Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 04-08-2019, 12:24 PM
SOA

College: Central Connecticut State University
Default Online Reputations and Job Offers

Hello friends! This is my first thread on the outpost, took the admin almost a month to validate my account. Much love to you all.

Last year I ran into some trouble with the law. I'm going through classes that will result in the dismissal of my case and a clean record. There is however, one small problem. When my name is searched, one of the first entries is my town's police blotter, listing my name as well as the nature of my charges. I worked to clear my name and record with the law, and amend for past mistakes, but I fear when employers search my name and see this website, they'll immediately toss out my resume.

So I guess my question is are there any people who work in recruitment or HR of an actuarial firm who could tell me what you would do if you saw an excellent candidate who happened to have something of this nature linked to his name online? What would you do with his resume? Also if anybody has any tips for how to get more search results above the website to push it off the first page of google that would be great. My record will be clean but there will still be this damaging article floating around the web. Should I just give up on finding an actuarial career, or is this the type of thing that can be ignored by recruiters.

To anyone who reads this post, thanks for your feedback. I have the FM exam passed, over a 3.1 GPA, and a history of work experience, albeit not in the actuarial industry. I'm also scheduled to take IFM this June, and I've been studying with adapt. Any tips from anyone is appreciated.
Old 04-08-2019, 12:29 PM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for ACAS
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Most German dark lagers

I wonder if you meant to post this in the Careers Forum. That will be where you'll get the best responses.

Many that would have some insight to your situation don't come here to NAT.

You can move this thread by using "Thread Tools > Move Thread"

Why should I worry about dying? Itís not going to happen in my lifetime!

Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES
Old 04-08-2019, 12:56 PM

https://singularishc.com/image-management/
Old 04-08-2019, 01:03 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Japanese
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: La Croix Grapefruit

I'd see about getting a lawyer to have them remove the information. Background check people will absolutely google you.

In any case, becoming the best candidate you can and having a real good story lined up are your best bets.
Old 04-08-2019, 01:13 PM

Favorite beer: the closest one

There are definitely private companies that can help deal with google results, there's a whole article on it here:
https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...one-jon-ronson
There might be other ideas floating around the internet too, but it seems a general "build up your internet presence" approach might help knock it down the list a bit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the North View Post
Excel gave me #VALUE.

Edit: Nevermind, I was linking a sumif and didn't open the linked spreadsheet. It is now giving me #N/A.
Old 04-08-2019, 01:14 PM
Full Fledged Member

Most likely, they aren't going to be googling your name...they will use a third-party source that basically checks if you are a convicted felon.
Old 04-08-2019, 01:18 PM
SOA

Studying for a hobby.
Favorite beer: Guinness

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Most likely, they aren't going to be googling your name...they will use a third-party source that basically checks if you are a convicted felon.
When I was interviewing candidates, I certainly Google'd. HR might not bother, but the hiring team likely would.
Old 04-08-2019, 01:30 PM

Obvious response: depends what the (alleged) offense is. Possession of marijuana or something along that lines, nobody will care. Assault or other violent crime, or a financial-related issue (embezzlement, e.g.), and that would be very not good. Anything between that, it's going to depend on how that online write-up reads and the particular hot buttons of the hiring team. And if it's expunged, I'd have a question for HR on whether I can legally act on it or not.
Old 04-08-2019, 01:36 PM
Full Fledged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by urysohn View Post
Obvious response: depends what the (alleged) offense is. Possession of marijuana or something along that lines, nobody will care. Assault or other violent crime, or a financial-related issue (embezzlement, e.g.), and that would be very not good. Anything between that, it's going to depend on how that online write-up reads and the particular hot buttons of the hiring team. And if it's expunged, I'd have a question for HR on whether I can legally act on it or not.
IF someone looks and finds the article, this would be my follow up question. Let's say you are the hiring team and find this article. You aren't going to directly ask the person about it, are you ? Tell HR ? There isn't any follow up that makes sense, to me at least.

My guess is that a violent or financial crime would not be able to be expunged through a series of classes.

It is tough to say what I personally would do as OP not knowing the full situation.
Old 04-08-2019, 01:37 PM

Do you have a common name? Is it in the first pages of google when you search your name?

My name isn't so common, but there are dozens of me in the world and I don't even show up in the first page of google.

Tags
internship, legal, online, reputation, resume