Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 07-11-2013, 12:07 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout
Default WTF Science

Inspired by wtf evolution:
http://wtfevolution.tumblr.com/

and ZME Science and their crazy science stories

we have this:
http://www.zmescience.com/medicine/f...ZME+Science%29

Quote:
Research on nematodes have always been convenient for scientists. For one, they grow and breed really fast, making them ideal for work pertaining to genetics. Some of them have amazing properties, like the planaria or “flatworm”, which some scientists believe it possesses the indefinite ability to regenerate its cells and thus practically never grow old. It soon became the object of intense research as scientists are trying to unravel the key to its longevity and whether or not it could be possible to transfer it to humans.

The planaria’s startling regenerative abilities don’t end here apparently. Researchers at Tufts University have determined that the small, yellow worm is able to grow back a lot more than just its lost body parts: it can regain its memories too!

These small worms detest open spaces and bright lights, however some of them were trained by the researchers to ignore these stimuli and make their way through them to reach food. After decapitating specimens and after the worms grew back their heads, they were inserted back in the experimental set-up. Even after decapitation, worms that had gone through training were able to overcome their fears and start eating much faster than worms that hadn’t been trained. The scientists made certain that no bit of brain survived during the decapitation process. It’s worth nothing, however, that the memories didn’t come back immediately. The researchers still had to teach them to ignore the bothersome stimuli, but only once, like a sort of reminder if you will. How is such a thing possible though? It’s still unclear how, but the scientists suggest the planaria might store their memories in various parts of their bodies, not just in the head. Alternatively, they suggest that the worms’ original brain may have modified their nervous systems, and their nervous systems may have then altered how the new brains formed during regrowth.

LinkedIn Profile
Old 07-11-2013, 12:18 PM

Here's a safety tip regarding flatworms: If you notice that they have evolved from flatworms to primates in a matter of days, do not hit them with napalm.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:45 PM
CAS SOA

Studying for Exam 5

Awesome!
Old 07-12-2013, 03:59 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

http://phys.org/news/2013-07-link-qu...me-theory.html

Quote:
While research tends to become very specialized and entire communities of scientists can work on specific topics with only a little overlap between them, physicist Dr Nicolas Brunner and mathematician Professor Noah Linden worked together to uncover a deep and unexpected connection between their two fields of expertise: game theory and quantum physics.
Dr Brunner said: "Once in a while, connections are established between topics which seem, on the face of it, to have nothing in common. Such new links have potential to trigger significant progress and open entirely new avenues for research."

In a paper published in Nature Communications, Dr Brunner and Professor Linden showed that the two above subjects are in fact deeply connected with the same concepts appearing in both fields. For instance, the physical notion of locality appears naturally in games where players adopt a classical strategy. In fact the principle of locality sets a fundamental limit to the performance achievable by classical players (that is, bound by the rules of classical physics).
Next, by bringing quantum mechanics into the game, the researchers showed that players who can use quantum resources, such as entangled quantum particles, can outperform classical players. That is, quantum players achieve better performance than any classical player ever could.
Dr Brunner said: "Such an advantage could, for instance, be useful in auctions which are well described by the type of games that we considered. Therefore, our work not only opens a bridge between two remote scientific communities, but also opens novel possible applications for quantum technologies."

the abstract
http://www.nature.com/ncomms/2013/13...comms3057.html

Quote:
In 1964, Bell discovered that quantum mechanics is a nonlocal theory. Three years later, in a seemingly unconnected development, Harsanyi introduced the concept of Bayesian games. Here we show that, in fact, there is a deep connection between Bell nonlocality and Bayesian games, and that the same concepts appear in both fields. This link offers interesting possibilities for Bayesian games, namely of allowing the players to receive advice in the form of nonlocal correlations, for instance using entangled quantum particles or more general no-signalling boxes. This will lead to novel joint strategies, impossible to achieve classically. We characterize games for which nonlocal resources offer a genuine advantage over classical ones. Moreover, some of these strategies represent equilibrium points, leading to the notion of quantum/no-signalling Nash equilibrium. Finally, we describe new types of question in the study of nonlocality, namely the consideration of nonlocal advantage given a set of Bell expressions.

LinkedIn Profile
Old 07-12-2013, 04:07 PM
Now 20% less conceivable!
CAS

Damn Nature, you scary!
Old 07-12-2013, 04:40 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for GED
Favorite beer: Scieoclean

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
Inspired by wtf evolution:
http://wtfevolution.tumblr.com/

and ZME Science and their crazy science stories

we have this:
http://www.zmescience.com/medicine/f...ZME+Science%29
muscle memory, /research
Old 07-12-2013, 04:53 PM
Free Mason

Studying for Let me worry about blank
Favorite beer: Trappistes Rochefort 8

I've combined all of those. I can have sex with two women at the same time, and then my penis remembers that it really enjoyed that, even after it was cut off.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:58 PM
Official AO Grill Master
SOA

Studying for :lol:
Favorite beer: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boba Fett Cake Pan View Post
Here's a safety tip regarding flatworms: If you notice that they have evolved from flatworms to primates in a matter of days, do not hit them with napalm.
RN, I think
Old 07-12-2013, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDucky View Post
I've combined all of those. I can have sex with two women at the same time, and then my penis remembers that it really enjoyed that, even after it was cut off.
I want you amongst my compadres when the world goes to hell.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:06 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

oh my beautiful thread

what have they done to you

LinkedIn Profile