Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment > Resume & Cover Letter Advice Forum
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

Old 11-08-2014, 03:34 AM
SOA

Default Resume Critique

I posted my resume for any kinds of criticizing/brutalizing.

Don't mind the weird spacing in job experience section.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf RESUME AO.pdf (131.2 KB, 258 views)
Old 11-08-2014, 11:35 AM
CAS AAA

Studying for the kids
Favorite beer: Whiskey, Irish

Just a few things at first glance...

Move exams to the top

Dont make the section headings so big and I would say to remove the underlining The bullets are huge. Make sure your dates line up
Disclaimer: This post is likely sarcastic in nature and in no way represents Sine Language's actual opinion and sentiment
Old 11-08-2014, 06:35 PM
SOA

Thanks for the tips Sine Language

Any other suggestions?
Old 11-08-2014, 07:47 PM
CAS

The bullet points look really big.

Do you mean applied math and economics? or is your degree applied math in economics?

Right align the dates (not just put them on the right, but align them). Fix alignment of your degree name.

I'd drop the coursework description. We can guess coursework from your major.

I'd put actuarial exams on the top.
Why is there a comma after sept but not after dec?

Experience comes before any academic projects in my opinion (even if irrelevant experience). Fix the alignment of your job name. Date alignment is off. You don't need a location (especially if for everything else you don't have a location).

Maybe I'm an idiot, but I didn't know what AYCE was until I googled it. First-time needs a hyphen. Write out barbeque. Overall these bullets all sound kind of naive/unprofessional/make you sound like a non-native English speaker. You should simplify a lot of this. We know what customer service is - you don't need to define it. Don't mention that you showed improvement in serving skills (that kind of implies that you started out bad at it). Don't go into the details of the amount of the tip you got. I'd skip that whole bullet. Skip the fact that you transferred locations, but do mention that you trained employees (something as simple as "Trained new employees" will suffice). This job shouldn't have more than 3 or 4 bullets max, and they need to be simpler and more concise.

For your skills just say "Proficient in Excel; Working knowledge of Eviews (statistical software)." Don't mention Word or PowerPoint. I would not mention Korean unless you have a really good reason to - otherwise it makes me think that you are not a native speaker of English. I would skip the line about picking up programming skills quickly - you can mention this in an interview. You mentioned Python in the academic project section - if you know Python, why not mention it here?
Old 11-08-2014, 07:48 PM
CAS

Don't say "SOA" exam. Just say "Exam P/1" or something.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:49 PM
CAS

Consider putting a bullet point under your education mentioning that you were involved in research and a brief summary. I wouldn't expand much more than that though and would probably drop the academic project section.

Change "job experience" to "experience."
Old 11-09-2014, 03:23 PM
Note Contributor
Non-Actuary

Studying for MFE

I'd not only get rid of the underlining, I'd get rid of the all-caps.

Standard format it to not use a comma between month and year.

If you don't get rid of coursework, which you should, especially get rid of the "extensive coursework in mathematics and economics". Duh. Since it appears you're trying to fill space, I'd put the two GPAs on separate lines.

In the exams, I'd get rid of the hyphens and "in"s and left align passed/sitting and the dates.

Academic Project seems lame. It seems like you're trying to fill space. The first bullet really doesn't say anything at all other than "group". Until I hit this word, I wasn't quite clear whether this was just an assignment in a class, or whether it was research you were working on. Assignment makes it less impressive. All those words in the middle of the first bullet seem to indicate that you didn't use those words at the end of the bullet anyway. And the words at the end are likely not ones your average reader would know, anyway, so there's little point in using them. 3rd one doesn't say much either. I'd not use "demo".

I agree with lllj that the server stuff is over the top. I'd make it a couple bullets tops. I maybe disagree about the transfer - if it can be integrated with the training. The bullet maybe implies that now, but doesn't directly tie the two. I'd try to write it in a way that stresses you were sent to train the staff at the new restaurant.

Avoid "fast-paced". If you keep it, hyphenate it.

