Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 09-03-2019, 10:08 PM
CAS

Studying for Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arroway View Post
Just add a zero to your Bloodstained hours to estimate how long it will take to get 99.4% in ACO.
That's crazy. Perhaps this game has similar amount of content as the Witcher 3 then. I spent about 170 hours on Witcher 3 main game. If I were to do the two DLC, probably will end up hitting close to 220 hours.

ACAS 7 8 9
Old 09-03-2019, 11:42 PM
CAS SOA AAA

Studying for Done, bois!
College: UConn
Favorite beer: Barq's or Mug, or any local Root Beer with caffeine

It has a ton of content. 240 hours is a slight exaggeration, but not much.

How long to beat has it at 120ish for the main game plus another 50-60 for the three DLCs combined.

All opinions are either my own, or made up for dramatic and/or comedic effect.

Old 09-04-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
Lots of obsessions lately--

Minion Masters (aka someone cloned clash royale on steam) went to a beautiful lakehouse with friends but just played that obsessively. Bleh.

Slay the Spire: most obsessive game. A really great deck-builder.

Age of Rivals: neat little card game to play with my brother.

Kenshi: post apocalyptic open world rpg, with things like squad management and tech-trees. sounds cool, feels shitty in practice. .

Rimworld: My favorite base building/survival obsession. I went back to this after getting sick of everything else.
I picked up Slay the Spire yesterday and am really enjoying it so far. Even though I've unlocked the second class I keep trying to climb with the first class because I feel like I'm getting better. I like how varied each run feels because I have to adjust my strategy on the fly based on the random elements. This seems like the type of game I'll be able to play off and on for a long time.
Old 09-04-2019, 12:12 PM
Non-Actuary

The September PS+ games dropped last night. Looks like one of the Batman games and a Darksiders game. Iíve never played either game or their predecessors, so Iím going into both blind. Iíve never even watched a Batman movie before, to be honest. People say that this is a pretty good month for games, so weíll see if I ever get around to playing them. Unfortunately, Iím generally finding that I donít have enough time to play these games. The internet is full of people complaining that we only get two games a month now, but I take a lot longer than a month to get through a single game, let alone two games.

Since I started subscribing in April, Iíve only completed two of the games. The first was What Remains of Edith Finch, which I finished in a single 3 hour sitting (more like an interactive movie than a game, but the story was super interesting so I didnít want to put it down). The second was Overcooked, where my wife and I three starred all the levels in co-op mode and later bought the sequel (fantastic couch co-op game). Iím also about a third of the way through Borderlands 2. I love the game, but Iím guessing itíll take me more than a year to finish the main game, let alone the other game and all the DLC that came with the PS+ bundle.

Aside from that, Iíve barely played any of the other games. I put a little time into that Pole Position style racing game, and also a little time into the old school Sonic game, but nowhere near completion for either one. Iíve installed all the free games, but for the vast majority of them, I play for 5 minutes, get bored, and never go back. My PS4 hard drive is full now too (had to delete stuff to install the September games), so going forward, itís probably even less likely that Iíll play these things. Iím subscribed to PS+ until April 2021 now (bought an initial year for $60 and another year for $40 when it went on sale), so my backlog is going to climb and climb.
Old 09-04-2019, 12:21 PM
CAS SOA AAA

Studying for Done, bois!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonactuarialactuary View Post

I’ve installed all the free games, but for the vast majority of them, I play for 5 minutes, get bored, and never go back. My PS4 hard drive is full now too (had to delete stuff to install the September games), so going forward, it’s probably even less likely that I’ll play these things. I’m subscribed to PS+ until April 2021 now (bought an initial year for $60 and another year for $40 when it went on sale), so my backlog is going to climb and climb.

External hard drive ftw, imo

Old 09-04-2019, 12:26 PM
It's a funny name.

Adding an external hard drive to a PS4 is incredibly easy, as is maintaining it. I have a 4TB attached to mine and set it to the default location for any game files. If I anticipate playing a lot of a game, I'll transfer the files to the internal HDD. But I don't really notice a difference in performance
Old 09-04-2019, 01:09 PM
Non-Actuary

Yeah Ė I might have to look into an external hard drive. I think I have an old one laying around somewhere, though itís probably tiny compared with what they have out now. These game install files are absolutely massive. Can you just plug it in via USB and forget about it? Itís easy enough to delete a game and reinstall it if I have to (I assume the saves are stored separately such that deleting a game doesnít delete my progress in it?), but I know myself better than that. If I have to take ten minutes deleting old games and another hour+ waiting for the new game to reinstall, chances are, Iíll move onto something else before the gameís ready, and then never play the game. A couple months later, Iíll delete the game to free up space, and the cycle will repeat itself. Basically, the idea of learning another new game and all the controls is pretty daunting to me, so I always just default to hopping into an old mainstay like MLB The Show. Iíll have hundreds of hours into that game when all is said and done, even if my typical PS+ game only gets played for five minutes or so.
Old 09-04-2019, 01:13 PM
SOA

College: JCU

Been playing No Man's Sky. Played it for 10 hours when it first released back in 2016 when it was not much more than a stinking pile, but they have expanded the game so much since then. Picked it back up after Beyond dropped last month and I haven't been able to put it down. It is so much better now.
Old 09-04-2019, 01:18 PM
CAS SOA AAA

Studying for Done, bois!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonactuarialactuary View Post
Yeah Ė I might have to look into an external hard drive. I think I have an old one laying around somewhere, though itís probably tiny compared with what they have out now. These game install files are absolutely massive. Can you just plug it in via USB and forget about it? Itís easy enough to delete a game and reinstall it if I have to (I assume the saves are stored separately such that deleting a game doesnít delete my progress in it?), but I know myself better than that. If I have to take ten minutes deleting old games and another hour+ waiting for the new game to reinstall, chances are, Iíll move onto something else before the gameís ready, and then never play the game. A couple months later, Iíll delete the game to free up space, and the cycle will repeat itself. Basically, the idea of learning another new game and all the controls is pretty daunting to me, so I always just default to hopping into an old mainstay like MLB The Show. Iíll have hundreds of hours into that game when all is said and done, even if my typical PS+ game only gets played for five minutes or so.
1. Yes, plug it in and forget about it. I think default is it saves to whichever one has the most free space, but you can change that in settings to just always install to the external if you want.

2. PS+ includes free cloud saves, so yes, deleting the game doesn't mean losing the save. Theoretically if you reinstall the game it should automatically find the cloud save, but in my experience, you sometimes have to manually download it. Save files aren't large, so they download fast, you just may have to remember to do it manually.

Old 09-04-2019, 02:24 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Nothing ever again!
Favorite beer: Bourbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arroway View Post
External hard drive ftw, imo
Only way to roll

Tags
atari, data science, gaming pc, predictive analytics, ps3, ps4, real analysis = real men, switch, vita, wii, wii u, xbox 360, xbox one