Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Long-Term Actuarial Math
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Long-Term Actuarial Math Old Exam MLC Forum

Old 03-24-2018, 11:01 AM
SOA

Studying for LTAM
College: Georgia State University Alumni

Just registered yesterday!
Let's push to the finish line in 4 weeks...
Old 03-26-2018, 09:19 PM
SOA

Do we receive any partial credit for the WA portion of the exam?
Old 03-26-2018, 09:50 PM
SOA

College: Wabash College B.A. 1962, Stanford Ph.D. 1965

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActuariallyDecentAtBest View Post
Do we receive any partial credit for the WA portion of the exam?
I was told once by the SoA that credit on WA questions can be awarded in half-point increments.
jimdaniel@actuarialseminars.com
Old 03-27-2018, 02:38 PM
SOA

Studying for Global Conquest
College: Ball State University, Alumni, M.A.
Favorite beer: Coffee and more Coffee

For those that have worked some of the ASM practice exams, how do you feel that compares to the actual exam?
Old 03-28-2018, 04:55 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Daniel View Post
I was told once by the SoA that credit on WA questions can be awarded in half-point increments.
Interesting. I find it extremely puzzling for them to not release any details of this whatsoever.
Old 04-01-2018, 04:49 PM
SOA

College: Illinois State University
Favorite beer: Lagunitas
Default Grinding

Happy Easter! About 3 weeks out from my first sitting and just got up to a level 6.3 on Adapt after struggling to break 5.9 for awhile. I'm pretty pumped about where I'm at. Are most people staying around this level of difficulty? What's people's experience with the real exam compared to Adapt level difficulty?

I'm probably going to turn my attention to the written section now. I'll start taking 2 hour long written practice exams and combine the two portions for full length practice exams in the final week or so.

Best of luck to all!
Old 04-02-2018, 10:16 PM
SOA

Studying for Exam MLC
College: University of Louisville Alumni
Favorite beer: Zombie Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeenasaurus View Post
Happy Easter! About 3 weeks out from my first sitting and just got up to a level 6.3 on Adapt after struggling to break 5.9 for awhile. I'm pretty pumped about where I'm at. Are most people staying around this level of difficulty? What's people's experience with the real exam compared to Adapt level difficulty?

I'm probably going to turn my attention to the written section now. I'll start taking 2 hour long written practice exams and combine the two portions for full length practice exams in the final week or so.

Best of luck to all!
I'm at a level 6.7 and honestly I feel like the questions are really difficult at this level. It's definitely stuff I should know and after reviewing the problems a lot of it makes sense but I can't see myself getting above a 7 EL. I think the real exam MC is around a 5-6. WA will have probably 3 that are that same level and then couple that are EL 7-8. The WA is hard. I just took one exam yesterday that was pre WA and got 18/20...I would've crushed the old exams. This is my 3rd sitting. My plan is to absolutely annihilate the MC (at least 18/20) and do well on at least 3 WA bc that will secure a pass.

And NUH is the letter I use to spell Nutches
Who live in small caves, known as Nitches, for hutches,
These Nutches have troubles, the biggest of which is
the fact there are many more Nutches than Nitches.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:23 AM
SOA

I'm at a 3.8 - I know, not good. I'm holding myself to the time and not allowing myself to use the formula sheets for the practice exams. This has been my downfall. I'm generally able to answer all the questions afterwards when I have more time.

I started working through written answer this week, and began memorizing the formulas I haven't memorized just by working problems. I'm hoping these things help give me a few big jumps in EL in my next two to three Adapt exams.
Old 04-03-2018, 11:22 AM
SOA

College: Illinois State University
Favorite beer: Lagunitas

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerpetualMotion View Post
I'm at a level 6.7 and honestly I feel like the questions are really difficult at this level. It's definitely stuff I should know and after reviewing the problems a lot of it makes sense but I can't see myself getting above a 7 EL. I think the real exam MC is around a 5-6. WA will have probably 3 that are that same level and then couple that are EL 7-8. The WA is hard. I just took one exam yesterday that was pre WA and got 18/20...I would've crushed the old exams. This is my 3rd sitting. My plan is to absolutely annihilate the MC (at least 18/20) and do well on at least 3 WA bc that will secure a pass.
Dang this makes me feel a little more uneasy. I've read the MC is more around a 4 but it is what it is. I took my first practice written exam yesterday, the Spring '14 one, and thought it was easier than what people were saying. Scoring myself I got a 42/56 which is pretty decent. I really only messed up on #3 (Which btw, why is this an MLC question? Seems more like a question you'd find on P...) and the end of #6.

Also, is there anywhere I can find a rank of the difficulty of the past written exams? Coaching Actuaries maybe? Anyone who's gone through them all have an opinion?
Old 04-03-2018, 08:57 PM
SOA

College: Lehigh University Alumnus
Favorite beer: Victory HopDevil IPA

The past 3 weeks have been unproductive for me, as I've only managed to get through 5 more practice MC exams. I'm through 10 MC exams on ADAPT and had my score drop from 7.0 to 6.7 this morning. Speed is a major issue for me and I need to memorize a lot yet. I've been relying on the formula sheet so far.

Keep up the hard work, everyone, and stay focused for just 3 more weeks!