Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Finance - Investments
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Finance - Investments Sub-forum: Non-Actuarial Personal Finance/Investing

Old 09-23-2015, 11:20 AM
SOA

Favorite beer: Cold and lots of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by soyleche View Post
You'll pay it off a bit faster by applying the extra payments to the larger interest rate first (and still doing the snowball thing), but there is a psychological boost that comes with paying off debts, so starting with the lowest balance can be helpful in that regard.
Agree, fortunately in this case, both the higher interest and lowest balance are the same place so double whammy.

Officially assigned the role of Dictator, 9/30/09. Bow to my whims.
Old 09-23-2015, 11:30 AM
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary

Studying for Nothing actuarial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruteForce View Post
Just pay down the smaller loan first, regardless of interest rate. Then snowball those payments into the bigger loan. Worked well for me to get out of debt.
It may work psychologically, but it would have been faster to do it the other way. Congrats on getting out of debt!

ETA - ninja'd by soyleche and Suze.

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.

My latest favorite quotes, updated Nov. 20, 2018.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
All purpose response for careers forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
Depends upon the employer and the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Actuario View Post
Therapists should ask the right questions, not give the right answers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
I feel like ERM is 90% buzzwords, and that the underlying agenda is to make sure at least one of your Corporate Officers is not dumb.
Old 09-23-2015, 11:43 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for Japanese
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: La Croix Grapefruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyZ View Post
Without giving the full detail, suppose I have two loans:

A: $10,000 balance, 12% APR
B: $3,000 balance, 24% APR

Conventional wisdom says you should pay off the 24% loan first, but why aren't you paying down the $10,000 loan until the interest accumulating is less than the 24% loan, then paying down the 24% loan until the interest on the 12% loan is more, etc.?
The interest rates are a % of outstanding balance. I'm assuming you're going to throw the same $ at the loan(s) regardless of how you allocate it. So say you want to pay down $1000 in addition to your required payments.

If you pay loan A, you save $120/yr in annual interest. For B, it's $240/yr. (Oversimplified but you get it.)

#examFM
Old 09-23-2015, 12:02 PM

Are we being trolled? Please tell me you are not an actuary and have no intentions of going into any math related field.
Old 09-30-2015, 03:44 AM
CAS

And then the next point would be that I should start making all my payments on the 1st of the month and not the 30th so that I'm saving next to nothing in extra interest, which is better than saving nothing

I don't really see the practical point of this when it comes to a home - sure, I can rationalize putting extra money each month in my investments because in the long run I'm expecting to get 7% versus the pathetic 1.9% on my car loan, but I'm not going to be taking out a home loan until I'm out of debt 100%, which my debts all maturing at the planned month I'm going to buy which will maximize my credit

At that point, it's basically a mortgage, insurance, gas, and food, and I've already set aside my preferred amount in investments so I'd rather have a home over my head my kids can inherit when I drop dead at 41 from a sudden brain aneurysm just when I'm hitting my stride
Old 09-30-2015, 09:18 AM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Civil Society Fresh IPA

Your children don't want to live in your old house. Just like they don't want your old car. So if it's just the equity they care about, for the purposes of inheritance your house is just a financial vehicle - and an incredibly poor one at that.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:28 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyZ View Post
And then the next point would be that I should start making all my payments on the 1st of the month and not the 30th so that I'm saving next to nothing in extra interest, which is better than saving nothing

I don't really see the practical point of this when it comes to a home - sure, I can rationalize putting extra money each month in my investments because in the long run I'm expecting to get 7% versus the pathetic 1.9% on my car loan, but I'm not going to be taking out a home loan until I'm out of debt 100%, which my debts all maturing at the planned month I'm going to buy which will maximize my credit

At that point, it's basically a mortgage, insurance, gas, and food, and I've already set aside my preferred amount in investments so I'd rather have a home over my head my kids can inherit when I drop dead at 41 from a sudden brain aneurysm just when I'm hitting my stride
Get some Term life.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:23 AM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Civil Society Fresh IPA

Don't forget to invest the difference!
Old 09-30-2015, 01:43 PM
CAS

Studying for this space for rent

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonlnear View Post
Your children don't want to live in your old house. Just like they don't want your old car. So if it's just the equity they care about, for the purposes of inheritance your house is just a financial vehicle - and an incredibly poor one at that.
And if you get a better return in the stock market, if you gave your kids your well-funded investment accounts they could buy the house and have more left over. (assuming you even have that much, that is, I'm over 41 and my house won't likely be paid off for another 10 years)

Old 09-30-2015, 03:01 PM
CAS SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Curmudgeon's Better 1/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaymen View Post
I'm over 41
42?