to the game, but functionality update, not content update

EDIT -- I always get the two PoE games mixed up -- Pillars of Eternity and Path of Exile.
__________________
Arroway, Injustice 2 Raid Leader

All opinions are either my own, or made up for dramatic and/or comedic effect.

Reply With Quote
  #24999  
Old 09-03-2019, 05:52 PM
The Wizard of Awe's Avatar
The Wizard of Awe The Wizard of Awe is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,329
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblade View Post
Finished Bloodstained - ritual of the night in 24 hours with map completion at 99.4%, didn't bother to investigate the remaining 0.6% and moved on to Assassin's Creed Odyssey. Actually I tried Assassin's Creed Ezio Collection for half an hour and gave it up eventually due to its clumsy control.
So, there aren't two maps like SOTN?
Reply With Quote
  #25000  
Old 09-03-2019, 10:02 PM
trueblade's Avatar
trueblade trueblade is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Castlevania
Studying for Freedom
Posts: 1,149
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wizard of Awe View Post
So, there aren't two maps like SOTN?
Only one map, but the castle in this game has more rooms combined than SOTN rooms. SOTN's first castle had 1600, this has slightly over 1900.
__________________


ACAS 7 8 9
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
atari, data science, gaming pc, predictive analytics, ps3, ps4, real analysis = real men, switch, vita, wii, wii u, xbox 360, xbox one

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.46994 seconds with 12 queries