I assume you're talking about Korean BBQ, then, otherwise the concept of needing to explain seems dumb. If you keep a bullet kind of like that, explicitly say Korean BBQ.

The bullets go on too long and lose emphasis by doing that. For example, after saying "trained new employees", stop. It doesn't benefit you to go on to the fine details of lighting a grill. The less specific you are about little stuff, the better.

Similar thing with the tips. "by taking a test" just makes it less impressive. Although I agree with lllj that the tip one should go anyway. I've not worked at restaurants, but the idea of tips as a promotion seems to say less about you doing well and more about the employer being an a**hole.

I'd avoid semicolons. A comma would work in the computer skills line. However, since it looks like you're trying to fill space, anyway, I'd split it into two lines. I'd also avoid all parenthesis.

TO DONATE, OR FOR MORE INFO, CLICK HERE
Old 12-22-2014, 01:16 AM
SOA

i uploaded a revised version of the resume

is this one looking ok?
Attached Images
File Type: pdf RESUME2 AO.pdf (102.1 KB, 93 views)
Old 12-22-2014, 09:12 PM
CAS

Use bullet points, not hyphens. (Although avoid the giant bullet points you had before.)

BBQ should be capitalized (or written out - barbeque).

Say "to maximize the restaurant's profit" instead of "to provide the restaurant maximum profit."

Capitalize "inspected."

As I mentioned before, I would recommend not mentioning that you speak Korean unless you have a really good reason. I think it may be more likely to hurt than help. Although it's up to you and others' opinions may differ.

If you used Python for your school project, why is it not listed under your skills? If I want to see if someone has programming experience, I immediately look at the skills section. Based on my first glance of this resume, I would assume that you do not have programming experience (I'm not familiar with Eviews).

Overall it's looking a lot better in my opinion.

I'd recommend learning basic VBA because it's not hard to learn and because it will spruce up your resume a bit. (Learn how to make a button, click that button, and have numbers appear in a certain cell. Then learn how to use ifs - if cell A5 = 1, then make cell B5 = 2. Then learn how to do some loops like for/next - for cells A1 through A10, if the number is greater than 5 make the cell red. Then learn what an event macro is. Practice those things a few times. Now you know all you need to know - possibly more - to put VBA on a resume and talk about it in an interview.)

Overall your main hindrances will be exam progress and lack of relevant work experience. Two exams is good but given that you don't have a lot of relevant work experience you may need a little more than usual.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:55 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllj View Post
Use bullet points, not hyphens. (Although avoid the giant bullet points you had before.)

BBQ should be capitalized (or written out - barbeque).

Say "to maximize the restaurant's profit" instead of "to provide the restaurant maximum profit."

Capitalize "inspected."

As I mentioned before, I would recommend not mentioning that you speak Korean unless you have a really good reason. I think it may be more likely to hurt than help. Although it's up to you and others' opinions may differ.

If you used Python for your school project, why is it not listed under your skills? If I want to see if someone has programming experience, I immediately look at the skills section. Based on my first glance of this resume, I would assume that you do not have programming experience (I'm not familiar with Eviews).

Overall it's looking a lot better in my opinion.

I'd recommend learning basic VBA because it's not hard to learn and because it will spruce up your resume a bit. (Learn how to make a button, click that button, and have numbers appear in a certain cell. Then learn how to use ifs - if cell A5 = 1, then make cell B5 = 2. Then learn how to do some loops like for/next - for cells A1 through A10, if the number is greater than 5 make the cell red. Then learn what an event macro is. Practice those things a few times. Now you know all you need to know - possibly more - to put VBA on a resume and talk about it in an interview.)

Overall your main hindrances will be exam progress and lack of relevant work experience. Two exams is good but given that you don't have a lot of relevant work experience you may need a little more than usual.
I am not listing Python under the skills section because only experience with Python was from the academic project and we were pretty much hand-guided by the graduate student that was helping us with the project. My actual programming experience comes from Java I took in high school, intro C++ course and assembly language courses from college.

I understand that I am seriously lacking in the exams and experience departments. How many exams are you thinking I will need given that I pretty much have no actuarial work experience?